Apple's Mail: a good alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stephan.works, Jul 11, 2011.

1. stephan.works macrumors member

Hi!

Has anyone tried this alternative to Mail?

www.personamail.info

[​IMG]

I don't really like Mail... Gmail has great features but I really much prefer a native app... and Sparrow is -surprisingly, given the premises- quite painful to use.

Anyone knows where to download this app?

Thanks!

2. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

3. WiBu macrumors member

It might be worth checking out the Mail app in Lion.

4. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

5. Squicken macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I use Sparrow. Check it out in the app store :D

6. stuartmack1974 macrumors member

Sparrow is great and I ditched apple mail a while ago as a result. Just wish theyd tweak a few elements, like enabling a two finger tap to delete instead of having to always hit the trash or keyboard delete button.

It's good though. ;)

Stu

7. stephan.works thread starter macrumors member

Personally I don't really like Sparrow. It looks way better than Gmail but, at the end of the day, I'm not happy using it.

Moreover the client I was mentioning (Persona) has some cool visualization to browse attachments and to see conversations.
    Check towards the end of the demo-video or see screenshot below.

Screen shot 2011-07-11 at 20.46.47 .png

That's why I was wondering if it is already available...

8. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

I would definitely give it a try.
    Would be nice if the devs offered a 2 week trial period to test it out.

9. stephan.works thread starter macrumors member

After reading in a couple of blogs it seems that Persona is not yet available... but I am still so curious!!!! ;)

10. kasakka macrumors 68000

Persona seems like yet another program that tries to cram social media like Facebook into it. In fact it seems to take the Facebook concept and apply it to email. I've yet to see social media integration work in a good way in any application.

In most cases you would not have pictures of people, you would probably get tons of visual problems because it won't handle all that quoted crap from Outlook, most likely won't do threaded mail with different languages (for example in Finnish, Outlook uses VS:VS:VS instead of Re:Re:Re to indicate replies and those change the subject) and I wonder how well it will handle previewing for example Word or Powerpoint documents.

Don't take me wrong, it's good that people try new things. I just don't see it working well beyond the "family and friends" type emailing.

PS. Google has a few previews of their upcoming Gmail themes (can be tried by changing theme). I quite like them, they've clean and rather Mac like. I use Fluid to turn Gmail into its own app and find it works very well. Not a fan of Sparrow either, just too many things that don't work like I would like them to.

11. numlock macrumors 68000

always nice to see different ideas but i use mail.app at work and then gmail at other times and i cant see why and when i would this one.

i must say though that the attachment view is pretty smart. will probably get stolen and used elsewhere

12. Fuchal macrumors 68020

13. Darealtbone macrumors newbie

Persona Mail

We are getting there. Please visit www.personamail.com for progress updates.

14. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

2 year old thread man, come on. No one from the thread cares at this point.