Apple's Not So Mighty Mouse

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SanderH, Jul 10, 2009.

1. SanderH macrumors member

Since I'll be using a external monitor together with my MBP I've been looking out for a decent mouse and keyboard.

I'll probably go for the apple wired keyboard. When it comes a mouse, I'm still doubting. I've read quite a few threads about the mighty mouse and saw lots of people saying it is absolute crap. Now the thing is.. I've been scrolling through the "post your mac setup"-thread and there were a TON of people owning a mighty mouse, either wireless or wired.

Now... either the mighty mouse isn't that bad after all, or some people on this forum just want to have a mighty mouse, even if it's _bad_?

Now which one is it?

Edit: I don't play game or things like that, I mostly use my computer for college, programming, browsing, etc..

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No one is progressing backwards here, so watch your mouth.

Some people like the Mighty Mouse, other's don't. It's somewhat a preference thing (sorta like your language.) Those that do, still have the trackball issues, but fixing that is fairly common. I personally am a large fan of the Logitech MX Revolution.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have a Mighty Mouse and have no problems with mine

But it is personal preference... go test one yourself and see if you like it

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. UnknownMacNoob macrumors member

I haven't had any issues with my mighty mouse as far as defectiveness (is that even a word?)
    But, I did find problems when I used it to play Fallout 3. Since its 1 button, when I zoomed in with the "right click" I couldn't shoot with the "left click" while zoomed in.
    So if you use application where you need the right click and left click pressed at the same time you could run into problems with the might mouse.
    Other than that it is an excellent mouse.:)

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I had a mighty mouse with my new 24" iMac last year, but I quickly switched back to my old Logitech black mouse. Part of the problem was I couldn't get right click to work reliably. (I did make sure it was setup properly in system preferences). Macs in the apple store usually have the mighty mouse, so try one there. It's really a matter of personal preference.

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

It's a Marmite thing.

I love my MM. I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement, but it's by far my favourite mouse for operating a Mac.

They're showing their age though, in terms of design and accuracy IMHO. Wouldn't stop me buying more of them though, as needed of course!

7. Pugpuppydude macrumors regular

I love the mighty mouse! At first, I was using the MX Revolution but after giving my mighty mouse (wired) a try i couldn't go back to logitech. The feel and easy to use expose buttons are such a time saver. But i guess it is whatever feels best for you and what you are using your computer for. Good luck.

8. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I have a wireless mighty mouse and have no issues with it whatsoever. It is just a personal preference.

9. donlphi macrumors 6502

donlphi

I use wireless and wired Mighty mouse

My Mac Pro has a wired Mighty Mouse and I use my wireless Mighty Mouse and keyboard for presentations through my Macbook Pro. It did take me a bit to get used to and finally get the settings so I didn't accidentally jump into exposé every time a squeezed the mouse while clicking.

The only problem I have had is with the track ball. My wireless trackball doesn't always work as smoothly as I would like, but I could say the same thing about my mouse wheel on my Dell laser mouse I use at work.

I would say it's actually possible to put too many features into a product. We all asked for right click and Apple gives us right click, a horizontal/vertical scroll trackball that also functions as a button, and a squeeze sensor.

It would be cool if Apple came up with a cleaner solution, but it works as is, and I don't get the feeling they have any plans to change anything in the near future.

10. Fesdon macrumors newbie

Mighty Mouse

I am one of those who left feedback...

Overall I have only one complaint about Mighty Mouse (wireless) and that would be the track-ball. It can stop working or gets jittery, which can be frustrating. Scrolling down a web page, for example will stop or the reverse; you can scroll down yet not up. The best fix I have found is to blow the heck out of it with compressed air and cleaning the nub with alcohol, yet this does not always work. Aside from this, it works well.... I use the MM at home and a Logitech at work.

11. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

At first, my mighty mouse worked fine.

After a couple weeks, the ball would get stuck, and I could only scroll one direction. No matter which way I turned the ball, it would only move in that direction.

Now, the ball is completely non-responsive. It isn't caught on anything, and there's no friction. It rolls extremely smoothly, just does absolutely nothing.

I don't complain about it, as it was free, but if I paid money for it, I'd be pissed.

12. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

I loved the MM, in fact I loved both of the ones i have owned but after experiencing the trackball problems twice ive settled into using the Microsoft wireless 5000 laser mouse, works fine on my Mac Pro, and i love the scroll wheel, but i did miss the MM :( for about 5 mins, dont regret replacing it with a MS mouse thats worked flawlessly for ages :)

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

MM for me. The only issue is the scroll ball, but turn it upside down, press the hell out of it and spin it and it cleans up nicely. Unless you have spoo or something on your finger...

14. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

For most applications, the MM works great. However, it is very sensitive to body oils, so you do need to clean the ball once in a while. I would like to see the MM have a larger ball, but that is just me. I also use a Logitec mouse on another computer, at it works great there. It is mostly down to personal preference, and people's ability to do simple problem solving when they do have an issue.

TEG

15. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I love mine. It works great, but occasionally, the scroll ball stops scrolling. To fix this, I place an old mouse pad, the type you'd use for a trackball mouse, beneath a piece of paper and roll the ball around on the paper.

And the right click thing. To right click, your left finger must be all the way off the topshell of the mouse.

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

My Mighty Mouse works fine. I barely clean it, but a damp long-fiber towel can clean the scroll ball fairly well. Just make sure your hand aren't oily or it will get clogged after a while of use.

17. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

If you like having to clean you mouse repeatedly on schedule then by all means it's recommended. The rest of us that want to use a mouse instead of cleaning it go elsewhere. It's that simple. You have many threads on this mouse. It has not changed. My take is that the mighty mouse belongs in the waste basket.

18. jstizzle macrumors newbie

jstizzle

My Mighty Mouse is great for web browsing and everything else except gaming as many have stated. I love the extra gestures that come with the mighty mouse such as squeezing the mouse and clicking with the ball depressed as additional functions. The downside is that the trackball does seem to stick especially if you haven't cleaned it for a while. 360 degree scrolling is great though, especially if you work a lot in Photoshop.

19. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I have never liked them, I find them incredibly uncomfortable to use. But it's still a thing of preference, not a given fact. I suggest you try one at an Apple Store (or any kind of retailer who sells them). If it doesn't fall to your taste, there's thankfully lots of options for you. I'm a big fan of Logitech's MX-series personally. :)

20. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Is it just me, or is anyone else having better luck with the bt mighty mouse than the wired one?

Oh, I've been told by an apple csr that extended applecare covers apple mice and external keyboards in addition to your machines.

I like my bt mighty mouse. I've tried other bt mice, but the mm seems easier to reestablish communications with my laptop than the 3rd party ones.

21. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I love the mighty mouse but I think Apple needs to step it up and get an upgrade. A 4 year old model doesn't really cut it.

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I found MM completely unusable. It registered left clicks as right clicks (or vice versa, I can't remember now). I went through two of them just to make sure.

23. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

I hate the mighty mouse, it looks nice but that's about it.

I sort of understand the logic behind it, a 2 button mouse that is also a one button, but it was just so annoying taking the finger off each time and it's also near impossible to use in some games.

The roll ball is an interesting idea, but it's bound to get dirty fast (mine did within a couple of months, I ditched it shortly after) the wheels and left to right motion are far more practical.