Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon is selling the 13-inch M1 MacBook Air for $699.00, down from the original price of $999.00. This is an overall solid second-best price on this version of the MacBook Air, and it's the first time the computer has been in stock at a steep discount in weeks.

M1-MacBook-Air-Deals-Feature-Warm.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

The model that Amazon has for $699.00 is the entry-level version with 8GB Unified Memory, an 8-core CPU, a 7-core GPU, and a 256GB SSD. You can get both the Gold and Silver colorways at this price, with delivery as soon as May 24 if you have Amazon Prime.

Apple discontinued the M1 MacBook Air back in March, which is why we're seeing such low prices on remaining inventory. The M1 MacBook Air first came out in 2020, so it is four years old at this point, but the Apple silicon chip is still more than adequate for day-to-day tasks. As the M1 MacBook Air is no longer being manufactured, available supply is likely to dry up soon.

Head to our full Deals Roundup to get caught up with all of the latest deals and discounts that we've been tracking over the past week.

Article Link: Apple's M1 MacBook Air Drops to Low Price of $699 on Amazon

Justin Cymbal

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
Awesome

Amazon finally matched Walmart’s price:

It’s actually now cheaper if you buy it through Amazon (using the Amazon credit card) which gives you 5% in rewards

Reactions: menace3

NachoNoir

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011
These are, by any means, still very good machines capable of almost anything an average consumer needs from a laptop personal computer.

What I would be concerned, though, is for how long will Apple keep updating MacOS on these machines. These were launched in 2020, almost 4 years ago. If I stopped getting new MacOS updates in the 2026 release, I would not be very happy.

(I've been bitten by this for a long time, my Late-2012 iMac Intel Core i7 32GB GTX680 3TB Fusion got its last update on Catalina (2019), when it was still a very capable machine; and in the following years, it started becoming more and more unusable due to apps lacking support of older OSes. I'm now running Monterey using OpenCore Legacy Patcher and it's still very very usable).

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I've long maintained that an 8GB M1 Air is more computer that most 'normal' people need. My wife has one for email, photos, internet, MS Office. She seem to know how to quit apps, so they are ALL running ALL the time and she always has a billion browser tabs open. This machine eats all of that up, gives her all day long battery life and runs like butter.

I could probably use it for most of my daily productivity work too. Apple knocked it out of the park with M1.

I've been computing sine the 1980's and this sub $700 M1 Air and the $349 iPad blow my mind. It's just incredible how affordable this powerful modern tech has become.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
These are, by any means, still very good machines capable of almost anything an average consumer needs from a laptop personal computer.

What I would be concerned, though, is for how long will Apple keep updating MacOS on these machines. These were launched in 2020, almost 4 years ago. If I stopped getting new MacOS updates in the 2026 release, I would not be very happy.

(I've been bitten by this for a long time, my Late-2012 iMac Intel Core i7 32GB GTX680 3TB Fusion got its last update on Catalina (2019), when it was still a very capable machine; and in the following years, it started becoming more and more unusable due to apps lacking support of older OSes. I'm now running Monterey using OpenCore Legacy Patcher and it's still very very usable).

It will be interesting to see how Apple manages this. M1 has a potentially LONG shelf-life unless they radically up the requirements of some future version of MacOS. I mean, M1 still feels fast and fresh today.

That said, at this end of the price range, I think that we can only reasonably expect 2-3 years of updates and that anything beyond that will be a bonus. It's not like we pay Apple for MacOS like we had to back in the day (although I would do that if it meant keeping older hardware for longer). And let's remember that it won't suddenly stop working when it ages out of new MacOS updates. I have family members on 12-year old Macs that still use them and won't upgrade "because it works fine!!".

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
These are good prices. I was considering getting a used M1 MBA to replace my wife's 2017 i5-5350U MBA, but considering the M1 is already almost 4 years old and about to lose new macOS support, in the end I decided instead to wait to get a new M4 MacBook Air. I'm predicting the M4 MBA will come with 12 GB base.

She doesn't need 16 GB RAM, and 8 GB is probably OK, but 12 GB would be the sweet spot for longevity for her usage. A 12 GB M4 MBA in 2025 could last her literally a decade.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I really think this is all to clear the stock out (and parts on hand on the Apple side) and this price point will be gone by the end of 2024

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
absolutely blows my mind to see such a good Mac at that price point. Apple Silicon has been so transformative for this whole lineup.

Reactions: spaxxedout

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
There’s really no excuse for Apple to not support M1 machines for at least 10 years from release.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011

Apple Silicon has upended all traditional theories about how long a Mac gets current OS support.

It is not unrealistic to think the M1-based Macs will get the "new" macOS that releases in Fall 2028 or 2029. With a couple more years of security updates. M1 should be supported through 2030.

Reactions: trusso

MacLawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
Apple Silicon has upended all traditional theories about how long a Mac gets current OS support.

It is not unrealistic to think the M1-based Macs will get the "new" macOS that releases in Fall 2028 or 2029. With a couple more years of security updates. M1 should be supported through 2030.
Agreed. The security updates are the most important thing. When they stop it's recycle time.

Jimmdean

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2007
msrp. and I’m not actually certain this is discontinued. Apple stopped selling it themselves, but I don’t know why they would have Walmart selling them if they weren’t still making them. Walmart made a big deal about this offering and the announcement was made after the model was supposedly discontinued. Yet again maybe they had a couple million left unsold - who knows…

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
msrp. and I’m not actually certain this is discontinued. Apple stopped selling it themselves, but I don’t know why they would have Walmart selling them if they weren’t still making them. Walmart made a big deal about this offering and the announcement was made after the model was supposedly discontinued.
The M1 Air was never discontinued, Apple simply started distributing it through a different channel(s).

Lots of folks here disagree, but the facts back this up.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

Considering Apple was selling the M1 MBA new only a couple of months ago, yes a buyer should be upset if it didn't get updates starting in 2026, but also that is just super unlikely. It will likely get updates past 2028, but 2028 would be about right if you want a conservative estimate and it would change your buying decision today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.