Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emulajavi

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2011

All of these changes have raised the base price of the MacBook Air. Prior to the October update, the MacBook Air sold for $999, but now the base model sells for $1,199, a $200 premium. Given the scope of the revamp, the $200 upgrade fee is well worth paying for anyone thinking of purchasing a MacBook Air

What?! ‘Given the scope of the revamp, the $200 upgrade fee is well worth paying for anyone thinking of purchasing a MacBook Air’

Please stop justifying price increases just because a computer is updated. How can you justify a 20% price increase for the same product?

Also, it has lower-end Y-series processor instead of the U-series that it should have.

When the iPhone 5S was released it included TouchID, apart for improved processor, etc and the price remain the same!

Until the last two years each product Apple updated kept its price as do other manufactures.

Do you remember when Apple released a new product, kept the price and doubled the storage? Nowadays you’ll justify that if the base storage is higher, the base price should be higher.

Last edited:

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Apple is now just the greatest marketing machine ever.

It's like the world's best vacuum cleaner salesman stopped by and now I have six vacuums, plus boxes of cleaning accessories.

And my best vacuum was $8000.

I love showing it to people, I explain how the vacuum sound is perfectly adjusted with aluminium sensors that fill the whole room with harmonious vibration, how it has Retina-HEPA air filtration purifying the oxygen atoms, individually, leaving each oxygen atom the purest ever known.

Each individual dirt particle is analyzed, lifted from the carpeting in an environmentally sensitive way, leaving natural dirt particles untouched, making this vacuum, the most environmentally sensitive vacuum cleaner ever made.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Very dim screen compared to the Pro (touch/non-touch bar), Macbook, and even old Air.
Older MacBook Air had about 350 nits. New MacBook Air is about 300 nits. While the difference is there, it's not as significant as you make it out to be. And for indoor use, 100-150 nits is the recommended setting. You will want higher brightness if you use the Mac frequently under the direct sunlight.

Reactions: emmanoelle

FrostyF

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2018
Western Canada
Lot of negative comments here. Some from people who bought one, used it for a while, and returned it. Respect. But many from people who just want to trash it. Ask people who own one, who've spent more time with it than someone who saw it in a store.

I bought a 2018 MB Air a week ago to replace my early 2015 rMBP. I used the rMBP in all kinds of lighting conditions (though not so much outside) and I never found it wanting for brightness. I did a side-by-side comparison of the new MBA with my rMBP and the MBA display is every bit as bright as the rMBP's display (both are rated at 300 nits). Also, the colors are not washed out or otherwise any less pleasing than the colors on the rMBP. I am happy with the display. Sure, it's not as nice as the display on the 2018 MBP with Touch Bar, which has True Tone. But that computer is a lot more expensive than the MBA.

Some are complaining that the 2018 MBA doesn't have mag safe or the glowing apple logo. But neither does any MacBook or MacBook Pro launched in the past couple of years.

Some are complaining about the replacement of the almost universally loved chicklet keyboard with the divisive butterfly keyboard. Again, all current model MacBooks have this. I loved the previous keyboard, too, and thought I'd hate the new one. But after using it for a few days, I don't mind it at all.

Some are complaining about the need for dongles or USB-C hubs. I am living with this thing now and, at least for me, a single hub is all I need (the Satechi hub with USB-C pass-through, 3 USB-A, ethernet, SD-microSD card, and 4K HDMI). Carrying it around is no trouble at all.

Performance is absolutely fine for me. The fan can be noisy but it rarely comes on. Battery life exceeds my rMBP, which is partly because that computer (and its battery) is 3 years old. But I never got more than 6 hours on that computer, even when new, and I'm easily getting 8 on the new MBA.

The new MB Air isn't for everyone. The MB Pro w/o Touch Bar will be a better choice for people who need more power, and for people who don't think the new Air's screen is bright enough.

Haters gonna hate.

But the Air is a good purchase for some of us. For the rest of you, there are some great options for you. I won't criticize your choices because you know what's right for you, not me.

Do you know that the old Macbook Air had a 344 nit display? We're going backwards here. I've been using the new MBA for a week while I wait for my tbMBP replacement. The colors do seem washed out even compared to the old MBA.

Keyboard: "don't mind it at all" is an excuse for a worse keyboard. Everyone loved the old keyboard, nobody once said "it's ok, I'll live with it." If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My biggest gripe is they attempted to provide an upgrade and put a POS processor in it, without even providing people with upgrade options. Even the 12" MB had 3 processor options. Because there are no processor upgrades, they've forced the "medium" user into a Macbook Pro, getting more of my money to please shareholders. They happily rip people off on storage and RAM. The margins on those upgrades must be HUGE....again decisions for shareholders not the customer. In 2018 they shouldn't even be shipping a laptop with 128GB base storage. That was an acceptable option 5 years ago.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
It's a horrid typing experience a huge step down from what was already a step down. I know the past is not coming back but I still have a 2005 12" powerbook G4 I use occasionally for writing and the typing experience is a hundred times better.

I first met the butterfly keyboard in 2015 and Gen1 was really horrible. Gen 2 was a big improvement in terms of feel but needs good hygiene. Gen 3 is ok. Here's my own story on this - for quite a while I felt that the butterfly kb was difficult to type quickly and accurately on. Over time, I've come to feel that my 2015 rMBP kb is actually too squishy. The butterfly kb has grown on me. YMMV, though, it's very personal.

Reactions: clauzzz203

sub150

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2018
I was eagerly waiting a new Macbook Air but this thing sucks.

Everyone knew it needed a retina screen and they delivered that. However it doesn't beat the old screen on brightness or colors apparently.

Everyone knew Magsafe was going away but they kept but USB-C ports on the left side. To me, a fair trade off is removing Magsafe but being able to charge from either side.

The keyboard is worse. TouchID is nice but doesn't make up for it.

The CPU may be worse and it's been half a decade. Memory is the same (LOL like those prices haven't been slashed in the last 5 decades)

There just isn't enough here to justify the same cost as the MBA 4-5 years ago. It's a new screen and the same price.

Hopefully the MBP-esc has a good update as that is essentially the new "Macbook Air", a 5 year laptop that performs well for 90% of scenarios with good battery life at a decent price.

Reactions: Catonow and Yvan256

Katieg-fm

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Alberta
Love my new MacBook Air. Feels light and streamlined. I like the keyboard. Display looks great. Sounds great.

What I wish was different:
Gold colour is a slightly pink bronze, not gold. Small beef. Wish it was a glowing Apple logo. Touch ID seems to work a lot better than the Touch ID on my iPad, but I wish it was Face ID instead. Headphone jack seems useless after being eliminated on phones. I just use AirPods. I wish it was actually a third thunderbolt port on other side instead oh headphones. Any why are there no hard cases yet? Don’t need a sleeve, but it feels naked without a case. Would love a saddle leather snap on case like my phone case.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
It's a horrid typing experience a huge step down from what was already a step down. I know the past is not coming back but I still have a 2005 12" powerbook G4 I use occasionally for writing and the typing experience is a hundred times better.

If you do a lot of typing and appreciate a good keyboard with decent key travel, the 3rd generation "butterfly" keyboard is likely to be a very disappointing experience. . . Apple's focus on designing ever-thinner portable Macs means that they will never have a good keyboard like back in the Good Old Days. The cases are simply too thin for keyboards with enough key travel and feedback, two essential ingredients for a good typing experience.

I use a quality Leopold mechanical keyboard with my 2012 Mac Mini and the difference in the keyboards is particularly glaring. But even my wife's 2011 13" MBP has a much better keyboard than the current keyboards. Our 2008 15" MBP was a joy to use, having the last portable Mac keyboard worthy of a serious typist's praise.

The people who claim they "love" the 3rd generation keyboard are not competent touch-typists or they don't really do much typing. A small fraction are willing to adapt to anything just so they can continue to have access to the Mac OS without going the Hackintosh route, which isn't a serious alternative for people who just want their Macs to work right out of the box.

I recommend demoing a new MacBook Air in a store; it will take less than a minute for you to know whether you can live with the keyboard or not. . .

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
The new MacBook Air also features a haptic trackpad, so it's entirely feasible that we'll one day get them to vibrate around like RC cars:

UohQFzq.gif

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Hey guys, and recommendations for UCB-C Magsafe adapters? There are so many it seems but they break or have weak magnets or whatever. Any good ones?

I bought and used a Vinpok Bolt for a while, but stopped using it. There are too many horror stories in the MBP forum about the third party/aftermarket magnetic chargers, including fried USB-C ports. The good news is that Apple will probably cover it under warranty, but the advantages don't outweigh the risks in my mind. YMMV - but do some research in the MBP forum first.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the 2015 MacBook Air originally sell the 13 inch version for $1199. It wasn't dropped to $999 until it was several years old.

The original introductory price of the MBA was $1,299 in 2010. (This is the wedge shaped design, which is not to be confused with the 2008 MBA predecessor which was like $1,799). Anyway, the price dropped over time, and I know that when I bought my MBA in April of 2014, the base model was retailing for $999......It could have dipped below $1,000 before that time.....but, it had definitely dropped by 2014.

I actually paid much less because BB had a sale plus a student discount. It was a ridiculously good deal for the best computer I have ever owned.
[doublepost=1542241666][/doublepost]
A 2015 design introduced by Steve Jobs himself 8 years ago?

This video is actually October 2010. So, this is the 2010 MBA design that exist for 8 years from Fall of 2010 to this Fall.

Steve died in 2011, so clearly he wasn't introducing the MBA 2015 design during this video.

Last edited:

hansmueller

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Looks a nice update, has anyone done a size comparison picture between the new one and the old 11" MBA?

The new 13" MBA is only slightly wider than the old 11" MBA, but has more depth. It is also slightly heavier. Thus, in terms of weight and portability the old 11" MBA is still undefeated. I wish there would be a new 11" MBA (bigger is often not better)

swm

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2013
A 2015 design introduced by Steve Jobs himself 8 years ago?

true though, but the original design from 2009 was still superior. magsafe 1 had L-shaped connectors, the 'semi-clamshell' stuff never ever pinched my palms while opening it, and - you have to give in for this - the flip-down usb/mini-dp/headphone jack door was just amazing.

if we compare the 9 year old machine with the latest/greatest one on out-of-the-box connectivity options, well, the 2009 MBA with a single USB2 port can connect to more things simultaneously: charger, headphones, display and a usb device...

MtotheH

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2018
This is what I've been waiting for, but I'm glad I haven't impulse bought. After reading reviews, I think I'll drive my 2013 13" and my refurbed 11" into the ground. They still work great and are "fast enough".

Reactions: mpuk

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Lot of negative comments here. Some from people who bought one, used it for a while, and returned it. Respect. But many from people who just want to trash it. Ask people who own one, who've spent more time with it than someone who saw it in a store.

I bought a 2018 MB Air a week ago to replace my early 2015 rMBP. I used the rMBP in all kinds of lighting conditions (though not so much outside) and I never found it wanting for brightness. I did a side-by-side comparison of the new MBA with my rMBP and the MBA display is every bit as bright as the rMBP's display (both are rated at 300 nits). Also, the colors are not washed out or otherwise any less pleasing than the colors on the rMBP. I am happy with the display. Sure, it's not as nice as the display on the 2018 MBP with Touch Bar, which has True Tone. But that computer is a lot more expensive than the MBA.

Some are complaining that the 2018 MBA doesn't have mag safe or the glowing apple logo. But neither does any MacBook or MacBook Pro launched in the past couple of years.

Some are complaining about the replacement of the almost universally loved chicklet keyboard with the divisive butterfly keyboard. Again, all current model MacBooks have this. I loved the previous keyboard, too, and thought I'd hate the new one. But after using it for a few days, I don't mind it at all.

Some are complaining about the need for dongles or USB-C hubs. I am living with this thing now and, at least for me, a single hub is all I need (the Satechi hub with USB-C pass-through, 3 USB-A, ethernet, SD-microSD card, and 4K HDMI). Carrying it around is no trouble at all.

Performance is absolutely fine for me. The fan can be noisy but it rarely comes on. Battery life exceeds my rMBP, which is partly because that computer (and its battery) is 3 years old. But I never got more than 6 hours on that computer, even when new, and I'm easily getting 8 on the new MBA.

The new MB Air isn't for everyone. The MB Pro w/o Touch Bar will be a better choice for people who need more power, and for people who don't think the new Air's screen is bright enough.

Haters gonna hate.

But the Air is a good purchase for some of us. For the rest of you, there are some great options for you. I won't criticize your choices because you know what's right for you, not me.

It's nice to see a summary from someone that actually owns the new MBA. Clearly, it is not the right laptop for everyone, but it sounds like it will work for you. I suspect it will work for me too.

I should point out that when the 2010 MBA was introduced, MR was full of posts complaining that it was just an overpriced netbook....introductory price $1,299. Very few ports. Limited storage options. No dvd player (which almost every laptop had at the time). No backlit keyboard. If you read these posts, you would never believe that the MBA would eventually become Apple's #1 laptop and one of the most popular computers ever made.

AppleZauce

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2018
Yesterday, I received my 2018 13" MBP, 16GB RAM, and i7. Bought it refurbished and saved about $300 over brand new. I chose it to replace my mid-2012 11" i7 Air over the new Air. Why?

I looked at Geekbench and saw that the new Air scores not that much higher than the 5-year-old air it would replace. For an additional $300, I got a quad-core, 8th gen processor, 3rd gen keyboard, 500 nit display, better integrated graphics, for only 1/4 pound heavier. I'm using the new one for at least 5 years

Apple never produces a laptop with the specs I want at the price point I want. I love the new MBP so far, despite the ridiculously high price. Game, set, match Apple. You got me!

Reactions: Alhagar and madKIR

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
In my real world use, the old Macbook Air (i7, 8GB RAM) was more efficient on battery and felt less sluggish than the new one. I think the main problem is the crappy Y-series processor powering the retina display. Real world I'm getting 6 hours of battery life. I would get 7-8 at least on my old one. Switching between tabs on Chrome for example is very sluggish on the new machine. Ultimately I doubt this thing is going to last 5 years so I've got a return label ready to go as soon as my tbMBP replacement arrives.

At least telll us you waited until spotlight indexing is finished, right?
[doublepost=1542247427][/doublepost]
Had one for a couple of days but returned it.

I returned for one single reason only;
- the screen

The display colors of this new Air is in no way worth the €1600 (256Gb) I paid for.
The colors are really very dull, not vibrant, almost yellow-ish.
This is using the Air indoor at my home with normal daylight and also during the night

I have a nTB MBP Pro with a much, much better display for nearly the same price.

I did like the new keyboard a lot, so as the lightning fast TouchID on this new Air

did you go to settings/display/night shift? you can change white balance there
[doublepost=1542247501][/doublepost]
Tried the new one, screams throwaway machine all over, another very Cook-era product. (Although less soldering is appreciated, still a massive cash grab)

Right because Safari performs so well lol.

Did chrome fix their memory hogging issue yet?

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
Would still buy the old one.
Same here. I’ve already been hearing the same complaints that the 12” MacBook has been getting. Internals are simply not powerful enough to effectively power that Retina display. Would rather have lower resolution with better performance. If my 12” MB crapped out today, that would be the machine I’d buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.