Apple's New 'Find My' App for macOS and iOS Can Find Your Devices Even When They're Offline

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 3, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's "Find My Friends" app is being revamped in macOS Catalina and iOS 13, and will now be called simply "Find My." The new version of the app combines Find My iPhone and Find My Friends.

[​IMG]

The major feature of the updated app is that it can now locate Apple devices that are offline, making it even easier to find your iPhone or MacBook if you ever happen to lose it.

Apple said that when a device is offline and sleeping, it sends out a secure Bluetooth beacon that can be detected by other Apple devices nearby, even the ones owned by other people. This results in a network that works to find lost Apple devices through a secure, encrypted, and anonymous signal relay.

Article Link: Apple's New 'Find My' App for macOS and iOS Can Find Your Devices Even When They're Offline

2. benshive macrumors 6502

Not really. I think it's really cool. Just taking advantage of the fact that you're probably always within a few feet of another iPhone.

3. d5aqoëp macrumors 65816

d5aqoëp

4. Codpeace macrumors member

Codpeace

5. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

6. NickName99 macrumors 6502

NickName99

Wow, this is a really powerful feature. I definitely wouldn’t trust it from anyone but Apple; implemented carelessly, it could potentially lead to offline device hacking.

7. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

So how long does apple keep this data they have when constantly tracking you?

8. Codpeace macrumors member

Codpeace

Well, maybe, and I will certainly want to learn more about the privacy protections built into the system. Among other things, I would imagine you can turn it on upon your need for it arising -- there should be a way to do this remotely through an Apple account based on the registered ID of your device's BT hardware.

But for sure: consumers are going to love it. Find My "X" helped me find my brand-new iPad a few years back after I had carelessly forgotten it in the rush to exit a cab.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 3, 2019 ---
    They really shouldn't ever need to have any of it ever. Or if they do, there should be a key entirely private to the device's owner. These seem like simple matters to engineer.

9. Defthand macrumors 65816

Honestly, how necessary is this feature? How do people misplace their phones when they are virtually sewed to them.

10. ninjahaiku macrumors newbie

ninjahaiku

11. realtuner macrumors 65816

realtuner

Hardly. Do you think it's creepy that all your Internet traffic gets routed through numerous devices before you finally see it? Why aren't you screaming bloody murder about all the "men-in-the-middle" devices that are handling all your traffic for you?

So....you're just going to invent some scenario when you have no idea how it works yet? Figures.

12. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

What kind of battery drainage should we expect from a constant Bluetooth signal being emitted? Just curious.....

13. ASFx macrumors regular

Apple is doing something very similar to what Tile does. I think this is a great feature. I've already got a tile in my bags and wallet, etc. So now that the same features will be built right in, I won't have to carry around my Tiles anymore

14. Awsaim macrumors member

15. ASFx macrumors regular

Bluetooth is an extremely low power tech. if it's anything like the power consumption used on the Tile devices, it will be completely unnoticeable. Tiles run on a single small battery for over a year.

16. mrcrlee macrumors regular

This is great. Should help me find my AirPods when they are left somewhere (in my house) after I drink a few too many beers.

17. realtuner macrumors 65816

realtuner

Bluetooth beacons (Apple specifically called it a beacon) use next to nothing for power. Your battery will drain faster from your device being in standby than it will from a beacon.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 3, 2019 ---
    I’m thinking that a device that’s in Airplane mode (either by accident or intentionally done by a thief) can still send out a beacon and allow you to locate it.

18. joss.b macrumors newbie

Definitely two thumbs up for this new feature. I just wonder: will it only work during regular sleep, or during hibernation too? Because I always go into hibernation, FileVault locked, so that would be a bummer, if it only worked with regular sleep.

19. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Maybe not so much about law enforcement because you can 100% expect them having all of your data by the time you are arrested anyway. But creepy indeed. Reminds me that Apple has remote assistant software built into iOS that can at least view your screen.

In 2019, turning off a device is literally IMPOSSIBLE.

20. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

21. Ghost31 macrumors 68030

Ghost31

Phones? What about when they get stolen out of gym lockers. What about when an iPad was stolen out of my car when it was broken into? What about those with Mac laptops when their house gets broken into?

Really? This is the prime example of consumers having no vision unless theyre told explicitly what something is good for

22. Bamff, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  23. phalseHUD macrumors regular

phalseHUD

I'd like to see a find friends integration with Siri/Maps... For instance, the ability to ask for directions to 'Clarrrisa', or whatever your friend might be called. Would make picking someone up a bit easier in a strange place

24. Focusx0131 macrumors member

Focusx0131

Since the majority of these devices are BT 5.0 LE, not very much. They updated iOS years ago to keep BT on even when you flip it off through control center because it needs to be on to be connected to your Apple Watch or AirPods anyway.