Apple's iOS policy

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Armen, Feb 19, 2015.

?

What Version of iOS would you install?

1. iOS 5: I'm feeling really retro!

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. iOS 6: I love the Fisher Price Look!

16 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. iOS 7: I'm not a fan of iOS 8 to be honest

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  4. iOS 8: Why the heck would I go backwards and lose features and security patches?

44 vote(s)
    67.7%
  1. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

If Apple allowed users to install whatever version of iOS they wanted on their device but would offer no support and not force developers to support an older version if there were any issues (outside of critical issues) which version would you install on your current device?

2. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Ios 7.1 if I had to choose between that or 8.1.3 but I'm pretty happy with 8.3. Ecstatic when new builds come to improve battery life.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

I remember all kinds of comments attributing the "Fisher Price Look" to the new/current iOS 7 and above design (vs. the older iOS 6 and below).

4. Zxxv macrumors 68040

8 is fine for me now but I do like the old steve jobs designed iOS look

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Given when iOS 7+ look must have already been in the works if not even further than that, it's likely Steve Jobs had a hand in that design as well.

6. Armen, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015

Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

Although iOS 6 looked better than Android at the time the color palettes and icons to me made it seem like Fisher Price designed it.

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Even though I sometimes moan and groan about change I DO like the latest and greatest iOS version which is 8.1.3. :D

8. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

I don't think that's true, Jony Ive said they had to redesign the OS in under a year.

9. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

This is how I feel as well. Every time I'd see a "I want iOS 6 back!" thread I'd scratch my head and think "why would you go back to less features and security?".

It never made sense to me. The poll results thus far validate that I'm not the only one who wouldn't go back.

10. ronjon10 macrumors regular

On my iPad2, the latest version of 7.

I'm fine with 8.x on my iPhone 5

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, for many people the features they had were just fine and they dont necesasrily need more. As for security, while a valid point in the overall sense, given that nothing has really been exploited in the real world one can see why that might not be of that much concern to someone. When comparing all of that to someone having issues with their device with the new version compared to everything being just fine in the older one, the trade off doesn't seem like a trade off really.

12. I7guy macrumors G5

Except there is the issue of support for older protocols and app versions that I'm sure Apple wants to be done with rather than encourage.

As I said Apple has to have a good reason for this policy.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Just as there are good and perhaps better reasons (especially for consumers and in particular for those with various issues) to not have it.

14. Rhonindk, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

The fit and finish of 6 was very good. Took a bit, but Apple got it.
    The new look for iOS7 was strictly a JI "want what I want" that was never finished.
    Then we come to iOS8 .... looks like 7. Too bad Apple broke it and has yet to fix it. Bet it's still busted when we see iOS9.

Voted for 6. I've lost a lot of faith in Apple with the last two OS designs.
    I'll take the 6 look with the 8 security.
    Yeah, I'm dreaming.

15. I7guy macrumors G5

I'm not sure Apple is convinced there are long term benefits for consumers. Just because someone wants to do it, doesn't mean it's necessarily in their best interest.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think someone can decide that somewhat better for themselves over a company that has their own interests first.

17. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

I would love to revert back to the iOS 6 look and feel with the security patches that iOS 8 introduced.

18. I7guy macrumors G5

That's when you the consumer vote with your dollars.

Im thinking there is more to this than meets the eye that us mere mortals are not privy to.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's possible. Although it's just as possible (if not even more likely) that the simpler explanation of Apple just wanting to keep it simpler for themselves is mainly what's at play here--again, certainly good for them, but perhaps not as much for various consumers.

As for voting with dollars, well, that doesn't really work when issues that are involved are of the variety that the typical iOS user would really care about, even if they are being affected and would benefit from a change.

20. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I personally have no issue with iOS 8 and was fortunate not to be affected with the well publicised bugs in the early updates.

For everything else I have tweaks. ;)