Apple's iTunes, App Store, and iCloud Experiencing Issues [Update: Google DNS Problem, Now Fixed]

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 12, 2014.

1. TheJae macrumors regular

You have no idea what is the purpose of a DNS, do you? Choosing Google DNS doesn't mean adding a man in the middle. Your computer needs the DNS data one way or another, there is ALWAYS a DNS server. Whether it's Google or not.

Google DNS doesn't make sites go faster...... It isn't a CDN like CloudFlare.

Sites appear to load faster because Google DNS is really well optimized. If you use a benchmarking tool, chances are it's faster than your ISP's DNS servers.

2. djgamble macrumors 6502a

As stated above, I block Apple's ads and trackers. If Apple provided a DNS, I would not use it.

3. djgamble, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014

djgamble macrumors 6502a

*yaaaawn* Can you try reading my posts?

I explained to you why a DNS is necessary. I then went on to explain why using Google's DNS is pointless. Not only is it pointless, but it exposes you to a massive privacy risk.

As stated above (I don't know how many times)... I use a DNS to BLOCK ads. Using Google's DNS gives your location data to the world's BIGGEST tracking/data mining company.

End of the day if you think you're smarter than me and I'm clueless, I don't care! I'm just trying to help/advise you.

You're te one who is willfully giving away your location data to a multi billion dollar tracking/advertising company. If you think that's smarter than my approach (which involves blocking that very company and most others from tracking/advertising) then I lose nothing.

If you want a cleaner (and faster due to far less ads/trackers/phishing scams/malware) then use an ad blocking DNS. For example dnsplease.com (and hundreds of others, use that dreaded Google search if you MUST). You'll find that their goal is to:

'...prevent your computer from connecting to selected internet hosts that alone will reduce bandwidth use, block most major parasites, blocks certain pop-up traps, prevents user tracking by way of "web bugs" embedded in spam, block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, most hijackers and even unwanted Adware/Spyware programs'.

If you want to use the Google DNS then look into what they do with it. In my view you'll find that you're achieving nothing more than what your ISP will achieve. As stated BY MYSELF, benchmark sites will likely show very very VERY minor speed gains with a Google DNS. This is BECAUSE Google's ads and trackers will load faster... Google Analytics (i.e. unauthorised tracking) are a MASSIVE part of most sites today. The only faster option I can think of is COMPLETELY BLOCKING ALL UNAUTHORISED TRACKING!!! This will be faster and you won't get tracked!!!

If you think I'm a fool for blocking a significant proportion of ads/trackers/phishing/malware...etc using a DNS then that's fine. I really don't care about what some kid thinks about my intelligence.

If you think I don't understand DNS' then that's also cool. Just make sure you REALLY understand what you are doing. I'm in no way confident that volunteering to give your location data to Google is of ANY benefit. The minor speed boost (mainly linked to loading Google services a little faster) just ain't worth it for the privacy you are losing.

Just don't do it unless you can think of a REALLY GOOD technical reason. So-far I'm yet to hear one.

---

Edit: Since I'm sick of hearing myself and none of the Google fans seem to know how to use their beloved search engine, here's a few links to check out.

Why Google DNS is a privacy risk...
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/eliseackerman/2012/02/25/a-closer-look-at-google-public-dns/2/

More reasons why Google DNS is a privacy risk...
    http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/dns/284235-security-and-privacy-and-google-public-dns

Reasons why using ANY DNS other than your ISP's will likely slow down your internet...
    http://apcmag.com/why-using-google-dns-opendns-is-a-bad-idea.htm

4. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

Google can't identify a ****ing individual with the geolocation data it stores geolocation data at city level for two weeks and then it only subsets a fraction of it.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/privacy?csw=1

Stop spreading FUD, because that is the only thing you do.

5. djgamble macrumors 6502a

Don't listen to me, read the links...

Nothing is wrong with fear, uncertainty or doubt in this case!!! You are sooooooo confident that using Google DNS is a GOOD thing and yet you've outlined no advantages. Oh but their privacy policy sugar coats the DNS and makes people think nothing can go wrong... BOLLOCKS!!!!!

Using a DNS that is not that of your ISP is a conscious decision and should only be done if you have a BLOODY GOOD reason.

If you're not at minimum a home hacker who is well informed about the privacy risks and REAL performance risks (read my 3rd article above re: Google DNS being unable to find your closest Akamai) then don't bother changing your defaut DNS settings. You simply don't know what you're getting yourself into...

I have identified speed issues and privacy issues with Google DNS. The OP identified a reliability issue, which in turn has started discussion about why they were using Google as their DNS in the first place. Nobody has answered this question.

Read the facts, read the links I've provided, think about it and then get back to me. So-far the above dude has had three points:
    1) I think you are stupid/know nothing.
    2) Google's privacy policy says there's nothing to fear... therefore no matter what others say, there's nothing to fear. Only a fool would question their claims...
    3) I feel uncomfortable with fear, uncertainty and doubt... stop it, I don't want to think critically/analytically.

I'm sorry but none of these provide a good reason for changing your default DNS settings. Given that Google make billions out of advertising and unauthorised tracking... why would you want all of your web traffic to go through them?

Hey... somebody might have a good reason. I don't! Why? Because I have chosen:
    1) An Ad/tracker-free web experience. As stated, I USE AN ALTERNATIVE DNS BECAUSE IT BLOCKS TRACKERS!! What other good reason is there for using an alternative DNS?
    2) A DNS that gives me my closest Akamai. DNS isn't a big internet speed issue!!!! All DNS' (great and small) are pretty damn fast!! Access to the closest Akamai is the biggest issue and you won't hit it in a DNS/webpage loading test. Google's outside my state and in the USA... I know it can't provide me with my closest Akamai.
    3) A DNS that doesn't have random issues with Apple services that only Google DNS users EVER experienced. I've never had an issue with my DNS fetching the wrong IP for servers.

6. bozzykid macrumors 68020

No advantages? There are a million benchmark results showing that both OpenDNS and Google DNS provide faster lookups than most US ISP DNS servers. This results in faster load times for almost all network activity. That is an advantage in my book. Personally, I get much better Netflix performance with Google DNS. For some reason Netflix using a lot of DNS lookups for each video you play.

7. djgamble, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014

djgamble macrumors 6502a

Since when were DNS lookups slow? They are one of those split second things that most people don't even know about. Monitor your web activity... as soon as you puah enter in a web browser, you'll have te IP of the site you're looking for unless your DNS has been crippled.

Also as stated... a DNS that blocks ads/trackers nullified any perceived speed advantage that you speak of.

Even if the GoogleDNS lookup were 1000x faster (which they aren't... they're < 5% faster than your average ISP's DNS, mainly because they fetch Google) then why would you then slog yourself by downloading from an Akamai that is further away? This totally defeats any alleged speed gains.

Netflicks have a lot of DNS lookups and you have no idea who you are connecting to. Monitor them mate!!!!! An ad supported movie site... hmmmmm are most of these to ad sites/trackers? Block them and you'll save a puck load of bandwidth maaaaaate...

8. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Since forever? It seems to me you do not understand DNS very well. With Charter, it is not uncommon for their DNS servers to not respond to requests at all during peak times. Try a google search for DNS response times (or bing search since you obviously have some type of axe to grind). OpenDNS and Google DNS wouldn't exist if DNS servers were not so prone to bad response times.

9. djgamble, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014

djgamble macrumors 6502a

Incorrect... response times are measured in milliseconds for a reason. Your average ISP's DNS will resolve IPs within a small fraction of a second 100% of the time. These same speed tests you speak of load literally THOUSANDS of DNS queries per second in order to perform speed benchmarks. DNS query speed is pretty moot when it comes to testing how fast a web service/site/application runs...

OpenDNS exists because it intentionally blocks harmful materials and unauthorised tracking SUCH AS GOOGLE ANALYTICS!!!!!! Sites will load quicker because you don't have to load trackers from advertising/tracking businesses (as well as malware/phishing...etc). These usually slow down total load times significantly and waste bandwidth. Hence why people block them...

Google speeds up load times by directing you towards their trackers a little more quickly. Funnily enough they know the location of their analytics servers better than anybody else so can tell you where they are quicker than anybody.

Use a plug-in such as Disconnect and you'll see what I'm talking about. Most sites have a lot of ads/trackers (20+) that serve no benefit. Either choose not to load them or load them normally.

---

It's like putting your name on a spam mail list. Spammers will find you quicker and be able to target material to you more efficiently. Why... WHY would you do it and then claim that people who use spam filters/masked e-mails (intentionally removing spam from their inbox) know nothing about spam?

10. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

Why do you still post wrong information? Open DNS don't block Google Analytics

Post after post you show a clear lack of knowledge about DNS systems and only post FUD

If you don't like Google, perfect, it is your decision, but stop posting that FUD and stop wasting get our time

11. djgamble, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014

djgamble macrumors 6502a

From the horse's mouth mate... OpenDNS has flagged the exact site you say they haven't:

https://domain.opendns.com/analytics.google.com

Here's a blogger getting weirded out because certain Google and Yahoo addresses are being blocked by OpenDNS. It's an awareness thing... 'Google's a search engine... why would people want to block parts of it?' People have reasons:

http://www.alleba.com/blog/2008/04/09/googlecom-blocked-by-opendns/

---

Not quite sure why you see fear, uncertainty and doubt as bad things. I'd much prefer to be uncertain, but on the safe side rather than unconsciously ignorant. Since you keep attacking my knowledge, I find it ironic that your own awareness of privacy issues/reasons for alternative DNS' is mysteriously lacking (other than short, over-confident opinions that lack technical detail/analysis).

As you'll note from the technical nature of my posts, I'm extremely well read in the area of DNS'. My uncertainty and doubt come from knowing what CAN go wrong.

How can you respond to cases like:

http://gawker.com/5637234/gcreep-google-engineer-stalked-teens-spied-on-chats

'We entrust Google with our most private communications because we assume the company takes every precaution to safeguard our data. It doesn't. A Google engineer spied on four underage teens for months before the company was notified of the abuses.'

It happens mate. Oh but you were so confident that Google kept none of this data. LOL!!! Mate, Google aren't alone...

---

I am dead set serious... right now you probably thinking you're a nobody, so nobody would want to track you...

Since **forever** advertising has relied on profiling clients. The internet has made this a lot easier.

I'm not saying 'be scared and go hide!!!' I'm saying that it's not a good idea to volunteer all of your private information. Whether it's their policy or not, large amounts of data on anybody can do a LOT in the wrong hands.

Be vigilant... that's my only advice. When some over-confident know-it-all like my friend above confidently says 'read their privacy policy, NOTHING bad can happen at all, I'm just going to make your internet faster'. Don't listen to him. Do your homework and decide for yourself what you're getting into.

The internet is safe. BUT!!! Like anything... read the fine print. Don't tell strangers private details they don't need to know. Don't go crazy, but a bit of FUD could just save your privacy.

Don't trust ANY big names with data they don't need. Use Apple, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Facebook...etc but don't trust them as if they're your best mates. They're not always!!!

12. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Wow. I've never seen so much misinformation from one person on this forum. It is honestly sad at this point.

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Mod note:

Let's give the arguing over Google DNS and OpenDNS, et al. a break.

We don't want to have to close this thread down if we don't have to.

/mod note.