Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vampyr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
I was checking out Apple's website to read about the new iPhone and noticed that Apple uses certain adjectives to describe their new products.
Some of the words that seem to always show up were 'Amazing', 'Advanced', 'Powerful', 'Incredible' are just a few.

It's interesting also to start to notice the word play that Apple uses... for example... it's not just a "password"... but "an unforgettable password". Or you don't just shoot images and videos but instead shoot "beautiful images and videos".
And of course EVERYTHING you do with an Apple products is done with your "favorite" this or that.

Take a look at their website and see if you can figure out what word they seem to use the most to describe their products? Personally, I noticed that the word 'advanced' tends to be used a lot!

Just some random thoughts...

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
This word trickery must stop!
walek.gif

We demand 'awful' and 'archaic'. :rolleyes:

321estrellas

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
It certainly is marketing but definitely not a trick. Strong adjectives will make you want the phone even more, no? The iPhone has a hefty price tag to it, so they definitely need to feel like the customer is getting their money's worth!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I was checking out Apple's website to read about the new iPhone and noticed that Apple uses certain adjectives to describe their new products.
Some of the words that seem to always show up were 'Amazing', 'Advanced', 'Powerful', 'Incredible' are just a few.

It's interesting also to start to notice the word play that Apple uses... for example... it's not just a "password"... but "an unforgettable password". Or you don't just shoot images and videos but instead shoot "beautiful images and videos".
And of course EVERYTHING you do with an Apple products is done with your "favorite" this or that.

Take a look at their website and see if you can figure out what word they seem to use the most to describe their products? Personally, I noticed that the word 'advanced' tends to be used a lot!

Then there are the words Apple uses to reference jailbreaking and jailbreakers. Not such great words there! ;)

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Pretty sure all companies do this to advertise their products.

vampyr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
It certainly is marketing but definitely not a trick. Strong adjectives will make you want the phone even more, no? The iPhone has a hefty price tag to it, so they definitely need to feel like the customer is getting their money's worth!

Well technically, it does trick you. Our mind subconsciously picks up those words... so that when we think about them later, we unknowingly associate 'amazing' and 'advanced' with their product.

In truth, all the words are just opinions, and some of them are false. Saying that it's "the most advanced... yet" is false. Saying that it is 'amazing' or 'beautiful' or 'simple' is opinion.
I think Apple's marketing team are geniuses by doing this. To me, this is what started to turn Apple around... and it started in the way Steve Jobs would use these words when he first introduced the iPhone. One of the reasons why I liked watching those earlier Apple videos. Watching it made me think "Wow... if I had that phone, then I would be AMAZING and ADVANCED" LOL!!!

Too bad parents can't be as positive to their children as Apple is with their products!!! Ha!

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

if you see two ads, which one (below, just quick examples) makes you thinking to buy the phone?

"take your everyday photos with this new iphone. some of the new features we added on this year are x, y and z. the prize for the model C is..."

or

"shoot stunning photos from your family, friends, holiday trip or your lovely pet with your iphone. rich in colours and perfect shades make your photos look like pro. we added new amazing features so that you have even more freedom to express yourself. share your unforgettable moments with your friends...."

have you checked how much money apple used only for marketing?

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
OMG! You mean marketing agencies have figured out how to use provocative words to influence our buying habits? What's next? Using sex to sell stuff? What's this world coming to?

Someone, call the President! Someone has to do something before this gets out of hand!

C

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
OMG! You mean marketing agencies have figured out how to use provocative words to influence our buying habits? What's next? Using sex to sell stuff? What's this world coming to?

Someone, call the President! Someone has to do something before this gets out of hand!

C

When I was in the 5th grade back in the '60s, yes, the '60s, my teacher had the class take different ads and strip all the adjectives from them and see what was left. It was a great exercise.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
The biggest trick they played on me was tricking me into joining the upgrade program and getting me to buy a full priced phone every year for the rest of my life! I'm happy to do it of course:)

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
The biggest trick they played on me was tricking me into joining the upgrade program and getting me to buy a full priced phone every year for the rest of my life! I'm happy to do it of course:)

That's because they've used dark black magic on you... You don't know what you're in for, but you're so befuddled by their marketing genius that you go ahead with it.

C

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.