Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
There have been a lot of reports about how hot the bottoms of Apple's new MacBook Pro laptops get, but apparently the high temperature isn't the problem -- rather that the laptops aren't actually supposed to be used on your lap. The computer's manual warns that "prolonged contact with your body could cause discomfort and potentially a burn", saying the machines should instead be used on a desk or flat surface. A computer to be used on a desk -- wouldn't that make it, um, a desktop?

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20060519/1337223.shtml
Interesting article

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Yes. This distinction over laptop vs notebook is ludicrous. Its just apple covering their butts over burnt leg lawsuits. Ofcourse its a laptop and should be used on the lap. The whole thing is a farce.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
EricNau said:
This is true with virtually all "laptops."

I dunno man, my Centrino Viao runs pretty damn cool that I can hav it on my lap for long times and it feels just fine. I dont own a MBP or a MB to tell you how much hotter they are verse my vaio but thought it was interesting on what Apple was claiming

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
^^^Exactly my point. "Ohhh let me put a scalding hot cup of coffee between my legs and take the top off of it!"

In the words on the Guinness commercial, "Brilliant!"

In other news crossing the street without looking both ways can be dangerous to your health, hot chocolate can cause burns, and water can get you wet!:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.