Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgadher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
Hi All,

Quick question, my iphone 6 plus (64gb) has started to become plagued by the dreaded touch disease. (grey bars at the top, unresponsive screen) The only thing I can do to rectify it is to press hard on the top bezel but this is a temporary measure.
I took it to the Genius Bar and sods law, it started working fine without any issue. Regardless the Apple technician went through diagnostics and everything came back clear. I had to correct the technician when he advised this issue only applied to the iphone 6!
Long story short, the only acceptable resolution to repair the phone is to buy a refurbished iphone 6 plus like for like at the price of £350. Naturally I declined and with no other options offered by the technician I had to leave.

My question - what are my options? Apart from buying another phone or going to a 3rd party repairer. Is it worth contacting Apple Exec Relations to complain of the high price of buying a iphone 6plus? That is two years old and will soon be replaced by an even newer phone (iphone 8)?

Sorry for the rant but the high price quoted has shaken me up a bit.

Thanks
S

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Hi All,

Quick question, my iphone 6 plus (64gb) has started to become plagued by the dreaded touch disease. (grey bars at the top, unresponsive screen) The only thing I can do to rectify it is to press hard on the top bezel but this is a temporary measure.
I took it to the Genius Bar and sods law, it started working fine without any issue. Regardless the Apple technician went through diagnostics and everything came back clear. I had to correct the technician when he advised this issue only applied to the iphone 6!
Long story short, the only acceptable resolution to repair the phone is to buy a refurbished iphone 6 plus like for like at the price of £350. Naturally I declined and with no other options offered by the technician I had to leave.

My question - what are my options? Apart from buying another phone or going to a 3rd party repairer. Is it worth contacting Apple Exec Relations to complain of the high price of buying a iphone 6plus? That is two years old and will soon be replaced by an even newer phone (iphone 8)?

Sorry for the rant but the high price quoted has shaken me up a bit.

Thanks
S

I had my 6 plus replaced because of this problem. I hope you get it sorted out soon.

sgadher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
Hi guys, just a quick update. I sent an email to Tim Cook copying in customer services but have yet to receive a response. In the interim I started a conversation with Apple chat, in short they provided a code on an exception basis to replace the screen. However when I went back to the Apple store they advised that the code couldnt be applied to a screen replacement as it wasn't proven that this would resolve the issue. In the end they replaced the phone like for like. Im in the process of restoring from backup and I hope this issue doesn't reappear in the future.

The apple chat support was great and reaffirmed my belief in Apple customer service. I will be sending an update to Tim Cook to advise appropriately.

Thanks for your advice, hopefully this experience acts as a sign to other affected users to try reasonably and fairly with Apple CS as they are quite good.

Thanks for your help and support.

S
[doublepost=1494621235][/doublepost]I should mention also that I wasn't charged for replacing like for like, though reading through reports that this issue is possibly attributed to poor design, I'm relieved that I am not paying for Apple's mistake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.