Apple's Interactive Mobile Website Highlights New Features of 2018 iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 14, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is featuring a mobile website that allows visitors to interact with the 2018 iPad Pro, "the biggest change to iPad since iPad," according to the interactive website's banner (via Reddit). The page features four tabs revolving around the biggest features of the new iPad Pro: screen size, Face ID, thinner design, and new Apple Pencil.

The site starts out displaying an older model iPad Pro with a Home button and large top and bottom bezels, but a tap on the screen swaps this model out with the 11-inch 2018 iPad Pro. These models have much thinner bezels and no Home button.

[​IMG]

To unlock the new iPad Pro, users implement a swipe up motion, much like iPhone X family devices. There's also Face ID to secure the iPad Pro, and the second tab on the new website allows users to simulate this unlocking process by swiping up on the tablet's screen.

The third tab lets visitors tilt their iPhone or iPad to see new angles of the 2018 iPad Pro and its thin design, while the final tab instructs users to swipe and attach the Apple Pencil magnetically to the side of the tablet. From here, customers can tap "Learn more" to watch videos, read more details, and purchase an iPad Pro on Apple's website.

The iPad Pro micro-site follows in the footsteps of a similar website that Apple debuted for the iPhone XS and XS Max last September.

You can check out the website for yourself by following this link on the mobile version of Safari or Chrome.

Article Link: Apple's Interactive Mobile Website Highlights New Features of 2018 iPad Pro

2. Amacfa macrumors 68000

Amacfa

The interactive experience felt...meh

3. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Wow, that takes me back. I haven’t had lag like that when visiting a website since I updated my iPhone 4 to iOS 7.

What a dreadful user experience. They should’ve put that into the Apple Store app instead so it’d actually run smoothly.

4. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

What device are you viewing it on? It runs fine on my iPhone 7 although the animations were somewhat slow anyway

5. now i see it macrumors 68030

Still just an iPad no matter how much hype it gets.

6. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

What hype is it getting?

7. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

Where is the feature where I pull it out of the box and its bent?

8. newellj macrumors 604

Not much at MR, for sure! :rolleyes:

9. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

iPhone X. Very frustrating to use. I gave up shortly after the “swipe to unlock”. The animations really aren’t smooth.

10. Defthand macrumors 6502a

Those are ergonomic improvements. What about desktop–caliber utility? No? Fine, then quit pretending it’s anything more than a giant iPhone.

11. GoodWheaties macrumors 6502a

GoodWheaties

12. Unity451 macrumors regular

Unity451

Expect to see ads trying to get you to upgrade to a XR now.

13. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

You mean downgrade? ;)

14. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

I’m still trying to understand the need some have for an iPad. As far as I can tell, it’s a very large iPhone. Same iOS and apps, correct?

I was looking for something small, nimble and able to get the job done. Was comparing iPad Pro to the newest Surface. Surface has full-blown OS, iPad doesn’t.

So what is the draw to the iPad?

15. jbc25 macrumors newbie

16. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

And yet, a device I wouldn’t have given a second thought with the pre-ios11 software and pre-pro hardware, but is now my primary computing device with the exception of programming projects. You may not see it yet, but the iPad is gradually gaining features that is making it a more than capable main computer for most people.

17. entropys macrumors 6502

entropys

Agreed. It does need to be better at being a PC than a PC in OS functions, as it already has the best touch interface.
    OS wise, I don’t understand comparisons to a Surface, where touch once you get past the main screen in applications is...sub optimal. If anything, it is a demonstration of why reverse application of touch onto an OS designed for mouse and keyboard input is a kludge. I won’t buy another Surface Pro.
    The only thing a Surface actually has over the iPad is comprehensive file management and full peripheral support (which it has to because of its touch limitations).
    On the other hand why Apple hasn’t ensured the iPad plays well with others so that “it just works” is a mystery. And turn it into a PC killer by being a better PC.

18. iGeek2014 macrumors 68020

Maybe it’s just me but I feel the Apple Store app isn’t as fluid as it should be at times.

Oh, and it might be the best iPad Pro “yet” but why remove the OIS from the camera...

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

In a desktop web browser the site displays the message "Please visit this experience using mobile Safari or Chrome browser."

Nitpickers might point out that the sentence isn't grammatical, you experience an experience rather than visit it, and the sentence is ambiguous since it could be referring only to mobile Chrome or to any version of Chrome. Then again, "Think different" wasn't proper English and Apple got by with the phrase just fine.

In any case, MacRumors explained it properly-er.

20. drumcat macrumors 6502a

drumcat

Great. Where can I plug in my headphones?