Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Who in the frick would go in wanting a 128GB model and yet walk out with a 16? I want some sort of documented proof of this person.

Not trying to flame you or anything. Just doesn't sound like the type of person that exists. More likely someone would be seduced by the Android dark side when they get the SD card sales pitch.
I have to agree. I wouldn't touch the 16GB model. I know I'd just be miserable. I got the 64GB model before exchanging it for the 128GB. The 64GB wasn't enough but it was the lowest capacity I'd consider.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
it is hard to understand this record breaking success of the iphone 6. After 7 years on the market, and a tough competition from Samsung, you would think the market is already too saturated.

On the opposite, the ipad did face this stagnant sales issue. I think the sales number actually dropped form previouse yeas even though it does not face a single fierce competitor competitor

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
so, I guess Apple still having issues here...

You'd think Apple would know this by now, regardless of high demand and what Apple went though to cease everything.

Obviously, there wasn't enough done....

If Apple only say doubled the production of iPhone 6's then they got what they expected..... a shortage....

I would have make quad, easily...

No, its not too much,, you better believe, they would sell. And there would be NO shortage to even bring up,, because they won't be..

Having 'too much' may be one thing if some idiot decides it won't sell well as the last one,, but its Apple for gods sake.. what do u expect... ? Of course more people will buy,,, maybe some less, but nothing by a huge factor....

Dumbest post ever

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
Oh, I've got no problem if people say things like.
"well I like my 4" phone, I'd not really considered a larger one, perhaps when I see it, I may consider one"

It's when people spout junk about:

"Apple won't make stupid Phablets like Samdung, no one wants those stupid things, Apple has shown how unusable they are. I don't think Apple should ever make one, and I know they won't"

Then Apple do, and these people are the 1st to rush out, buy one and deem it the best Apple product ever.

I think those are the people who get on others nerves. And unfortunately some Apple fans seem to be the worst when it comes to acting this way :(

I clearly remember a few posters saying phablets were for "poor people" with "fat greasy fingers" and that refined Apple users preferred small 4" phones because you know, delicate bone structure and all. :D

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Funny, I actually see more iPhone 6/6+ in real life then iPhone 5/5s now.

Same here. It seems that everyone hopped on the new releases this year. I see more current gen phones out in the wild now than I've ever seen before. I can't even find a SGS3 or SGS4 or Note 3. Barely any 5s models and even fewer 4s.

It seems it was the perfect time to release a new phone and buy one as well.

I would agree, but we also have to remember that Apple is going to give it's retail stores first dibs so they can sell attachments.

I frequent Best Buy, and now that they have that Samsung display/kiosk/area they seem to be the go to place for anything Sammy related. Same thing with Windows at the MS store that's in Maryland. I think the carrier stores are going to continue to have short supply of hot button items.

Looks like the bigger screen size was a huge hit.

Doubt that Apple will return to the smaller 4 inch screens with the new design.

Same here, and I dare say good riddance. It was a nice size for the time, but so was the 1.5" VGA display or a DSLR with a 1.8" LCD.

With luck Apple will give the iPod Touch the same 4.7" or even 5.5" treatment.

it is hard to understand this record breaking success of the iphone 6. After 7 years on the market, and a tough competition from Samsung, you would think the market is already too saturated.

On the opposite, the ipad did face this stagnant sales issue. I think the sales number actually dropped form previouse yeas even though it does not face a single fierce competitor competitor

The iPhone will always be a hit. It's an iconic device. Now though, I think we'll start to see more people going back and forth between handset makers much like we see with the Mac and the PC.

There's not much locking a user down to one platform or another these days, and when there is, there are always competent competitors. Also, I think the iPad has great competition. Especially on the mini tablet side, where Apple missed the mark big time.

I clearly remember a few posters saying phablets were for "poor people" with "fat greasy fingers" and that refined Apple users preferred small 4" phones because you know, delicate bone structure and all. :D

That, and that a phablet phone would never take off and would never sell and would cannibalize the iPad Mini and . . . . . .

Utter nonsense.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I'm still holding on to my 5s. I want a small phone with Apple Pay and a better camera/battery life.

Not sure this will happen if history is any indication.

Apple let the 4/4s just run its course and moved forward. Now that they are offering 2 sizes, I could see letting the 5/5s be the last 4" models.

But then again, poeple thought the iPhone 6 Plus wasn't going to happen too. :)

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I have to agree. I wouldn't touch the 16GB model. I know I'd just be miserable. I got the 64GB model before exchanging it for the 128GB. The 64GB wasn't enough but it was the lowest capacity I'd consider.

When I got a 4S, I thought I would be frugal and got a 16GB model instead of a 32GB model, like my 4 and 3GS, to save $100. For two years I suffered with that thing. As I have told my mom when she wonders why I need so much storage, it's not necessarily that I need 32GB or 64GB. But it's the fact that I know I'll need at least 15, and that 16GB is actually 14.

On my iPhone 6 I can say 64GB is a good amount of storage. I've got 17GB free right now even though I will let games sit on there I never use. I also have my old Magellan GPS app on there taking up 1.7GB just in case I need a more-powerful GPS app. Still with all that, 7.6GB of iTunes Music and 3.9GB of files through Beats Music, I got all that extra space.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Apple is to be commended for manipulating the people's perception of their products and availability of said products.

By nature people want what they can't have even more than if it's readily available. Apple never misses a trick when it comes to sales and marketing.

They're pure genius.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Who in the frick would go in wanting a 128GB model and yet walk out with a 16? I want some sort of documented proof of this person.

Not trying to flame you or anything. Just doesn't sound like the type of person that exists. More likely someone would be seduced by the Android dark side when they get the SD card sales pitch.

We'll probably never know because Apple doesn't break out sales by model.

----------

Which is bizarre because that should be the highest profit margin model, so Apple should be pushing to satisfy that demand first. I suppose its possible that supply of the 64Gb chips (that's what it uses, right? 2 of those?) is limiting it, in fact that may be the only reasonable explanation. I would expect that the 64Gb model is the best selling, and that the 128 is the highest profit though maybe not by much, over the 64. 16 should be lowest profit, so Apple should be keeping them in short supply to encourage upgrading to the smarter 64 GB option anyway.

I know it's crazy, you'd think they would have a shortage of the cheaper models. Apparently a lot of the shortage is due to scalpers trawling the Apple shops buying up all the high end models. The Apple Retail Store rep I spoke to said they know it's going on but can't do anything about it. They're as frustrated as the rest of us.

----------

I ordered my 6 Plus 128GB from AT&T on Sept 29 and it's still in a "processing" status. Shipping supposedly between 12/12 and 12/19. It's the second time they changed the date and I am not holding my breath. Kinda thinking I should just hang on to my 64GB iPhone 5S and just see what happens with the iPhone 7, since it will probably be out when mine freaking ships.... Who knows - maybe someone else that was willing to wait forever will get lucky and get mine - if they haven't already :)

If I can't get one by end of Dec then I might just keep my 5s and wait for the 6s next Sept. Next time I'm defo going to wait outside the shop and buy one on launch day. Seems to be just about the only way to guarantee getting one.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
The 128GB models used higher density memory that was said to cause problems. That may be the reason.

Many people just don't understand what's the difference between 16/64/128GB and why would you pay money for something you don't understand?

I don't understand the difference, all I want is the most memory I can get so I can put more stuff on my iPhone like music and apps.

Don't most people think the same way?

Plainsman

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2012
I said yesterday that the 6+ 64 GB is shipping 7-14 business days after ordering with AT&T. Try 1 day. Mine shipped yesterday. I guess the iPhone 6 64 GB is more popular since that one hasn't shipped yet.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I don't understand the difference, all I want is the most memory I can get so I can put more stuff on my iPhone like music and apps.

Don't most people think the same way?

I agree. I think people understand the difference very well. It's what they intend to store on their device that will make them decide. The $100 price difference is rather moot considering you can't go back and fix storage.

I just wish Apple started with 32GBs but meh. Now with phones being many user's personal and only computer and the phones becoming completely independent of a stand alone system many folks are going to want the most storage the can find.

Another thing to keep in mind for our less than savvy friends and family is that remotely updating the OS requires a decent amount of storage as well.

Last edited:

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I agree. I honk people understand the difference very well. It's what they intend to store on their device that will make them decide. The $100 price difference is rather moot considering you can't go back and fix storage.

I just wish Apple started with 32GBs but meh. Now with phones being many user's personal and only computer and the phones becoming completely independent of a stand alone system many folks are going to want the most storage the can find.

Another thing to keep in mind for our less than savvy friends and family is that remotely updating the OS requires a decent amount of storage as well.

I was talking to a friend of mine who just upgraded his 4s to the iPhone 6 16GB. He was very unhappy because he said iOS8 takes up half the available storage leaving him with little or no storage for his music and apps. His exact words were "don't buy the iPhone 6 it's crap". I didn't have the heart to tell him that he should have waited for a 64GB or 128GB version. He's only one person but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple are creating a lot of disgruntled customers with the 16GB version when they could easily have made the entry level model 32GB.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I was talking to a friend of mine who just upgraded his 4s to the iPhone 6 16GB. He was very unhappy because he said iOS8 takes up half the available storage leaving him with little or no storage for his music and apps. His exact words were "don't buy the iPhone 6 it's crap". I didn't have the heart to tell him that he should have waited for a 64GB or 128GB version. He's only one person but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple are creating a lot of disgruntled customers with the 16GB version when they could easily have made the entry level model 32GB.

Yes and I know we're beating a dead horse while singing to the choir but I couldn't agree more.

My mother in law has already filled her 16GB 6+ with endless photos of the grandchildren.

Once you introduce people to that kind of tech they'll use it non-stop. 16GBs is wonderful for entry level Android phones and super handsets that have expandable memory up to 128GBs. For the iPhone it REALLY should have started at 32GBs . . . . even worse we here on MR know that it wouldn't have cost Apple ANYTHING to do so.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
In the end, the highly pent-up demand for a larger-screen iPhone is why there are still shortages of a number of iPhone 6 and 6+ models even now. Essentially all those iPhone 4, 4S and 5 users are all upgrading to the iPhone 6 models instead of switching to an Android cellphone--notice how hard it hurt sales of the Samsung Galaxy S 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.