Apples leather sleeve

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Rob198612, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Rob198612 macrumors 6502

I'm tempted very tempted to get that leather sleeve for my 12.9 iPad especially with the pencil holder. What is holding me back is the price tag I think $149 is way too steep. Anyone here bought it? If so is it worth the tag? Any photos? Especially with the iPad in place?

Thanks for any help

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

On the fence as well

Like it but not cheap

Planning on getting the keyboard as well

3. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

I've seen about 2 or 3 YouTube videos - you should search it and check them out. I was very very tempted as you are as well. I don't blame you, the leather seems great quality and it just looks so good. I don't mind that it's skinny or flismy but I decided against it and went with dodocase durables (I don't know if they make it for 12.9). I find that although it would protect it as much as it needs to, I find that I'd still be worried too much about the iPad and also the case itsel! It's so nice looking!

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Decided to skip the sleeve and have brought the Smart Keyboard and Smart Cover instead

5. iAdamator macrumors regular

Do we know yet if the sleeve can hold the iPad with a smart cover on?

6. nbuubu macrumors regular

From the reviews I've read, the sleeve works best with the Smart Cover or Smart Keyboard. One even said that a "naked" iPad was too loose in the sleeve and slipped out, despite having a Pencil inserted in the end.

I actually wanted the sleeve as an option for carrying a "naked" iPad ... I don't need the keyboard and I never liked the smart cover. Guess I'll have to figure out something else, as a sleeve would be perfect I just don't want to have to also use a cover.

7. yegon, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017

yegon macrumors 68020

I'll echo this question, but would also like to know if it fits the iPad with Smart Keyboard as well? I'm assuming it doesn't, but it's worth asking.

@nbuubu
    That's interesting, I'd assumed it was designed for a naked iPad.

8. iAdamator macrumors regular

Do we still not have confirmation as to weather the sleeve will handle the iPad with a smart cover? I keep looking online and on YouTube. You think this would be confirmed by now!

9. yegon macrumors 68020

Yeah, strange we've not had any confirmation yet. Watched a few vids on YouTube, nothing conclusive from what I've viewed. One guy said it'd "probably" fit, but he didn't have an 10.5" and cover to try it with, so that's utterly useless advice.

10. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I was almost glad they did not have any for the 12.9" at the Apple store this morning. I saw the 10.5" black and it's beautiful, but opted for an incase 13" neoprene sleeve and a cheaper silicon back case from Amazon instead.

11. Jmoc916 macrumors member

I can confirm after just picking my iPad 10.5 and Smart Cover that it does fit in with the sleeve. Sleeve is extremely expensive but the quality is there. If you're just looking for protection and carrying it is perfect. I never worry about dropping or dinging but I cannot see major dings hurting this... but drops it may not be the best protector

12. gui0312 macrumors 6502

gui0312

I'm thinking about the sleeve as well. Only thing(s) holding me back are obviously the price and the fact that I will need to possibly get a smart cover also to prop it up when typing on with the software keyboard or with an Apple keyboard. Anyone else use their iPad without a smart cover or more so just naked?

13. iAdamator macrumors regular

Could we trouble you for some photos?

14. LostAggie macrumors 6502

Most interested in whether it fits with smart keyboard...

15. gui0312, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017

gui0312 macrumors 6502

gui0312

I came from the Apple Store today and can confirm it fits with the smart keyboard and smart covers. The smart keyboard obviously being a bit thicker shows more of a bulge and is a bit more snug to remove than with the smart cover

16. yegon macrumors 68020

Thanks for the info.

17. Jmoc916 macrumors member

Yea I was in and out so didn't check that. They also didn't have the keyboard available for purchase so I had to go with cover for now. Good to know as well

18. Allewsive macrumors member

Allewsive

Works great, see my little video I made for everyone here. Just a quick little snippet of me using the sleeve and Smart Cover with the new 10.5"

19. nbuubu macrumors regular

Can you tell us if the ipad without a smart cover is loose in the sleeve? Curious about the reports that the sleeve seems to be designed to be used with a cover, which seems kinda redundant.

edit: nvm, watched to the end of your video. Thanks so much for sharing.

Does it seem like the naked ipad would slip out? Read a review that seemed to say it would.

20. Jmoc916 macrumors member

It fits perfect without one. Slides in easy... if you were holding it like upside down or something it may slide out. The pen helps hold it in. Ithink on top of the Smart Cover fitting more snug the reason it feels safer is the materiel of the cover almost rubbing against the felt inside that keeps it from moving rather than a smooth finish. For carrying around I think it would be fine

21. nbuubu macrumors regular

Thanks, that's really helpful.

Sadly it looks like the Leather Sleeve is sold out and the next batch won't ship for a week or two.

22. CC117 macrumors 6502

CC117

That video was really useful.

It looks like without the Smart Cover it fits well in there. I was worried about it being much too loose.

Can’t wait for mine to arrive. Still processing but delivery due between 15th - 22nd June :D

23. Giev macrumors member

My issue with the sleeve is that I don't feel it offers protection as much as the case did. I know if looks nice and feels great, but its an expensive way of avoiding scratches really, I dont feel it offer much protectiongs against acceidetals falls, etc.

24. Alicia1 macrumors regular

I purchased the midnight blue leather sleeve and the pink sand smart cover. Unfortunately the blue dye started staining the pink sand Smart Cover so I ended up taking the sleeve back to apple tonight.