Apple's iPhone 3G marketing: I don't get it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Well I guess I sorta do, but it doesn't make sense to us in the know.

iPhone 3G: twice as fast, half the price

I have no beef with the price thing except for that's not true for the 16GB model. $300 isn't half of $500. Anywho, moving on. The thing that gets me is they're telling me 3G is making the phone twice as fast as EDGE. I think I have gotten about 200kbps tops on the EDGE network. From what I understand, 3G is supposed to be way faster than 400k or even 500k. Therefore, why is the mantra "twice as fast?" Are you 3G owners getting just 500k, or are you getting closer to 1Mbps like Jobs did at the big dog and pony show?

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

3G can be very fast. I think the phones processing power is actually limiting the speed and time it takes for the browser to load pages...no phone out there can fully utilize 3G speeds at the moment. When I connected my AT&T HTC phone to my laptop a few months ago, I was getting near DSL speeds (above 384kb) and the pages were loading pretty fast.

3. nlivo macrumors 6502a

I think they're talking more about the download time. With websites and email attachments, etc. Apparently it is more than twice as fast. I wouldn't know. I don't live in America.

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Well EDGE kinda sucks, but 3G is supposed to be more than twice as fast as EDGE. It all depends on the area too.

5. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

That's basically my point, although I wouldn't say EDGE "sucks." It's slow, but it's got good coverage. 3G is better, but I think there seem to be a lot of bugs on all ends of that deal.

Anywho, I also thought 3G was way more than twice as fast.I guess the other post about processor speed has something to do with it. We're all a little spoiled with those Core 2 Duos.

6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Maybe iPhone 3 will have a Dual Core 1Ghz processor in there :)

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

The marketing is smooth. Not as good as the 1st version marketing, imo, but still solid enough to work

It gets people to see the phone as a fast, cheap option (cheap when they hear half, imo)

8. RobLikesBrunch macrumors regular

It's a great campaign- simple and catching...and it features happy music from the submarines xD

Obviously, these claims can't apply to everyone- they never will. Everyone's experience is unique, and Apple cannot account for all of them. Under ideal conditions, 3G is twice as fast, and the iPhone is half the price of the original $600 iPhone...they never specify what "half the price" is. In this case, we know they are saying of the original $600 pricing- as long as they don't specify, they are completely able to say it.