Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
There are AI features that Apple has already built in that are not like a ChatGPT chatbot.

• typing suggestions that learn from your typing.
  • facial recognition in Photos
  • searching in Photos for people, animals, and other things like bicycles, snow, food, etc.
  • selecting the main subject of a photo to copy or blur the background.
  • identifying and allowing copying text from photos.
  • localizing the audio from the microphones on a MacBook to allow blocking out surrounding sounds.
  • processing of the video signal from the webcam in a MacBook to improve the image quality.
Those are just some of the things I can think of off hand. Apple likely does other AI features and will add even more in the new OS versions.

Indeed. (Copying text even works with videos!) Modern variants of portrait mode and studio light (is that the name?), too, and macOS Sonoma's video effects.

Almost all of these are ML, though. I think only the first (iOS 17's new typing suggestions) is a form of an LLM.

Hopefully there will be also a way to turn all of this completely off, as well as all the other AI nonsense.

Those examples are hardly nonsense. They're quite useful, and the success rate is pretty good, IMHO.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Indeed. (Copying text even works with videos!) Modern variants of portrait mode and studio light (is that the name?), too, and macOS Sonoma's video effects.

Almost all of these are ML, though. I think only the first (iOS 17's new typing suggestions) is a form of an LLM.

Those examples are hardly nonsense. They're quite useful, and the success rate is pretty good, IMHO.
Yes, Apple uses the term “machine learning“ for them and most of them are not LLMs. We do know that the typing suggestions are a “transformer” which is a type of LLM.

All of these are AI and my comment was pointing them out to someone who claimed they had no use for AI. Too many people have a very narrow view of what AI is. It’s not always an answerbot.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Hopefully there will be also a way to turn all of this completely off, as well as all the other AI nonsense.
Those features already exist. Not sure which ones you can turn off. Some of the upcoming AI is likely to be larger scale and probably easier to turn off or avoid. Unless you find it useful.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Those features already exist. Not sure which ones you can turn off. Some of the upcoming AI is likely to be larger scale and probably easier to turn off or avoid. Unless you find it useful.

For the time being, none of these features are useful for me, so if possible, turning them off would be the best

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
In theory, I really like the idea of a smart home and computer enabled by AI. I don't like how the government is regulating AI to only understand its 'truth'. So ... I'm with you. I'll take the option to toggle it off.

Reactions: rjbenson83 and geta

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
This is backwards, actually. LLMs are an application of Transformers. Transformers can also be used for natural language understanding, spell checking / typing suggestions, etc.
Sorry, I mis-“spoke” and was being a little sloppy.

Yes, LLMs are a particular use of transformers. I was commenting to someone who was complaining that Apple’s AI was all just “machine learning” and not “LLMs”.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
In theory, I really like the idea of a smart home and computer enabled by AI. I don't like how the government is regulating AI to only understand its 'truth'. So ... I'm with you. I'll take the option to toggle it off.
You must being seeing some regulation that has escaped the rest of us.

Reactions: heretiq

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Sorry, I mis-“spoke” and was being a little sloppy.

Yes, LLMs are a particular use of transformers. I was commenting to someone who was complaining that Apple’s AI was all just “machine learning” and not “LLMs”.

I’m not sure where you read that I was “complaining”. I wasn’t even disagreeing with your point; I was merely voicing curiosity what else Apple will do beyond their (for now predominantly ML) uses.

Reactions: Tagbert

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I’m not sure where you read that I was “complaining”. I wasn’t even disagreeing with your point; I was merely voicing curiosity what else Apple will do beyond their (for now predominantly ML) uses.
Sorry, it’s been a long day and that conversation seems to long ago.

Reactions: chucker23n1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.