Apple's new policy about Hard Disks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sioannou, May 15, 2011.

1. sioannou macrumors member

sioannou

Ok, I am confused and I need some lights :D I was reading in the iMac's forums about the new policy of Apple to limit the expandability of their products by preventing user from installing 3rd party HDDS to their computers.

So my questions are :
    1. Do you think it's possible to see this in MBP line too?

2. If this happens it will be impossible to replace the current HDD with an SSD from third party?

Thanks,

Sotiris

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. borisiii macrumors 6502

I think, for better or for worse, the trend will spread to their other products, including the pro. After all the MBA storage isn't really meant to be upgradeable. The upside to this is that we could easily see blade SSDs make their way into the pro line, perhaps alongside regular hard drives, as is made possible with Intel's latest chipset.

4. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

No point speculating. You can change the RAM and HDD on your current mbp, enjoy what you have currently. As for future models, if Apple lock it Down it will depend on how much upgrading the SSD and RAM are important to you, let your wallet vote. 2 years ago Apple had me cause vista was crap, times have changed now, if windows 8 follows windows 7 then locking down their hardware would result in me buying something other then a mbp, and if I really wanted to run os x I would hackingtosh it. I already refuse to buy a mac pro due to the really bad value compared to building a hackintosh. Right now I am going to upgrade my 17 mbp with a 2011 model as it fits my needs and upgrade to a SSD and HDD in the dvddrive bay, this will see me through the next 2-3 years.

5. aicul macrumors 6502a

I think the policy is to have a better management of hard disks by including some form of temperature control.

The side effect is that personal hard disk change is close to impossible.

lets not confuse the two....

6. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

There is also a side effect of suddenly making more $$$$$ when you control and sell the products.

HDDs are slowly going to fade, SSDs will replace them in more and more apple products, with heat not being an issue.

This just smells of control and the benefit of extra $$$$$. Apple HDD have to be the most expansive on the planet.

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

People haven't been having any issues putting in SSDs, however – so your point is moot, MH01.

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Actually the only policy that matters is apples stance on user replaced HDD . As long as it does not void the warranty then it matters little.

9. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Lots of MISINFORMATION floating around these days.

All it takes is for on person to post up an opinion, and within hours if not minutes it is 100% FACT!!!

LOL

10. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

LOL macfacts.com

11. sioannou thread starter macrumors member

sioannou

I don't think this has to do with any kind of misinformation. This is already a fact in iMac series, and from what people saying possibly it's coming onto mbps also.

12. aicul macrumors 6502a

whatever the choice of apple, they are there also to make a profit.

if their policy is to cause expenses - which i dont think personally - then it is their choice

frankly if someone has more than 1tb of data he should be thinking of other storage solutions than tweaking his internal mac drive

13. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Just saying there is more to the story then what is being bantered about.

IMHO when only half the information is presented it leads to misinformation being created and passed on.

I know that I read something more to it in a thread on here, but since it's not all that relevant to me and many many others I did not bookmark or save it.