Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
The thing I want most is the ability to watch feature films at home on the same day/week they get released in theaters. (Without pirating) Now that would be cool! :cool:

Its happening. For example, I think Voddler has scored a few of those already.

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

Apple could buy HBO, if that would help!

It wouldn't help ME - no thanks. I pay for satellite so I can get my HBO. Nothing is preventing anyone else from doing that as well.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Until there is another place for teenagers to go on first dates, or just to hang out with friends it's going to be a long while for theaters to disappear.
Not just teenagers. I am 62 and my wife and I love to go out to the movies at least once or twice a week if anything new and of interest is released. I used to think I would love to be able to see it at home, but not anymore. I think I would miss those "date's" with the wife.

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
There is something I read about the time between Movie and DVD/Online release - to help the cinemas revenue stream, and of course the movie makers revenue too.

Not everyone wants to go to the cinema, and with Cinemas charging more and more these days for tickets, and indeed 3D presentations, people are being turned off by the big screen, myself included.

Online streaming of DVD rentals is all well and good, but the "real" money is in that gap between Cinematic release and DVD/Download rental/purchase, that is where the torrents lie.

The movie makers are still to realise that people still want to see their latest blockbuster from their living rooms. People would come off the torrents to watch their movies for a minimal fee, if it was available, say within a week of cinematic release.

People are not willing to wait these days, it's all instant gratification. People want it and find a way to get it, regardless of the legality. If a movie maker says go to their site, pay $5 to go and watch the new movie streamed on the day of release - I would go for it over driving to the Cinema, queueing, and all the disruption therein.

It will come, but it does involve a mindset change my the movie makers.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not just teenagers. I am 62 and my wife and I love to go out to the movies at least once or twice a week if anything new and of interest is released. I used to think I would love to be able to see it at home, but not anymore. I think I would miss those "date's" with the wife.

I agree (I'm not quite 62 yet.. I'm in my 40s) - but I also think there's a generational thing going on here too. Even though frustrating at time (mostly because some people can't stop texting for 5 seconds, etc) going to the theater is a social experience not only with the person your with but on a community level which does often enhance the viewing experience making things scary - scarier and funny, funnier.

But more and more - the younger generations have lesser attention spans, rely on their high tech devices for entertainment and see nothing inherently wrong with staying "isolated."

I am sure I'll get downrated for this - but that's ok. I enjoy facebook - but as much as it's a SOCIAL network - it's also an UNSOCIAL network. Why? Because even though I do stay more connected with people and know what they are up to via updates/pictures - I have found myself have FAR less phone conversations, emails, etc with them as well.

It's all related in my opinion.

MacUser5

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2009
If this was Google they'd just release the movies without a license agreement and call it open-source. If anyone sued them they'd just start crying and call it bogus.

Chris Tilton

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't understand why this is so difficult. Microsoft has had this same service in place for years. You can redownload/stream any content you've purchased on XBox Live as many times as you want, whether it be movies, TV shows, or games.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
Just have Disney buy HBO with a loan from Apple then transfer the license to Apple. Maybe Lasseter (sp?) et. al. from Pixar could help make HBO better.

Chris Tilton

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Jumpman6 said:
On Xbox Live, is it catalog movies or recent releases?

The parity between movies and TV is pretty consistent, though of course, sometimes iTunes will have something xbox doesn't and vice versa.

It will usually be the same deals too. Films that are rental only or purchase only will usually be that way on both xbox and iTunes.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Competing directly with Netflix makes about as much sense for Apple as getting into the television business and competing with Samsung, Sony, etc. Whatever they do (if anything), it will be (or should be) a premium experience that defines a new market segment.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I’d rather see the reverse: I like Netflix’s vast selection (especially on disc) but I like Apple’s pay-per-view movie rental model, I’d like unlimited discs per month, but I pay for what I watch.

For streaming, I can’t see myself subscribing to multiple services, and I’d be amazed if Apple matched the depth of Netflix’s offerings (especially TV series). Would be cool if they could though!

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The idea of Movie theaters will never be killed - just the purpose we use them for will be morphed.

People in the past have gathered in theaters for Roman duels, Shakespeare plays, sporting events, and movies. The main idea is that you enjoy something more WITH OTHERS. Sure, it's awesome to have the NFL Ticket at home, and watch every football game, but the experience with other is different. It's better and worse at the same time. I think the theater experience is just getting worse (talkers, sticky floors, high prices), compared to the home experience which is getting better (larger screens, surround sound, ability to pause, can fast forward through previews, cheaper)

When the theaters find another purpose for theaters - for example, maybe people would love to get the sporting event atmosphere in a theater, with a live game, with people cheering with each other, for cheaper and less hassle than going to a game

webman2k

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
I'm still waiting for the ability to watch movies at home when they're released into the theater. Give me the capability to watch it at home. I don't care if I need a special set top box, or how it's protected. Just let me pause it.

I can't believe I'm the only person with a kid(or some other valid reason), where it's just not practical to do the whole "movie theater" thing.

I'd GLADLY pay the full price of a ticket to watch at home. And that's MORE money that could go directly to the studios.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
A good (and sincere) question would be - why haven't the studios themselves created an infrastructure to stream movies direct. Sure iTunes/Netflix is good. But (other than obvious costs involved to set it up/keep it going) it seems that it could be a great revenue source for the studios and not require a middleman. Would it mean having multiple log ins/etc - sure. But I wouldn't care personally.

And there are some studios now doing 1 off DVDs of some of their catalog "on request" - granted older or more obscure stuff.. but instead of burning dvd's - they could offer them online...

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
People are not willing to wait these days, it's all instant gratification. People want it and find a way to get it, regardless of the legality. If a movie maker says go to their site, pay $5 to go and watch the new movie streamed on the day of release - I would go for it over driving to the Cinema, queueing, and all the disruption therein.

It will come, but it does involve a mindset change my the movie makers.

I like this idea. I wish tv networks would do the same.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
So, because of the HBO window, I'm shackled to a $50+ cable TV bill each month or have to put up with holes in my streaming service film libraries. Great.

Thanks, Hollywood.:mad:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
If the "HBO Window" is the big holdup wih all this stuff, my first question is how much would it cost Apple to buy HBO?

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
If the "HBO Window" is the big holdup wih all this stuff, my first question is how much would it cost Apple to buy HBO?

I had the same thought. HBO is owned by Time Warner and to buy Time Warner would cost (at least) 30.8 billion. Apple could do it, but shouldn't and won't.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I had the same thought. HBO is owned by Time Warner and to buy Time Warner would cost (at least) 30.8 billion. Apple could do it, but shouldn't and won't.

Ah, I didn't realize they were owned by Time Warner, that complicates things. Certainly HBO alone could be valuable (for their contracts and premium, exclusive content), but there's no way they'd want the whole TW.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
So? This was always going to be the case. Movie studios are backward in their insight. They refuse to adopt a low cost, high volume model. I don't understand why they resist the Apple developments. Surely having a massive distributor like Apple on board with full rights is better than piecemeal dsitribution services.

I still see that Blockbuster (UK) gets exclusives for 2 weeks. Really? Talk about flogging a dead horse!

PS 8 years and finally I get first response - perhaps I should have tried harder!

Maybe they don't realize that Apple is the end all of end alls. Give them time, they will come around to the fact that Apple rules the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.