Apple's Jeff Williams Speaks About Artificial Intelligence and More at TSMC's 30th Anniversary Ceremony

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 23, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's operating chief Jeff Williams was in Taiwan today to attend the 30th anniversary ceremony of Taiwanese Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporation, more commonly abbreviated as TSMC. There, he spoke about artificial intelligence, the future of the semiconductor industry, and more.

[​IMG]

Williams first reflected on how Apple and TSMC began working together seven years ago. Today, TSMC is the exclusive supplier of the A10X Fusion and A11 Bionic processors in the latest iPhones and iPads.
    Williams said Apple and TSMC have gone on to ship over half a billion chips as part of a "wonderful partnership" between the two companies, in which billions of dollars has been invested to fulfill Apple's significant production demands.
    Williams was asked to describe his vision of the next ten years in silicon, but he chose to reframe the question as "do we have enough processing power in our silicon to match our ambitions?" and answered accordingly.
    Williams went on to say that Apple thinks artificial intelligence and on-device processing will be key to the future of the semiconductor industry. He believes these advances will help to "revolutionize healthcare" for one example.
    China's Economic Daily News reported that Williams also met with iPhone assembler Foxconn's chairman Terry Gou, but no further details were shared. An earlier report speculated that iPhone X production issues could be one focus.

TSMC provided a live stream of the event that remains available to watch for those who prefer to listen to Williams' comments.

Article Link: Apple's Jeff Williams Speaks About Artificial Intelligence and More at TSMC's 30th Anniversary Ceremony

2. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

But I thought Jeff was on a trip to handle the supposed production issues surrounding the iPhone X?

3. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Good for TSMC, now update that logo for god sakes!

4. HardRain macrumors regular

He looks like 'that guy' who when you're talking about him, just appears out of no where. He can be in many places at the same time..

5. Kevin2055 macrumors member

Please fix the spotlight search first. It requires full name to find an app, I will not call it AI, but stupid.

6. avanpelt macrumors 68030

At least it appears that Mr. Williams did not make the mistake of mentioning Siri in the same sentence with AI at this event. To call Siri in its present form "AI" is laughable.

7. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Jeff should be in motivational speaking position. We need a real hustler to get the products. It would be Apple’s great interest to press refresh button on these executives. It’s time to get underdogs to handle the company with fresh thinking.

8. realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

I’m glad to use AP fabricated by TSMC. It was a nightmare to use AP by samsung in 6s.

iPhone X:
    Pros) A11, improved camera
    Cons) over priced, OLED, burn-in, fragile glass back, heavy, no touch ID, full screen video play not possible, no home button
    Neither pros nor cons) face ID, no headphone jack

9. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

Good to see Apple's thinking beyond just faster Macs and iDevices. I sincerely hope they can realize their healthcare ambitions because that is one industry that desperately needs to be disrupted.

10. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

If no Touch ID is a con, wouldn’t Face ID be a pro? Or vice versa. And besides we,haven’t even tried Face ID in the wild.

11. truthertech macrumors 68000

Yes, Siri has a long way to go, but in the meantime it is the most used Assistant by far in the world and knows more languages, again by far, than any other one, and it is the most capable of all the assistants. What confuses folks is that they "dumb down" Assistants to one thing: search. Yes, Google has been better, and still is, but by a much smaller margin, in search. In some specific areas of search, such as sports, Siri has even surpassed Google. However, doing an internet search is only a tiny fraction of what a true digital assistant can do. Siri excels in so many areas like calling, reading and sending texts, opening apps, playing music, getting directions, changing phone settings, setting reminders based on time and location, making appointments, etc., etc. Of course, if you don't know that Siri can do hundreds of things very and only know what is rapidly becoming a very dated Internet meme, then you think that Siri is "laughable." LOL.

12. jefffriscotx, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2017

jefffriscotx Suspended

It is sad to find out TW is losing its competition in the high tech.
    The Htc is dead
    the most of the manufactors there are struggling with the thing used to be good at

13. George Dawes macrumors 6502a

George Dawes

he's a dreadful presenter

anyone but him for the next keynote

zzzzzz

14. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

Yes we need new energy and drive at the top.

15. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

He had a few spare air miles.

16. Cronowerx Suspended

Apple started the A11 chip 3 years ago, I'd luv to see what they got cooking inside the Apple Skunks Works team right now.

17. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Here's just one example of Siri's "intelligence" (and this is supposed to be something Siri is good at):

I say: "Hey, Siri, turn on the lights in the family room."

Siri hears: "Hey, Siri, turn off the lights in the family room."

Instead of Siri using some intelligence and recognizing that the lights in the family room were already off and that I probably wouldn't ask it to turn lights off if they're already off, Siri simply says "Ok, the lights are off." This scenario usually happens to me at least once a day. I've also seen instances where the on-screen transcription of what Siri heard is correct initially, but the transcription changes to something else right before Siri responds.

Also, I'd like to know the source for your statement that Siri is the "most used assistant by far in the world".

18. citysnaps macrumors 601

That's why it's good to not put too much stock in rumors.

19. gatearray macrumors 65816

"In a single photo, over 100 billion operations. The potential is limitless."

Gee whiz that's a lot of operations for a picture of what I'm having for lunch, sold! X-)

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

What is it you're expecting? For him to cheer on stage? He presents in a professional manner and hits on some key points. We don't need somebody up there trying to draw attention to themselves, when it's about the away from the actual product or feature being presented.

21. Jeff4Now macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Oct 23, 2017 ---
    If the iMac Pro used an NVIDIA GPU (CUDA, which has wide support for Machine Learning) rather than an ATI GPU (OpenCL, which has poor support for ML and does not support TensorFlow) then I might believe that Apple are serious about A.I.

22. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

they're pretty serious i think.
    they've built their own GPU/CPU combo.

https://futurism.com/heres-why-apples-custom-gpu-and-a11-bionic-chip-are-utterly-revolutionary/
    APPLE GOES GPU
    Apple announced a new iPhone that will be equipped with some impressive hardware. The iPhone X will have a 6-core processor and its own dedicated GPU, which will allow for machine learning.

The new iPhone X was announced today, and for many Apple fans, this has been one of the most significant announcements the company has delivered in a long while. New generations of iPhone have always accommodated slightly better hardware, bringing moderately upgraded capabilities like faster processors and better cameras. However, for the first time, Apple has created its own graphics processing unit (GPU) to help it soar above the competition, along with its super fast new A11 bionic 6-core processing chip.

This pairing is going to revolutionize smartphones by bringing machine learning capabilities to the palm of your hand.

23. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

Interesting phrasing. I wonder if by "autonomous system" he's implying automobiles?

24. McScooby macrumors 6502a

Once again I’ll say it & no doubt be castigated as this only affects me, allegedly, but where the feck is offline Siri? Jeff talks a good game, but it’s all mince until he shows the goods, First excuse was that the processor chip wasn’t powerful enough for local Siri vs. Voice Control which it replaced, don’t think that argument holds water anymore, anybody would think it’s a deliberate ploy by :apple: to keep hold of & use our data/voices (anon of course) to fuel their own means?:(