Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced ultra thin iPad Pro models, which are the thinnest iPad models to date. In fact, Apple is using the tagline "thinpossible" to describe the new tablets, and with that reduction in thickness, there's also been a reduction in weight.

ipad-pro-thin-light.jpg

Both iPad Pro models are lighter than the iPad Air models, despite the iPad Air models having the "Air" name that has historically been used to denote a light weight and a thin design when compared to Pro devices.
  • 13-inch iPad Pro - 1.28 pounds (579 grams)
  • 13-inch iPad Air - 1.36 pounds (617 grams)
  • 11-inch iPad Pro - 0.98 pounds (444 grams)
  • 11-inch iPad Air - 1.02 pounds (462 grams)
The 11-inch iPad Pro is 5.3mm thick, while the 13-inch iPad Pro is 5.1mm thick, which Apple pointed out is thinner than the iPod nano. Both iPad Air models are 6.1mm thick, comparatively, and they have noticeably thicker bezels.

iPad Air pricing starts at $599, while iPad Pro pricing starts at $999.

Article Link: Apple's New iPad Pro Models Weigh Less Than iPad Air Models

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Monkey

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Yes, I was wondering if the new iPad Pro models would weigh less than the new iPad Air models. Old technology must weigh more (screens, etc).

Reactions: GregoriusM

Fiona FTW

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2022
OLED, lighter and thinner, M4. This was enough to finally want to let go of my 2018 iPad Pro. Also glad that the Pencil 2 is compatible. Really don't need to buy another Pencil yet. I still do not get why cellular is such an expensive option in 2024. That bit stung, I will admit. But I need it when I go overseas as my cell carrier's international data options are not great.

suchnerve

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
USA
Plus it looks like they removed millimeter wave 5G from the USA versions of the cellular iPad Pro models. 😒

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Wasn't everybody saying there would be something AI related with the iPad? crickets from apple. Also, art now costs a thousand dollars if you want to do it professionally. Thats pretty cheap for a pro but pretty steep for a hobbyist, unless you only plan on owning one apple device to do everything for you. The iPad is a jack of all trades but only masters one.

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
I'm happy with the lighter weight, as I have a Pitaka case on my current 11" Pro, and that already makes it heavier (but has saved me many times on drops / falls).

However, I'm disappointed that the new iPad Pro no longer supports the Smart Keyboard Folio. On the one hand, Apple is saying, the new iPad Pro is lighter / thinner. On the other hand, they are forcing us to use the Magic Keyboard, which is bulkier and more expensive than the Smart Keyboard Folio.

suchnerve

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
USA
No big loss. mmWave 5G was overhyped. Unless you are standing underneath a signal repeater outside, you don’t really get any reception.
Wrong. I regularly get mmWave reception indoors, with the transmitter a block away and around the corner.

Reactions: decypher44

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
One issue I have is the new iPad Pro no longer supports the smart keyboard folio, and the Magic Keyboard is really expensive!
Yeah, I noticed they dropped the folio model for the new iPad Pro. However, my only reason for considering it was because of the weight. They claim they've dropped the weight in the new Magic Keyboard so hopefully it should be a happy medium in terms of weight.

Reactions: julesme

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
The reported weights are all correct. But the differences aren’t that great - a bit over a 10th of a pound in the case of the 13s and 4/100ths of a pound in the case of the 11s. Is that really noticeable?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Cool they are so thin but I'd still prefer a bigger battery over a thinner iPad.

Weight matters more on an iPad than arguably any other device since you're holding it for extensive periods while in use. I definitely feel the weight in my iPad Pro 12.9 (6th gen) and would appreciate the new 100g weight difference.

Battery life is already industry leading on all iPads, and particularly on the new M4 that is 4X more battery efficient in routine tasks than its predecessor.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
For me, the iPad Pro price range is now out of what I could consider. While it was expensive before (at the configuration levels I chose) it is now priced as the amount that I would purchase a full Mac laptop, I don't feel I could justify this. :(

Well, at least my iPad Pro is still good and would only at some point need a new battery.

Reactions: decypher44
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.