Apple's .MAC service: your experience ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by markwise, May 20, 2008.

1. markwise macrumors member

As I run my own consultancy agency I need to have my files online 24/7

I have a MBA and plan to get an iMac. However as a mac newbee, running and maintaining my own server is yet one station too far

Studying Apple's website I came across the possibility of a subscription to .Mac and I wondered if this service might actually serve my business needs

Are there any of you that already use .mac to make your files available
    What is your experience ??

If ot how have you made it possible ? Do you have other solutions than .mac that can help to organize my business ?

THX a lot in advance for your input

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I suppose it's all a question of scale. How much data do you plan to be moving monthly?

3. markwise thread starter macrumors member

So far it is about 3 GB

I understood that via .mac one can access one' s own mac.
    Does this mean that I will also be able to use specific programs/ software that run on my mac ?

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

3GB should be fine with a standard .Mac subscription using iDisk to let people download files that you give them access to.

You're referring to 'Back to my Mac', which as I understand it only lets you access files, not run remote software. You can always use something like VNC or Apple Remote Desktop if you want to remote into your iMac from the MBA while out and about.

5. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

In all fairness, "Back to my Mac" sorta allows you to run remote software, in that when you open a Finder window to connect to your "remote" Mac, you can click the button "share screen", and it basically functions the same way as Remote Desktop... you can view your remote mac's screen, open applications, yadda yadda yadda... all without the need for ARD. :)

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, you can access your entire drive via Back To My Mac (actually via file sharing, the BTMM feature is really just to make that available from any location), so many programs can be run directly on your machine from the Mac you're connecting to. Some won't because they require certain files to be installed, but anything self-contained like a good Mac program should be will work fine.

Or you can fire up Screen Sharing and do it that way, it'll work fine too except it won't be running locally.

jW