Apple's iPhone return policy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djmac7, Jan 3, 2014.

1. djmac7 macrumors newbie

I purchased an iPhone 5s from the Apple store and would like to return it. it's only been 2 weeks since i got it. The problem is i dropped the phone and it has a small scuff. Can i still return it? or must the phone be in like new condition?

Thanks.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Uh..you damaged the phone. You can't return it.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Aluminum is soft and can be easily scuffed without dropping, so yes you can return it. It really doesn't matter to them anyway as they'll refurbish it with a brand new case, screen and battery. If the table were turned, any Genius would say it's normal wear and tear.

4. I7guy macrumors G5

I'm pretty sure the return phone must be in new condition, but you can certainly try.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, it doesn't matter. It's not like they'll can sell it as new anyway so they'll refurbish it with a brand new exterior and battery.

6. I7guy macrumors G5

So basically they'll do a full refund on a phone in any condition? I know verizon won't.

7. djmac7 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the various responses. I will try returning it and post feedback.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I can't speak for Verizon, but it doesn't matter to Apple. They're going to refurbish it at the end of the day.

9. I7guy macrumors G5

Returning a phone because he damaged it may well may be legal sure drives the cost of
    doing business up. I think that in the event that the phone is damaged apple should be charging a restocking fee.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sure, I damaged the phone so I don't want it any more.
    I want to return it:D

11. aajeevlin, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

What you are saying makes no sense. That's not the idea behind a retune policy. Acceding to what you are saying I can buy an iPhone and if I accidentally damage it (beyond just little dent) I can still return it. I can assure if you try to return an iPhone with a cracked screen, even if it's within the return period they are not going to take it. No store will accept a damaged item, that's just not how the return policy works.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Well, it must be undamaged, but cosmetic wear and tear doesn't count and like I said, aluminum is soft and one can easily nick and scuff it up simply from being careless, putting it in a pocket full of keys, etc.

Besides, there's no indication that the OP is returning it because he dropped it rather than for a different reason.

----------

I never said anything about a cracked or shattered iPhone. Obviously that's different as it's a damaged iPhone. Cosmetic wear and tear doesn't matter.

13. I7guy macrumors G5

Other than he said he is returning it due to a scuff, you're correct.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, he didn't. Read the OP more carefully.

15. I7guy macrumors G5

I read it about 5 times and bit could be taken any which way.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Let's interpret the OP:

I purchased an iPhone 5s from the Apple store and would like to return it. it's only been 2 weeks since i got it.

He would like to return it and is within his return period.

The problem is i dropped the phone and it has a small scuff. Can i still return it? or must the phone be in like new condition?

He's worried that they won't accept his return because it has a small scuff from dropping.

Nowhere did he specifically say he's returning it because it has a small scuff, and there's no implication of that reading between the lines either. We simply do not know the specific reason for the OP's wanting to return it.

17. blarivee macrumors 6502

Just return it to Apple. Worst case scenario, they say no. Most of the time unless you have major damage like cracked screen or bent case, they will accept your return.

18. dave420 macrumors 65816

That is true, but in this case it is just a small scuff, not a broken screen. The iPhone gets marks easily, and Apple isn't going to deny a return just because there is a small mark on the phone. Apple can also be lenient about major damage like a cracked screen in a brand new device and is known to sometimes replace the device at no charge.

19. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Depends how small the scuff is and the discretion of the Apple employee. If they didn't even examine the phone, other then looking at the IMEI, I wouldn't be surprised. If they do examine it and deny return, I wouldn't really be surprised either.

20. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Are you speaking about wear and tear for a two weeks old iPhone ?
    It doesn't make any sense .....

Here in Europe I'm quite sure they aren't going to accept it.
    In the USA could be different cause Apple Stores seem to have a better customer care ....

Btw to call "normal wear and tear" a scuff after 15 days is ridiculous to me.

21. VitoC macrumors newbie

I'm with you. It's ridiculous to anyone who can't count their IQ on their hands.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Suppose a customer comes in after 14 days asking a Genius to replace it under warranty because it scuffs too easily. What do you think the Genius would say? That's right, "normal wear and tear." Some people are naturally clumsy/careless and can most definitely scuff it up in no time.

What do you make of all the iPhone 5 that made their way into retail boxes full of nicks and scuffs last year? Aluminum is soft and they had to step up their quality control as a result.

23. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

You are speaking about millimetric nicks .... The OP said he DROPPED the phone.
    A totally different damage ..

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It doesn't matter. A careless bang against a surface and a drop can induce the same scuff/damage and they won't know it unless you tell them.