Apples new quad core mobile's using the fastest processors. In the world.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Some Guy 555, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

Today was indeed a surprise when Apple announced their new lineup for the macbook pro family, in particular for the first time introducing quad core processors.

Many were skeptical and didn't think much of it at first but further analysis reveals that these new Sandy Bridge quad core mobile cpu's are the fastest mobile processors in the world today. This, to much surprise, makes Apples new macbook pro not only the fastest Apple mobile, but the fastest laptop anywhere (PC included) which is astonishing.

Where am I basing this off of? Benchmarking sites. Tons of data.

In particular:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-2720QM+@+2.20GHz

The above is a link to a list of the worlds fastest processors, desktop and mobile processors included. Its surprising to see that the mobile chip is #17 on the list, behind only the ultra high end desktop processors and Xeon server chips. So what? Well previously, Apple typically used chips that would rank in the top 1000. This is the top 20.

Not sure about anyone else, but I'm REALLY impressed with apple.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You seem to be forgetting all the fun chips Intell has in their labs. The Apple CPUs are only the fastest consumer chips in the world.

3. Some Guy 555 thread starter macrumors regular

Never mentioned anything about those did I? The consumer chips are what most care about, the ones where the sole purpose is testing/benchmarking are never used for practical purpose. The ones that are end up in machines running highly modified Linux distros for high performance computing such as the CRAY Jaguar.