Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wyckham

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
Hi All,

I have iPhone 8 Plus which is also seeming to have the same issues with wireless charging. I was considering buying one because the desk I put my phone on and off is hard and causes a bit of micro scratching on the glass back (sigh) so I figured I might as well buy one so I can protect the glass and get a bit of charge at the same time.

It seems wireless charging is pushing through tons of extra charging cycles ruining the battery faster!?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewansp...ne-qi-wireless-battery-problems/#7225f4b0747f

SquireSCA

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I have been reading this as well. I don't know if it is actually harming the battery or not. It doesn't seem to on Samsung phones, but they have had this for years and might have worked out the bugs. Or if it is more of a case of the "battery cycles" being reported incorrectly?

I mean, slow charging generates less heat within the battery, so you would think that wireless charging would extend the life of the battery, not shorten it. Rapid charging is usually the battery killer.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I’m curious about this too. I gather the concern is when wirless charging, the phone is powered by the battery while it is being charged at the same time so it is charged while being subjected to a load at the same time. When you charge with a cable, the phone is powered by the cable and the battery is being charged without the constant load. Someone can correct me if this isn’t what is actually occurring or isn’t the concern..

Reactions: ras113

SquireSCA

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
Atlanta, GA
That's a good point. I can't imagine that if this is an issue, that they didn't account for it in the development and testing process.

SquireSCA

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I think the past has shown that Apple hasn't taken long term battery usage/life into account... EVER.

Well, you can say that. Despite currently running an iPad Pro 13", an iPhone 8+ and Apple Watch 3, I am an Android fanboy... so if I say those things, I get set upon and yelled at. haha

But despite the areas where Apple could use a lot of work(software capabilities and customization) I have always found the hardware part of the equation to be top quality, well thought out(for the most part), etc...

Reactions: psac

SquireSCA

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Good question. I just shut my phone off and tossed it on the wireless charger. The charger turned green and the apple logo came up on the screen, but it isn't showing the battery indicator or any animation to show that it is charging...

And now the apple logo stays on, and the phone will not boot up or respond at all. Cool, putting it on the wireless charger with it off, seems to have bricked it.

Wonderful....
[doublepost=1521152721][/doublepost]Yeah, my phone is now unbootable. Can't get it to reset, will not go into recovery mode. Phone is dead.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Good question. I just shut my phone off and tossed it on the wireless charger. The charger turned green and the apple logo came up on the screen, but it isn't showing the battery indicator or any animation to show that it is charging...

And now the apple logo stays on, and the phone will not boot up or respond at all. Cool, putting it on the wireless charger with it off, seems to have bricked it.

Wonderful....
[doublepost=1521152721][/doublepost]Yeah, my phone is now unbootable. Can't get it to reset, will not go into recovery mode. Phone is dead.
Wow! Sorry about throwing that question out there... I was talking about shutting it off while it’s on the charger. I know when you shut the phone down and then plug it in to charge, it powers the phone back on.. when you shut it down while plugged in, it stays shut off.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Is there any evidence to support the author's contention that when you charge using a cable the device is powered by the cable rather than the battery?

This is not how other Apple products work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.