Apple's New iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by musicmad2000, Mar 18, 2013.

1. musicmad2000 macrumors member

Hi

just wondering what anybody's take is on the release of Apples new iMac ? I myself am not overly keen on the new back design, as i thought the earlier model looked and felt more solid. Also having to connect an external optical drive via USB to run all software and DVDs gives a sense of disconnection.

2. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

The new design is almost identical to the design from four years ago, just the edge/back is a little bit thinner, nothing drastic, it is a very beautiful design in my opinion and in many other people's opinions, what Apple is famous for, and what Jony Ive is famous for.

The SuperDrive/external CD drive is probably the best option for the future, because over the next 10 or so years CDs will become a thing of the past, once download speeds are quick enough then everything will be done over the internet/cloud (or so the tech companies keep telling us.)

Apple will not re-introduce the SuperDrive, that's just a plain stupid move for them, if you don't like the design, take a look at a PC...? :eek: :apple: :apple: :apple:

3. davemc67 macrumors newbie

I use a Samsung SE-506AB External USB 2.0 Slimline 6x Blue-ray Writer and 8X DVD writer with my new iMac

It allows me to backup data to blu-ray ( handy when my aperture library is in excess of 240gb) and play DVDs .. Not decided yet on which blu-ray playing software yet

4. marc11 macrumors 68000

2011 models show up as refurbs very often if you really want those features. But then you loose out on USB 3, lower glared screen and more memory standard.

5. thedeske macrumors 6502a

The new thin edge didn't blow my skirt up, but the long overdue USB 3 with UASP and 1600 mhz memory did. The screen is a nice evolution. Finally, a good compromise of glass and coating that suits the needs of most photographers. Not perfect, but hard to beat in the all-in-one platform. Yet to be proven is their supposed calibration process and how accurate it really is. A few early reviews say it's quite good for a factory monitor.

Now that you can actually get one in a reasonable time, it should prove to be a hit.

6. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I really like the sleek new design and the overall performance. And I don't I miss the seldom used ODD. I buy all my software and entertainment media as digital downloads, its been about 4-5 years since I last bought physical media. Any legacy software I still use is ripped to network storage as disk images. Makes reloads super fast.

7. Raima macrumors 6502

If it's ok to offer you some advice, if it's your money, don't worry about what other people think about the iMac. If you like it, get it, if you don't, then don't or find something else that best suits you.

8. musicmad2000 thread starter macrumors member

I think Apple have got their marketing strategy all wrong. With the 21 inch model its not even possible to upgrade RAM meaning you have to buy the 27 inch to upgrade. Also both models come without an internal optical drive meaning again at more expense! you have to purchase a separate external optical drive, NOT a good move for Apple.

9. kuhtang macrumors regular

Wouldn't this be a GOOD move for Apple? It means that people would really have to consider paying more for those things, and after all they are a business.

Not saying that it wouldn't burn my buns to have to pay for those things though.

10. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

Agreed that having to decide your memory requirements at purchase for the 21" is a mistake, however most will just go with the standard amount and be blissfully happy.
    The drive is a good move imo as personally I use mine about 3 times a year if that. Reducing the form factor by getting rid of the gramaphone player makes the iMac sleeker and more sexy.
    In 5 years everyone would have forgotten about CD/DVD's and those that do remember will reminsice on them as people did on the 8 Tracks when they went the way of the dinosaur.

11. musicmad2000 thread starter macrumors member

Not being keen on the new iMac how would i go about purchasing the previous model NEW! Now that all the stores are stocked with the latest iMac ?

12. madsci954 macrumors 68030

There may be a few that resellers have in stock. If not there, refurbs from Apple, they won't be new but they will have warranty coverage.

13. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

IMO, it's a brilliant move. Less moving parts inside = less chance of a necessary repair internally. The ODDs tend to 'break' quicker than a CPU/GPU/RAM, et al. Externals can easily be replaced...and you can grab one these days for < $30. As far as RAM is concerned, 8GB is plenty these days---if you're concerned about future needs, go ahead and bump to 16GB. I bought the 27" yesterday and am planning to put 32GB in when my next checks come thru...After Effects eats RAM as do a couple of my audio plug-ins. It's an amazing computer. I've got a pair of 21.5" 2011 iMacs...as well as a pair of 2010 21"ers. We use them as our primary 'field' computers for music/video...our laptops control the lighting. My new 27" will be the new office computer---and with USB3/TB, the internal storage is no longer a huge deal. I bought the 1TB fusion drive.

Easy. www.apple.com. Click iMac and in the lower left corner you'll see shop refurbished models. Excellent deals to boot. Keep in mind though--since 2010, Apple has put proprietary heat sensors on their HDDs, so it's a PITA to change them out. Doable...just a pain.

J

14. Andrew*Debbie macrumors member

I remember similar complaints when Apple discontinued internal floppy drives.

Leaving out the optical drive is forward looking. Leaving it out reduces the cost and price of the computer. It will be a little while longer before the rest of the market and infrastructure catches up. Adobe just started offering CS6 as a download. It won't be that long before DVDs for software install are a distant memory.

Everyone I know uses pen drives or drop box to move files around. No one around here burns DVDs anymore.

In the meantime we've got an external super drive.

15. Malacoda macrumors member

I sure this is one of those things were a chunk of people are going to get worked up over, while another simply shrugs. While I do believe a Superdrive is currently more useful than a floppy drive when Apple killed those, it's still comparable; old tech that fewer and fewer people have a need for in their home computer.

I just bought a new 27" iMac, and traded my old 24" iMac for a new Mac Mini (straight trade, old for new!), neither of which have an optical drive. My MacBook Pro does, and so I can use that if necessary, but down the road, my next laptop won't have one either, and I doubt I will need to buy an external. The only thing I have used an optical drive for in the last few years is making mixed music CDs for others, which is cool and all, but not a major function.

16. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

the new imacs run alot cooler then the old imacs. the difference is night and day. you can touch a new imac everywhere and it is cool to the touch even after benchmarks. also the new imacs have a bonded screen to the glass which reduces reflection and also stops from the common problem of dust dirt smears from getting under the glass.

I dont think buying an older imac over a new one is a good move if the money isnt the issue but its your choice so good luck.

17. ToomeyND macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting. That 2002 iMac was something special. It was a radical design that had elegance and simplicity. I do, however, feel that was the beginning of making the mac an appliance, as it pretty much looks like a lamp. :eek:

[​IMG]

I'd still buy the 2002 iMac today if it had modern guts.

18. printz macrumors regular

The G4 iMac looks ridiculous, almost like the ET the Extraterrestrial; I'm glad they continued with the normal monitor-like modern one.

19. jDW194 macrumors member

You could try 'Ye Olde nostalgia shoppe" where every thing you buy was once better than what you can buy today. Also, I am led to believe that out the back they have a speak easy where you can openly discuss your suspicions and distrust of electricty , wireless radiograms and horseless carriages!

20. Eduardot macrumors member

NO CD on new iMac

I have the iMac 2011 i5, it does come with a cd in the seven months that i've had it, maybe i have burned or used a cd or dvd at the most 5 times. today with usb sticks and usb and firewire and thunderbolt drives, cds are a thing of the past.............

21. Byrnes3969 macrumors member

I hate it

I for one still use DVD's.

Red Box rents Blu Rays for $2 a night which is alot less than buying them or streaming them.

I also edit video and create movies and my customers still want DVD's. I cant understand why anyone would defend Apple's decision to eliminate Optical Drives - especially not putting in slot loading blu-ray burner which can record up to 50 GB of Data in a cheap, re-usable, safe and long lasting format because "someday" they'll be poo poo'd by the hip connected crowd.

Only Apple gets away with design trumping features and owner inaccessibility is the goal.

They'll have to pry my 2010 Mac Mini from my cold dead hands! :0

22. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Wait is this 1998?

Just replace DVD with Floppy and the same argument was said back when the original iMac came out.

No internal DVD is the best move IMO, it's one less thing to go wrong and if you need one then get just about any external DVD or BR.

As for the design my 27" looks great, this is my first ever iMac always run towers before but I see no value in the extra cost of the MacPro for what I need.

My only complaint is the USB connections. I don't know if it's my leads but they seen to come out too easily which is a problem as I keep getting warnings I've not ejected HDDs properly. I've tried connecting direct to the iMac and through Hub's (both USB2 & 3) and most of the time it's okay but sometimes at waking up some drives are no longer mounted. Now most of the time they come right back up but sometimes I have to unplug them.

23. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

Which, in the case of the 21.5 inch, is not upgradeable, unless you're prepared to do some serious DIY on your Mac...

24. Brian Y macrumors 68040

99.9% of people who buy the 21.5" iMac will not care that they can't upgrade. The same as 99.9999% of people didn't care about or ever use a VESA mount on the 27 (although I'm in the 0.000001% there).