Apple's New Low-Cost 10.2-Inch iPad Starts Shipping to Customers Tomorrow, In-Store Availability Coming Later This Week

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside new iPhones, Apple at its September event also unveiled a new 10.2-inch iPad, which became available for pre-order on September 10 and is set to start shipping out tomorrow.

The updated iPad, which continues to be Apple's most affordable at $329, is similar to the sixth-generation iPad but comes equipped with a larger 10.2-inch screen, an upgrade over the previous model.

It features the same A10 Fusion chip that was used in the sixth-generation, along with Apple Pencil support, but new this year is a Smart Connector that allows it to work with a Smart Keyboard, which is sold separately for $159.

The new iPad continues to feature a 7-megapixel rear camera, a one-pound body, Touch ID, and thicker bezels than some of Apple's other more expensive iPads, but it's price can't be beat.

Apple today released iPadOS, which is the version of iOS 13 that runs on the iPad. New iPad models will come equipped with iPadOS, which includes improved multitasking features, a redesigned Home screen, Apple Pencil improvements, Apple Arcade, Dark Mode, and tons more.

The new iPad begins shipping out to customers on Wednesday, September 25, and Apple says it will be in stores later this week with launch dates in retail locations varying by country and region.

Apple originally said the new iPad would be in stores on September 30, so it appears to be rolling out a bit earlier now that iPadOS has had an early release.

Pricing on the seventh-generation iPad starts at $329 for 32GB of storage, with 128GB of storage available as well as LTE options. Pricing for schools and educational customers is even lower, starting at $299.

Customers who purchase an iPad will get a free year of Apple TV+ when Apple TV+ comes out this November.

Article Link: Apple's New Low-Cost 10.2-Inch iPad Starts Shipping to Customers Tomorrow, In-Store Availability Coming Later This Week

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Odd. I ordered one of these iPads for my mom on Sept 14, was given a delivery date of Oct 15. I checked it a few days later and the date became Oct 8. Checked status on Sept 21 and said it was Preparing for Shipment. Yesterday, I got an email saying it shipped and I have a tracking number. Tracking number says it will be delivered tomorrow.

Reactions: Bawstun

Return Zero

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
There were rumors floating around that the A10 in these new iPads had been tweaked to run a bit faster than the 6th-gen iPad A10s (whether through better thermal management or otherwise). Was this ever confirmed/denied?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The fact that this includes touch ID is a selling point for me, still very reliable for security and ease-of-use, and as Dan Riccio said, touch ID has a future in Apple products.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

Sasparilla

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2012
I was disappointing about the processor as well, I figured A11 at a minimum. But the price is great. The Air or Pro for those of us that are watching the CPU versions.

Wish they’d put out a cheap (relatively) iPhone with Touch ID like this. Might as well throw in a headphone jack as well.
Isn't that a iPhone 8 or 8 Plus? You get a slightly newer faster processor but it meets the other requirements I believe.

Reactions: MauiPa and Sebosz

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68020
Feb 11, 2007
I really wish they would’ve bumped the processor this time around. I’d love the slightly larger screen but I can’t justify upgrading from my 6th gen to this one just for that.
And it’s likely going to be slower than your current model because of the higher resolution required. Unless they bumped up the graphics?

Reactions: Caliber26

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I really wish they would’ve bumped the processor this time around. I’d love the slightly larger screen but I can’t justify upgrading from my 6th gen to this one just for that.
I’m happy they didn’t for selfish reasons. This means my 6th gen should chug through new updates as well as the 7th. Puts more pressure on Apple to spend time optimizing the A10.
- - Post merged: - -

Sorry to hear that. You should consider buying a proper TV...
I wouldn’t call it my primary, but I use my iPad as a TV more than anything. Great TV when eating at a table.

reallynotnick

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
There were rumors floating around that the A10 in these new iPads had been tweaked to run a bit faster than the 6th-gen iPad A10s (whether through better thermal management or otherwise). Was this ever confirmed/denied?
I think the only thing that has been confirmed is it is 3GB of RAM instead of 2GB, other than that I believe it is the same speed.

Reactions: Return Zero

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Scarsdale, NY
This seems like a great iPad, but I feel like they were being a little cheap on the processor. They could’ve used the A11 chip and it still would’ve been 2 generations behind the pro one coming out later.

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
These new iPads are going to sell amazingly well. At that price point you can’t go wrong.
No anti-reflective coating is a dealbreaker to me. My iPad Air 2 has it and it makes a big difference when outside or in otherwise bright environments.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlayUltimate

Zdigital2015

macrumors 68020
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
I think pencil support, better processor, slightly bigger screen and a fresh battery, I can deal without the laminated display and finally replace my iPad Air 2. I just don’t use the iPad enough to justify spending anymore than this so it’s perfect for me.
I have a 5th Generation iPad and the 1st Generation iPad Air and the difference between the two screens is quite noticeable. While I know the iPad Air screen has aged, it has never been as vibrant or as bright, and it also seems to be just a touch further away from the glass than the 5th Generation's screen. While not as immersive as the iPad Air's laminated screen, the 5th Generation is good enough that I don't notice or lament it's screen in the way I do when I use my iPad Air (beta testing, Music, recipe display, et al).

The 5th Generation for me is a solid performer still, although a tad slower on a few things. I hope the 7th Gen iPad exceeds your expectations. Good luck!

Reactions: Spock

hybrid_x

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2004
Teh Interwebz
Does it infuriate anyone else that they continue to have TWO generations of Apple Pencil? Would it have killed them to put the inductive charging into the new low-cost iPad?

Reactions: PlayUltimate

Zdigital2015

macrumors 68020
Jul 14, 2015
Sorry to hear that. You should consider buying a proper TV...
Define a "proper" TV...between this and a "proper" computer when referring to the iPad or a "proper" camera when referring to the iPhone Pro, I hear a lot of self-appointed gatekeepers who need to stretch outside their comfort zone and realize that that sort of nomenclature means absolutely nothing in this day and age. It does however keep the salespeople at the Best Buy or Dixon's employed and off the streets, so there's that, I guess.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 68020
Jul 14, 2015
Apple isn't trying to appeal to you as much as they are consumers still holding on to their iPad 2,3,4 and original Air, who aren't keen to spend another $500 on the 3rd Gen iPad Air and don't see enough difference in the 5th and 6th Gen iPads to justify buying one for their purposes. However, the incremental increase in screen size closer to the 2019 Air while retaining the same price point as the "old" iPad, I can see quite a few folks finally letting their old beasts go for the new shiny.

This iPad is going to be a hot seller through the holiday season.