Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
Not talking about the magnets but rather, it has a new two toned look now where the outer layer and the phone case inside the wallet are two different shades of colour. In contrast, the X Folios, the colour was the exact same throughout. Even the black XS Folio, the inside is a lighter gray, the Forest Greens inside is a lighter green too..it’s a nice subtle touch they did here.

Here’s my Cape Cod Blue Folio as an example:

714F5F0D-E6EF-45FC-991C-69228717EEE4.jpeg

97CD6592-744F-4D96-AAF2-D05F654CDDB3.jpeg

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
The two-tone leather colors (inner/outer) is actually not new, just a bit more pronounced this year. It was more subtle last year (I have both). I wish that Apple would've used this lighter color leather for the Apple logo to create a nice contrast on the back of the case.

One change that I am not a fan of (over last year's model for the X) is the inner flap design. The two stitches to keep your debit card in a safe magnet free zone were better placed a bit more to the left versus how they are positioned now. It was easier to fish the card into place effortlessly since there was more wiggle room to position the card. Now you need to aim in-between the stitches a bit too soon while putting the card away quickly.

I also prefer the cards to be completely covered to keep the display free of marks - as they were in last year's design. It also looked nicer when the flap was open and all you can see is the interior leather, no cards showing. Now the front card pocket leaves the card exposed. These tweaks by Apple are a bit backwards in my opinion.

Reactions: Breezygirl

paulschofield76

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2016
Kind of along the same lines, does anyone know if it's still possible to buy the folio cases for the X with the magnets positioned correctly?
I'm assuming the silicone cases for the XS will fit the X with extra room around the camera

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Where'd you get that wallpaper at?

I was looking for the planet / bubble wallpaper that's shown on all the promo pics, but I can't seem to find it.

I have an X & iOS 12 downloaded, & was able to get the colorful blur, but the other one isn't in wallpapers.

Reactions: Arcontia

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
Where'd you get that wallpaper at?

I was looking for the planet / bubble wallpaper that's shown on all the promo pics, but I can't seem to find it.

I have an X & iOS 12 downloaded, & was able to get the colorful blur, but the other one isn't in wallpapers.

I have an XS and the colour planet wallpapers come pre-installed on that (and the XS Max), I've heard it isn't available on older iPhones :/ There should be somewhere on the Internet to download it from though.

Kind of along the same lines, does anyone know if it's still possible to buy the folio cases for the X with the magnets positioned correctly?
I'm assuming the silicone cases for the XS will fit the X with extra room around the camera

The X Folio cases have been officially (quietly) discontinued now. Yup, XS cases will fit the X, with a tad bit of extra room at the bottom.

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
How are you enjoying this case so far ?

I gotta say I'm liking it more than I thought I would.

Initially I liked none of the colour options available for the XS Folio, they looked too drab...but then I got the Cape Cod Blue and its a really nice mellow, soft, blue. Similar to the Sea Blue leather for the iPhone 7, albeit more toned down.

I'm actually able to go wallet-free now. I have Apple Pay on Watch and Phone, use that everywhere (in Australia you can use AP anywhere where contactless is accepted), and then in the wallet holder I keep my transport smart-card, license. Done. Easy!

The case itself is stylish and really makes the phone feel more like a wallet rather than a phone case :) Don't have issues taking pictures with it. Who cares the flap hangs down?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.