APPLE's NEW VIBRATOR - iVIBE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pr0230, Sep 21, 2016.

1. pr0230, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016

pr0230 Suspended

So I'm curious to know if I have my facts correct... Apple eliminated the 3.5 mm head phone jack, BECAUSE per Tim Cook, it took up too much real estate. Cant remember the video I heard it on, but its what he said...
    BTW this is not a headphone jack thread, just stating facts...

And then they added the "Taptic Engine" , this is a sizable piece of hardware that does not take a microscope to see... And probably takes up more real estate that the Jack...

And I believe they ADDED the Taptic Engine, because the New Home Button, does NOT click like the OLD one... So they needed to create a Rube Goldberg device to make the New phone feel like the OLD phone...

Am I correct? Is that what apple did?
    Has anyone figured out what else to use the iVIBE for?

2. bsmith4832 macrumors regular

Are you asking what else they're using the Taptic Engine for?

Because the Taptic Engine was in the 6S phones as well. The reason for ditching the headphone jack in the 7 included multiple different benefits - not just for the inclusion of the Taptic Engine. Not to mention, the Taptic Engine is much more efficient over the other vibrating technology and can provide feedback lasting only 10 milliseconds. Which explains how 3D Touch can be more "distinct" and immersive, compared to a regular tap with the older technology.

3. pr0230 thread starter Suspended

I did not know the TP engine was in the 6s... Thank you for clearing that up...

4. now i see it macrumors 65816

There's a lot of reasons why they got rid of the 3.5 mm jack and the OP mentioned some of them. Apple (or Sir Jony) may have a vision at to what the future future future iPhone could be like, and that future they're aiming towards could be a completely wireless device with no mechanical buttons. Who knows.

So if that's the case, the ip7 is but one baby step in that direction.

The iPhone 20 years from now will be a very very different device.