Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released new Pride Edition versions of the Braided Solo Loop and Nike Sport Loop for the Apple Watch, while a matching Pride Woven watch face will be available in a future software update (likely watchOS 7.5, which is currently in beta).

pride-band-app-clip.jpeg

One interesting tidbit shared in the announcement is that, for the first time, Apple will be including a scannable App Clip code on the packaging of each new Pride band, providing a convenient way for customers to immediately access the new Pride Woven watch face when available. (App Clip codes require an iPhone running iOS 14.3 or later.)

Introduced in iOS 14, an App Clip is a small part of an app that's discoverable at the moment it's needed, even if the app is not installed.

Priced at $99, the Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop weaves together the original rainbow colors with those drawn from various Pride flags, according to Apple. Or, for $49, the Pride Edition Nike Sport Loop features a nylon weave with reflective rainbow yarn inspired by the Pride flag, which Apple says is designed to shimmer when light strikes it.

The Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop is compatible with the Apple Watch Series 4 or later, while the Pride Edition Nike Sport Loop is compatible with Apple Watch Series 3 or later. The new Pride bands are available to order today from Apple.com and the Apple Store app, and will be available at Apple Store locations beginning May 25.

Article Link: Apple's New Pride Bands Include App Clip on Packaging for Quick Access to Matching Watch Face

Wolframite

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2021
Has anyone used a silicone solo loop for their watch and gotten a rash?

Has anyone had better luck with the braided loops, like this one?

subjonas

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2014
I’ve been very looking forward to using app clips, especially with ordering from restaurants, but I have yet to see them in the wild. I hope they catch on. It would be such a convenience to not have to download a million restaurant (and other) apps, yet be able to use Apple Pay and stay anonymous, and not have to use third (fourth?) party ordering apps like Uber eats that take a cut from the restaurant per order even for pick up (if I have to use third party I like to use ChowNow since they don’t take a cut per order which is much better for restaurants).

tb2me

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2005
I really hope they use this tech to allow you to get the Nike and Hermès faces by buying the bands. It’s so dumb to hardware lock them to identical hardware with different firmware. If I’m willing to pay $400 for an Hermès band I should be able to use the dang matching face.

FreakyT

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
Interesting that App Clips can evidently be used to install watch faces, indicating that the necessary frameworks exist for watch face installation without updating the OS. Would be interesting if someone could figure out a hack to install arbitrary watch faces via a modified App Clip.

Nick.haley

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
London
I really hope they use this tech to allow you to get the Nike and Hermès faces by buying the bands. It’s so dumb to hardware lock them to identical hardware with different firmware. If I’m willing to pay $400 for an Hermès band I should be able to use the dang matching face.
i guess if they do that they'd need to be a 'unique' scannable face, otherwise you could also go and share that.

Reactions: Websnapx2

bigheaddoug

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2020
Especially now that Apple watches have an always on display, I think the ability to match watch bands to watch face designs is kind of cool.

Reactions: Robert.Walter

Wolframite

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2021
Love the braided loop to be fair, most comfortable yet, wear it 24/7 apart from when charging, no issues yet
Thank you for your reply!
I decided to book an appointment to go try one of the braided loops!
I usually don't get rashes from anything, but the standard silicone loop did leave a bad rash.

Thanks, again! 'u'

Reactions: Robert.Walter

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2012
If they did that, folks would be posting the clip code on the net. A better solution would be to embed an RF chip in the physical product.

Reactions: Wolframite

hop

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Aside from liking the aesthetics of a lot of these over the years, one of the core reasons I wear them by default is because one of the many annoying things about not being straight is having new people you meet assume you are, and then eventually they'll say something and you'll have to correct them and actively out yourself and it's just annoying and awkward. On top of that, as much as I really wish gaydar was a reliable thing for all of us, it actually isn't. For all this and more, yes, it actually is really damn useful to have a watch band that essentially solves/mitigates many of these issues by allowing me to passively indicate to a lot of people that assuming I'm straight and/or cis is probably not a great plan.

When you're mostly the default in society (straight, cis, non-disabled etc.) you don't have to deal with the discrimination, threats, or violence, or growing up having to deal with a whole lot of stuff most kids don't have to deal with around this, being made fun of by people around you, ending up deep in denial, feeling extra isolated and alone, often with long-lasting crappy mental health to show for it. You don't only see a very limited number of people who happen to be like you in the overwhelming majority of stories that you read/watch, people around you, as well as various well known people in different fields (especially still sports). There's no "straight + cis" watch band because when you're the default, you don't need one.

So yeah, I'm not surprised a lot of people don't really see the value of LGBTQ people actively being proud rather than ashamed of who we are, and of why actively, visibly saying "I'm here, and yeah, pretty queer, thanks", or even just passively saying it via a watch band, might be worth it to some of us for the benefit of both ourselves, and others.

subjonas

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2014
I believe Yelp has it?
Thanks. I guess that’s good but I already have the main Yelp app and an account so that doesn’t really help me lol. I was more hoping individual vendors (especially restaurants) would use these app clips instead of making me download their individual apps and create individual accounts. It would also force them to accept Apple Pay.

Reactions: matrix07

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Interesting that App Clips can evidently be used to install watch faces, indicating that the necessary frameworks exist for watch face installation without updating the OS. Would be interesting if someone could figure out a hack to install arbitrary watch faces via a modified App Clip.
It appears it doesn't let you install it, you do that via the OS update, and then the app clip simply locates it for you so you can add it to your faces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.