Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe The Dragon

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2006
I expect an :apple: TV service launched next year, similar to :apple: Music. Now, if they can bundle in iTunes movies, shows, and original content for lets say $40 a month, I think they have a good product.
rights issues will make it hard for that to be world wide

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I expect an :apple: TV service launched next year, similar to :apple: Music. Now, if they can bundle in iTunes movies, shows, and original content for lets say $40 a month, I think they have a good product.
Meaning being able to stream on demand every movie and TV show available for purchase on iTunes? Doubtful Apple could ever secure the rights to do that.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
rights issues will make it hard for that to be world wide

Yea for sure. I expect a slow roll out. They'll slowly chip away at different countries/market share and make it a long term success.
[doublepost=1522070831][/doublepost]
Meaning being able to stream on demand every movie and TV show available for purchase on iTunes? Doubtful Apple could ever secure the rights to do that.

Yea I think that part is a tall order for sure, but I think it would be a major differentiation from other streaming services. Apple would need to take a very studio friendly deal to get it going, but probably worth it in the long run.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I'm tired that Netflix and others keep adding violence and sex just for the heck of it to everything they release.

Well, they're releasing kids stuff as well...

The sex & violence stuff, well that's partly the "Game of Thrones" bandwagon effect and a previously unfilled market niche for "adult" SF and fantasy created by mainstream Hollywood's abhorrence of R-rated movies. The books that shows like Altered Carbon and American Gods are based on are definitely not for the faint-hearted, so that's just Netflix/Amazon being more faithful to the book than traditional Hollywood might have been.

The only ones that annoyed me slightly w.r.t. violence were Daredevil/Iron Fist which fell into an awkward gap between comic-book violence and realistic violence - with the heroes proudly asserting their anti-killing credentials while handing out graphically-portrayed cans of bloody whoopass that would have surely left a fair proportion the recipients on life support. C.f. Jessica Jones where the protagonist's failure to avoid a body count is central to the plot.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
:apple:TV, :apple:Car, :apple:Music, :apple:Maps, :apple:Health, :apple:Siri and :apple:Edu
mostly mediocre also-rans

Last edited:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
:apple:TV, :apple:Car, :apple:Music, :apple:Maps, :apple:Health, :apple:Sleep and :apple:Edu

I don't know, I am very happy with Apple services. Apple Music has been better for me than Spotify. I don't expect them to beat out Netflix, but potentially in the long run. Apple Maps has also been great for me. iCloud hasn't failed me ever either. I guess I am just lucky.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Why don’t they just buy Disney and be done with it. That would give them all the content and channels they need.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yea for sure. I expect a slow roll out. They'll slowly chip away at different countries/market share and make it a long term success.
[doublepost=1522070831][/doublepost]

Yea I think that part is a tall order for sure, but I think it would be a major differentiation from other streaming services. Apple would need to take a very studio friendly deal to get it going, but probably worth it in the long run.
If Apple was ever able to secure something like that Netflix would be finished. I can’t see the studios ever agreeing to it though.

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
If they added their new shows to Apple Music like they do with the car karaoke series, then more people will be likely to leave Spotify and join AM. At the moment they are both pretty much equal, same price same music ('same' is a slight variable here).

WWPD

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2015
Ten Forward
I can't wait for Game of Kittens from Apple studios!

2015-11-18.jpg

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
If Apple was ever able to secure something like that Netflix would be finished. I can’t see the studios ever agreeing to it though.

I think they may consider it actually. They are already exploring straight out of theater releases, subscription plans, etc. Ultimately, they know their current model can't be sustained forever. If Apple gives them more money in the deal, similar to Apple Music, then maybe it has a shot. I think this year could be a turning point in that direction. We'll see.

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
Apple playing catch up once again.

So true and the evidence to back that up is their low revenue and profits!
[doublepost=1522079450][/doublepost]
Are customers expected to rent or pay for yet another streaming service to be able to view this 'original content'?

Apple have lost their minds if they honestly think people are going to pay for another streaming service. Apple are far too late to the party. Again.

If good enough then why not? Streaming services are just beginning and the field of players is not fully developed yet. Lots of people still have cable/sat.

Neflix is the king but that has not stopped Hulu or Amazon. Disney is ramping up as well. Apple has mountains of cash, if anyone else can do it it would be them.
[doublepost=1522079739][/doublepost]
:apple:TV, :apple:Car, :apple:Music, :apple:Maps, :apple:Health, :apple:Siri and :apple:Edu

I could not disagree more. I use all of those but the Edu. I think TV, Car and Music are top notch. Maps is good enough (now) for me. I do not use public transit and Apple maps in the last year has not done me wrong. Health works really good especially with the watch and other 3rd party apps. I have not looked at another health app. My use of a digital assistant is very limited so Siri being not the best is still just fine for me.

Never under estimate the value of the ecosystem.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Apple playing catch up once again.

As an investor I am glad they are sticking to the tried and true formula of not rushing in until they are ready, and more importantly, the market is ready to produce profits for them. Just like the money that Amazon loses with each Echo, ditto Google, and now Apple is moving into the Smart speaker market in a way that will make big money on each Homepod they sell.

In contrast, the incredible amounts of money that have been lost in music and video streaming, watches, smart phones, you name it, has left the playing field littered with bodies of companies that have bled severely or are no longer in business, or at least that business.

Meanwhile, Apple has become the most profitable, most valuable company in the history of the world. My wallet thanks you Tim and company.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
But they are only planning on spending a billion dollars I read, a small drop in the ocean and way way way way behind Netflix and Amazon who are both pumping the original content levels to max now, and it shows especially with Netflix!
Apple is far too little too late for this party.

cajun67

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
I'll never watch it because I don't use Apple TV, and I'm not going to buy an Apple TV so that I can pay for an Apple TV content subscription to watch a single show.

Besides, the content currently available on premium services (HBO, Netflix, Starz, etc) is so fresh, edgy, and adult that I have trouble watching "family friendly" tv content; it just seems old and stale to me.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
This just seems like a silly move on Apple's part. All that cash earning low returns, and this is how they reinvest my money?

Baumi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
This is from a guy in his mid-20s with no kids, I welcome their kid friendly policy with open arms. I'm tired that Netflix and others keep adding violence and sex just for the heck of it to everything they release.

I would prefer having good parental controls, limiting both the time children spend watching TV and the content they're allowed to see.
[doublepost=1522097103][/doublepost]
They should just buy Netflix. For every one good show of original programming coming from Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix, there are 50 that suck.

That's how the entertainment business works: Throw lots of stuff against the wall, hope that enough sticks to turn a profit. Netflix' algorithms may have improved their odds, but they're not infallible.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
I would prefer having good parental controls, limiting both the time children spend watching TV and the content they're allowed to see.
Parental controls is a whole other subject. Kids will find sex and violence in other places online no matter what kind of restrictions you put in place and a good education is the only solution IMO.

I'm talking about putting some adult stuff in tv shows/movies that do not need it just because it sells. I'm not into content like Games of Thrones or Altered Carbon but I don't care, to each his own. Lengthy sex scenes in super hero tv shows on the other hand, that's just annoying.

Muzzakus

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
I don’t understand how limiting yourself to family friendly is a recipe for success. Shouldn’t they be aiming for diverse range of content to appeal to a broad audience? So this won’t be competing with Amazon or Netflix, it will be more like a Nickelodeon. Not interested.

Reactions: EvilEvil

EvilEvil

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
New York City
As an investor I am glad they are sticking to the tried and true formula of not rushing in until they are ready, and more importantly, the market is ready to produce profits for them. Just like the money that Amazon loses with each Echo, ditto Google, and now Apple is moving into the Smart speaker market in a way that will make big money on each Homepod they sell.

In contrast, the incredible amounts of money that have been lost in music and video streaming, watches, smart phones, you name it, has left the playing field littered with bodies of companies that have bled severely or are no longer in business, or at least that business.

Meanwhile, Apple has become the most profitable, most valuable company in the history of the world. My wallet thanks you Tim and company.

No one is buying the Homepod.

Netflix and Hulu say hi.

Apple has seriously stagnated in the area of innovation in their products. Their software also continues to be terrible. As the old saying goes, the bigger they get, the harder they fall.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
No one is buying the Homepod.

Netflix and Hulu say hi.

Apple has seriously stagnated in the area of innovation in their products. Their software also continues to be terrible. As the old saying goes, the bigger they get, the harder they fall.

You've been telling everyone Apple is doomed for a long time now. It's great that you keep picking yourself up off the floor and coming back for more, but for the rest of us, it's painful to watch. Spare yourself the pain and pick an easier target, say Netflix for example. While Apple's cash alone is heading toward $300 billion dollars, Netflix is hemorrhaging money and just hit 21 BILLION dollars in debt. Ouch!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.