Apple's Juniper Visa Card should I Apply?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NyMetsFan08, Oct 24, 2008.

1. NyMetsFan08 macrumors regular

Hey everyone I have been improving my credit score for 3 months I turned 18 in August. I got approved for a credit card in August of 2008 and I have been paying it off and on time with minimum payments etc. which is helping my credit score. They offer me a very low limit not surprise since I was just starting out. It's now almost November and I was just wondering should I apply for the Juniper Visa Card? will I most likely get denied. Do you need excellent credit? I am planning to pay it all off before 90 days and then close it. Any ideas? if I should or not. Any details please let me know before I make a move.

2. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Its a bad idea to open and close credit cards. If you can pay it off in 90 days, just pay cash. Or put part of it on your existing credit card and pay the remainder in cash and payoff the credit card once you get the bill the next month if you're looking to continue to build credit.

Further, if you search for Juniper Visa you will find a bunch of threads about why you should NOT apply for the card.

3. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

I would advise against it but seeing as you're only 18, there is more than likely no other place for you to get a good deal (interest wise). So I'd say apply and pay it off before the interest kicks in. If you must pay interest think of it as "a cost of building credit" and the longer it takes for you to pay it off, the more expensive the "cost"

I'd also imagine you getting turned down since you've only had a credit card for a few months. The activity from August is more than likely not even on your credit report yet. Worst thing that can happen is they say no.

Best ways to build credit get a cell phone in your name and have your parents change a utility (like cable) to your name.

4. NyMetsFan08 thread starter macrumors regular

I heard it's a hard pull. The card I have says they report it to the credit agencies every month to let them know how I am doing.

5. PaulinMaryland macrumors regular

PaulinMaryland

I opened an Apple Juniper credit account (and hence received their card) to buy my college-bound daughter her white MacBook in 2006. They have twice raised my credit limit, though I neither asked them to nor wanted it. Otherwise, no complaints.

6. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Closing an account might have a negative effect on your credit score. It is better to still carry an account, even with zero balance, than to close it down. To get more info you might want to google on what factors that people get commonly involved in change their credit score.

7. NyMetsFan08 thread starter macrumors regular

You must of have a good credit history. Like for me I just started out so who knows what might happen.

8. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

It isn't THAT bad to close a credit card, but you have to measure the liability of having the card (will it get lost/stolen? Will you be tempted to spend like crazy?) and how it will affect your overall debt/credi ratio.

9. NyMetsFan08 thread starter macrumors regular

I am only most likely only going to take $200 off the card that is all. Then pay that off within the 90 days that is all then not use it.

10. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

True. Except that if someone is "tempted to spend like crazy", they should see a mental health professional, most of whom, incidentally, will take the same credit card as a means of payment :D.

Plus, having an idle credit card with zero balance actually decreases (that is, improves) your debt/credit ratio.

11. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I dont think theres any chance you will get the card, they seem to be pretty strict on who they accept.
    Im 90% sure cell phones can only hurt your credit score. There are many things that will hurt your credit score if you miss a payment but not help your credit score at all when you make perfect payments. Cell phone companies dont report your good credit behavior, only your bad, which I think should be illegal. I know that when I had a phone for a year that it didnt do jack to help me get a credit card, I was still labeled as someone with no credit history when I got my rejection letter (maybe I should have missed some payments? bad credit is considered better than no credit for some reason).

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The cell phone company doesn't actually report anything... the only thing they do is if you start missing payments, they'll sell the contract to a collection agency. And that triggers your bad credit.

NyMetsFan08, are you a student? Most banks offer a student card, and they're obviously more lenient in offering them to people with no/little credit history. I got my VISA in my first year with a $500 limit (now $1000), when I applied for a student card a year later I got approved with a $2000 limit. One of my friends with zero credit history got approved with a $1500 limit.

If you're not a student, then you might have harder time, though. :/

13. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

i applied for the juniper visa card thinking i could get the 3 month interest free promotion, but my credit limit wasn't even high enough to buy a mb, so it was pointless.

14. NyMetsFan08 thread starter macrumors regular

how much did they approve you for? and did you have a credit history or some credit. I only need a few hundred thats all.

15. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

500 :confused:. my plan was to charge the whole thing on the juniper card so i could have 3 months to pay it off interest free, but jeez 500? i have several cc's already, so that is probably the reason for the low credit limit. i don't even use the juniper card now as my limits have gone up on the other cards.

16. ChrisA macrumors G4

Does no harm to apply. Takes only a few minutes.
    I got one once because they offered me a $20 cash back deal. I took the cash and only used the card once and paid it down to zero when the bill came. (Thanks for the $20.) I think I may still have the account but I'll never use it again. I cut up the physical plastic card.

About closing out or keeping the card. It could be good or bad to your rating. Good if it shows a history of on time payments, like you plan to do but bad if your TOTAL (of all cards and loans) line of available credit is "high" compared to your income. In other words people will not want to loan you money if they see you have six cards with a $10K limit each and you make less than $40K a year. The best thing you can do is hold a couple low limit cards, use them for ordinary stuff and pay the bill down to ZERO every month. This will cost you nothing.

17. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

18. NyMetsFan08 thread starter macrumors regular

that's is more than enough i need. I have a credit card already I have been using for 3 months. You think that will be enough to approve me.

19. NyMetsFan08 thread starter macrumors regular

I always made payments on time for the past 3 months. I just need a little limit.

20. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Chase has student master cards that have 12 month no interest, the minimum they give people is $300 and should approve anyone thats in school. If all you need is a few hundred then there are much better alternatives to the crappy juniper card.

Be aware that maxing out your credit hurts your score. You start receiving penalties after you reach 30% of your credit.

21. NyMetsFan08 thread starter macrumors regular

how about the paypal plus credit card?

22. f1 macrumors 6502

With the credit crisis in the US right now, Banks are VERY wary of who they extend credit to. You say that you've only had a credit card for a few months; it takes at least a year to establish a credit profile where creditors feel very comfortable lending you money, so with today's economy the chances of you getting approved for the Juniper card or getting approved with a feasible limit is slim. Therefore I wouldn't bother applying for the card because it'll put a hard pull your profile, dropping your credit score, and chances are you will not be approved for the card. Time to save up for you MB purchase don't buy it now if you don't need it or can't afford it.

23. NyMetsFan08 thread starter macrumors regular

so I shouldn't even bother how about the Paypal plus GE Money Bank any idea or any recommendations?

24. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Banks are being stingy when it comes to giving home/auto loans sure but they won't look at a $1,000 credit card the same. Banks make money off of credit cards too so it's not like they're doing us a favor by giving us a line of credit. What will probably happen is if they would have given him $1,000 then the may give less.

OP, you don't have real credit yet so the only REAL bad thing you can do for your score is to skip a payment. Applying for credit and not getting it will not hurt you at this point.

I'm kind of on the edge of my seat here, I wanna see if you get accepted. I'm pretty sure you will.