Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Electricpig.co.uk reports that Apple's UK iPhone PR team is approaching journalists from major publications to fly out to the event in San Francisco next month. Apple's WWDC is kicking off on June 6th which typically opens with a keynote address. Apple has yet to officially announce the keynote, but it's certain to happen.

Now, Electricpig claims the "obvious" conclusion is that Apple will be announcing some new iPhone, though we think that's far from obvious. Apple has already said they will be highlighting the future iOS and Mac OS X during WWDC, so we expect iOS 5 to take center stage.

Article Link: Apple's iPhone PR Team Reaching Out to UK Press to Attend WWDC

vnowarita

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I think we will see the new iPhone. After last year I think Apple has done a better job of keeping the leaks out. They have announced the latest iPhone every June thus far so why not now. You have to go with history. The white iPhone 4 doesnt count as a new phone!! Waiting a year and a half is too long between updates!

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
If Apple does indeed release the iPhone 5 at WWDC, it will be the best kept Apple secret in a while. They have pointed to a September release with the rumors being leaked. I, for one, would be surprised if Steve has "one more thing" in store.

It seems obvious, at this point, that iOS will be the premier upgrade this year, with a 4G iPhone being center stage next year.

Last edited:

joemolomo

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
hmmm...could it be that deals with uk record labels and publishers have been dealt with faster, and uk might get cloudmusic sooner than US, just a theory :D

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Ive been thinking for a while that Apple may have started these rumors about an iPhone in September just to keep the leaks out for the June launch.

fluffer

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2009
Love this scenario, love my 2 year old 3GS but new contract is shouting for new iPhone.... 2 years is a long time!

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
If Apple does indeed release the iPhone 5 at WWDC, it will be the best kept Apple secret in a while. They have pointed to a September release with the rumors being leaked. I, for one, would be surprised if Steve has "one more thing" in store.

I agree. iOS 4.0 came before iPhone 4 was announced, didn't it?

hsj2011

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
It'll be a boring keynote if all it's about is iOS...another collection of Apples favourite developers playing their latest games...yay (not)!

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
WWDC is a DEVELOPER's conference, not something for the majority. The keynote tries to be less technical than the rest of the conference because of all the media in attendance.

Normally, new software is introduced to developers at the event. This is usually in BETA with a full release in the future. (If iOS 5 was released on June 6, what use is it? It'll probably be very buggy because nobody outside Apple has tested it, and there will be no software that uses it's new features. It makes no sense not to give it to developers first)

I fully expect iOS 5, and OS X Lion to be previewed, with projected release dates for each. I also expect a projected release date for iPhone 5, which will be released alongside iOS 5. I also expect new hardware for developers to be released, like new Mac Minis.

Last edited:

GLS67

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2011
Does anyone know whether the list of invitees is actually any different than prior WWDCs? I would assume that inviting international press is nothing new....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.