Apple's line-up is driving me insane

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by UglyLittleSpud, Aug 4, 2009.

1. UglyLittleSpud macrumors member

Okay, so I'm looking at getting a new Mac but...

I don't need the portability of a laptop.
    I don't really need a laptop on a stand (iMac).
    I can't afford the Mac Pro.

Right now, I'm open to suggestions as to what to do. Primary uses will be web browsing, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Garageband and I'm just getting into Cinema 4d/Maya and After Effects.

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

So, you need a mini. Buy the base model and upgrade the RAM to 4GB. Then if you can afford it get the apple 24" monitor. If not, get a cheap one off eBay :)

3. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

4. cube macrumors G5

Price, performance, and expandability of a laptop without the portability.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Get the 24" iMac and spec up the graphics card. 1TB HDD, up to 8GB of RAM and the Radeon 4870 - nothing laptop on a stand about it. I don't know where people get that idea. It spanks the mini for performance and you have everything right there on your desk.

6. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

If the MacPro is too expensive then a maxed out iMac probably is too...

7. UglyLittleSpud thread starter macrumors member

Well, yeah probably. I just priced it up over at Apple's site and....well, I've bought cars for less money than that! :D

8. cube macrumors G5

It uses laptop CPU and memory.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Big whoop. They're bloody fast machines and quiet to boot. The mini uses a laptop CPU and memory but Final Cut and Maya etc will suck on it because of the slow HDD and integrated graphics.

10. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

Why is the iMac is an issue for you? The iMac would handle the programs your looking for beautifully. The iMac will outperform the MacBook Pro.....so I don't really get how you came to the conclusion of an iMac being a laptop with a stand.

11. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

So put a 7200 drive in the mini
    and what integrated graphics?

12. UglyLittleSpud thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps I'm being overly harsh about it! Maybe an iMac would be best, but you can't get one with dedicated graphics for less than £1500...

I know this is a poor comparison, but I could build 2 i7 PCs for that amount (granted, they wouldn't be Macs and therefore would be inherently inferior).

13. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

How long do you want it for?
    With the mini if you buy a nice display, you will only have to upgrade the computer for the next few years.

14. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

Then building a PC may be the best thing for you if you don't mind windows. It's a personal preference really. I sense you are carefully watching the $$$. You have two options. Buy a PC or mac mini now, or wait and save up for a mac that you would truly want. That's how I first started and am happy about it.

15. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Like with many others, only a Hackintosh can offer what you need. Buy one from PearC (in Europe) or Psystar (in the US).

16. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Well... of course you can buy 39827492879 PCs, but what will you do with them? It's just that I don't like the "I could buy X of *** instead of a ***".

I agree the iMac is the best solution here. It's better than the Mini, which does use notebook components (GPU, CPU, RAM, HDD) and will suit you just fine.

The 1500 pounds one is the best choice you can make. Save a few bucks (I assume you've already got at least 1000 pounds), and get it.

Or, you could buy a notebook and use it as the hardware, connected to a monitor of your choice, but this will end up being way more expensive.

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The iMac also uses notebook GPU, CPU and RAM with a desktop 3.5" HDD.

Sadly Apple doesn't make a computer with cheaper and more powerful desktop components so they are going to be more expensive than desktop PCs. If you need dedicated graphics then unfortunately the cheapest options are either the £1499 iMac or 15" MacBook Pro for the same money.

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

NVIDIA 9400M is an integrated graphics system. It is on board and uses system memory. It beats the pants off the old Intel GMA but it is still no match for the dedicated cards in the higher end iMacs.

The iMac will carve up the apps mentioned. It's a much better option than a specced up mini + decent monitor + ancillaries.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can always opt for an older generation Mac Pro and get it used; will save you some money and it'll probably be more powerful than the current iMac and Mac mini.

20. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I doubt the op would be happy with a mini. It's a laptop in a box vs. a laptop on a stand. :)

How about looking for a used Mac Pro?

21. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

22. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

with those programs I'd say that your only option is a high-end iMac or a used Mac Pro

23. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

+1
    The 2.8GHz octo from the last gen is just as powerful at most tasks than the 2.66GHz octo, but much cheaper.

24. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

25. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member