Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's brand new 13-inch 256GB M3 MacBook Air has hit $999.00 today on Amazon, down from $1,099.00. This sale is available in Midnight, but you might be able to get in Space Gray depending on stock, which has been fluctuating today. B&H Photo is matching this sale.

macbook-air-new-blue.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This is a new all-time low price on the 13-inch M3 MacBook Air, and it accompanies a similarly steep discount on the 15-inch model that we started tracking last week. In that sale, you can get the 15-inch 256GB M3 MacBook Air for $1,204.00, a $95 discount.

These MacBook Air models just launched earlier in the month, coming in both 13-inch and 15-inch sizes. Both of the new MacBook Air machines include the M3 chip and focus on internal upgrades. Apple did not change the design of the MacBook Air with the 2024 update, using the same design that was first introduced in 2022.

Because of these new MacBook Air models, we're also tracking record low prices on previous generation models. Best Buy currently has both the 13-inch and 15-inch M2 MacBook Air at all-time low prices, with up to $300 off select computers.

Head to our full Deals Roundup to get caught up with all of the latest deals and discounts that we've been tracking over the past week.

Article Link: Apple's New 13-Inch M3 MacBook Air Hits $999 Low Price on Amazon

Xil3

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
London
So done with Apple. Give 8GB Ram for basic model in 2024 pathetic! Charging people $200 for extra 8GB RAM is a crime! You can buy 64GB Ram on PC for less than $200!!!

If they don't raise the basic model to 16GB Ram, I am not buying it!

It's true. But they only charge so much because they know people will pay the price. And it's hilarious that you upset an Apple fanboi (the downvoter) by saying this - the truth hurts.

Kevin2055

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2015
I have an M1 and not even tempted. Hardware is so ahead of the software these days that you don't get much extra. Such a difference from 20 years ago when the OS would consume all the new hardware and more.
You will have much brighter screen.

Reactions: dustin_

arcite

macrumors 6502a
So done with Apple. Give 8GB Ram for basic model in 2024 pathetic! Charging people $200 for extra 8GB RAM is a crime! You can buy 64GB Ram on PC for less than $200!!!

I feel you. But on the other hand..... 8 gigs works just fine for probably 90% of daily tasks for most people. Of course, Apple knows this.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S

but but but you don't need 16gb of ram. You will use 8gb and you're going to love it.

• Haha
Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I really don't get why people are so upset about the 8GB of RAM. If it's not sufficient for your needs, pretend the 16GB model is the entry level. If you think it's not reasonably priced, vote with your wallet and buy something else. Seems simple enough. No need to rant about it.

That being said, it's interesting that Microsoft's Surface line also still starts at 8GB/256GB, including the new Surface Pro 10 and Laptop 6 that they just announced last week specifically for businesses. Not the specs that I would go with myself (just got a 16GB/1TB MBA), but I think that the more tech inclined tend to underestimate how much can be done with these specs.

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL

I came here to say the same thing. It's like a broken record with Apple, though. They refuse to accept it.

Nobody in their right mind, in 2024, should be paying $1000-ish for a new laptop computer and only getting 256GB of disk storage on it! And 8GB? That's nearly unacceptable on a cheap Windows laptop these days when the RAM is upgrade-able! Absolutely not for soldered-on memory you can't ever upgrade!

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
I really don't get why people are so upset about the 8GB of RAM. If it's not sufficient for your needs, pretend the 16GB model is the entry level. If you think it's not reasonably priced, vote with your wallet and buy something else. Seems simple enough. No need to rant about it.

That being said, it's interesting that Microsoft's Surface line also still starts at 8GB/256GB, including the new Surface Pro 10 and Laptop 6 that they just announced last week specifically for businesses. Not the specs that I would go with myself (just got a 16GB/1TB MBA), but I think that the more tech inclined tend to underestimate how much can be done with these specs.

No, there *is* a need to rant about this, because it makes life far more difficult than it needs to be for all of us who get tasked with supporting the people who wind up with these under-spec'ed machines and have issues!

If Microsoft thinks it's ok to sell a Surface with 8GB/256GB for "business", then they deserve the same bashing I give Apple for doing it.

I mean, throughout the history of the home computer, manufacturers have been selling low-spec/minimal configurations to hit certain price points. But until recently, you could at least upgrade them after the fact.

I'm sitting here at work now with an open ticket in my queue from a lady who is upset about getting strange errors in Excel whenever she keeps more than 3 financial spreadsheets open at once. She needs multiple ones open to copy/paste some figures from one to the other easily and to review data in a couple of them to know what she needs to do with a couple of others. Her Windows 10 PC has 512GB of disk space and 16GB of RAM in it.

There absolutely are people out there only doing things with their computer that work fine within restrictions like 8GB or RAM and/or 256GB of drive space. But IMO, that doesn't mean it makes sense in 2024 to keep selling people non-expandable machines for pretty high prices, that only have these specs. I've been rebuilding some older Dell and HP desktops to resell cheap and I drop 1TB SSDs in each one, because they're only about $70 each these days. The labor involved is the same to do that vs using a smaller one, so why not?

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I came here to say the same thing. It's like a broken record with Apple, though. They refuse to accept it.

Nobody in their right mind, in 2024, should be paying $1000-ish for a new laptop computer and only getting 256GB of disk storage on it! And 8GB? That's nearly unacceptable on a cheap Windows laptop these days when the RAM is upgrade-able! Absolutely not for soldered-on memory you can't ever upgrade!
Dell, Acer and Asus all have 8GB 256GB models. Wake up dude.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
No, there *is* a need to rant about this, because it makes life far more difficult than it needs to be for all of us who get tasked with supporting the people who wind up with these under-spec'ed machines and have issues!

If Microsoft thinks it's ok to sell a Surface with 8GB/256GB for "business", then they deserve the same bashing I give Apple for doing it.

I mean, throughout the history of the home computer, manufacturers have been selling low-spec/minimal configurations to hit certain price points. But until recently, you could at least upgrade them after the fact.

I'm sitting here at work now with an open ticket in my queue from a lady who is upset about getting strange errors in Excel whenever she keeps more than 3 financial spreadsheets open at once. She needs multiple ones open to copy/paste some figures from one to the other easily and to review data in a couple of them to know what she needs to do with a couple of others. Her Windows 10 PC has 512GB of disk space and 16GB of RAM in it.

There absolutely are people out there only doing things with their computer that work fine within restrictions like 8GB or RAM and/or 256GB of drive space. But IMO, that doesn't mean it makes sense in 2024 to keep selling people non-expandable machines for pretty high prices, that only have these specs. I've been rebuilding some older Dell and HP desktops to resell cheap and I drop 1TB SSDs in each one, because they're only about $70 each these days. The labor involved is the same to do that vs using a smaller one, so why not?
I hear what you're saying and it certainly sheds some more light on your perspective, but that does boil down to the customer being responsible for having a basic knowledge of what they're buying.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010

So if the model with 16Gb RAM was reduced by $1,000, you wouldn't buy it, because the base model had 8Gb of RAM?

Seems like a very strange "rule" to live by.

Reactions: ealeks
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.