Apple's not finished...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joeshell383, Jun 10, 2008.

1. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Apple left plenty of room at the top (of the price line) for a model or version(s) with:

32-64 GB of storage
    3.2-5 MP Rear-facing camera
    Front-facing camera
    Potential for other colors and materials
    Video and/or audio recorder preinstalled
    MMS and/or iChat AV preinstalled

I don't think it will be a full redesign cycle before we see these enhancements. I think a higher end model of the iPhone 3G will debut before or during Late 2008/Early 2009.

I also believe a Product RED iPhone is in the pipeline.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Are you mad? A bunch of us are on here complaining about everything costing MORE over the 2-year contract and you think the big in is more expensive?

Most cellphones sold are the el cheapos. Crank out what is essentially an iPod Touch that makes calls with data available only via WiFi. Most people don't want to pay SEVENTY DOLLARS A MONTH for a phone, smart or not. I feel stretched at my $60 (which ends up at $65).

3. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

It's a subsidy, that's why it's cheaper. You HAVE to get a data plan and activate upon buying. Apple didn't set the prices.

4. joeshell383 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I realize that it is less expensive because the background agreements between Apple and the carriers (revenue sharing v. subsidy) have changed, but my point is that there are still people who will pay $400-$700 out of pocket, in addition to signing a 2 year contract, for an iPhone. Millions did the first time around, right?

5. Surely Guest

Surely

If it's a subsidy, then Apple DID set the prices. A subsidy means that you are giving AT&T money which AT&T is giving to Apple to subsidize the full cost of the phone.

Apple said: "The true cost of our phone is X, so let's discount the initial price of the phone to trick people into thinking it's cheaper, and then jack up the price of the monthly fees to make up the difference. S'Alright AT&T?"

AT&T: "S'Alright."

It's funny, most people are pointing the finger at AT&T and are mad at them on this one. Why? Both companies sat down to figure out the pricing strategy- they didn't do it separately. Be mad at both of them if you chose to be mad.

6. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

If a higher end model of the iPhone 3G comes out during 2008/Early 2009, there will be allot of "3Grs" that wont be available for an upgrade.

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

And the v1 iPhones will have a good laugh! Such is life.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Thanks for the laugh :p

9. WishIWasHere macrumors regular

Not that I think for one second it will happen, I tend to agree that there is money to be made there. I would pay another couple of hundred up front to get some extra stuff and a NON plastic back. And I'm not rich, far from it. But I don't buy many things for myself other than the usual this and that, so when something I love comes up, I really don't mind spending more. I bought on day one last year, and never regretted it for a second, even when the price reduction was announced. I'm sure there are plenty of others who feel the same way...

10. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

They've already announced that apples not getting any more kickbacks from AT&T.

AT&T's pricing is AT&T's pricing.

The companies that are subsidizing the iPhones, like in the UK, are giving them away free.

AT&T is gouging, not Apple.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

64GB isnt happening very soon if you want the phone to remain the same size or actually get smaller.

12. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

if it did happen, it would be like a 1000 phone.
    and who the hell would want 64gigs of music when you coud only listen to 2 gigs at a time before the battery ran out?