Apple's Offered to Replace my Macbook, Do I Need to Return My Charger?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thirdykal, Mar 15, 2010.

1. thirdykal macrumors member

Hey guys,

So as the title states, Apple has kindly offered to replace my 2007 Macbook with a new 2009 one, but I'm going for the paid upgrade to a base level 13" "Pro". I live in China, and they only offer the paid upgrade as an option in HK. Therefore, Apple HK is offering to pick it up by courier after they advance ship a base 13" MBP to my friend in HK, because my travel schedule is quite tight.

My question is do I need to turn in the charger with the Macbook?

My charger has been in use since I bought my Macbook in August of 2007, used almost every day at school and has a myriad of scratches all over. It's been on the floor of my room, my school, my dorm and a couple of dodgy hostels, as well as airports and all that, so all the scratches are filled with dirt blah blah blah. Long story short, its extremely beaten up and sore on the eyes. Does Apple still want it back? It's always nice to have a charger for travel and one at home so I don't forget my charger at home. Given the luxury tax in China is massive, Apple chargers from authorized resellers can be up to 800rmb ($117), a bit ridiculous thanks.

So yea, recap, is Apple expecting my charger? I doubt they'd expect it, or any of the original boot discs, but I just want to make sure.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No way Apple would go after you for it. It will be filed under, 'That bastard forgot it on purpose', or, 'He probably just forgot. Oh well.'

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

arethe chargers even compatible? they have different magsafe connections

4. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

When Apple replaced my G5 with a MacPro, I asked if I should bring in all my cords, antennas, discs, box, mouse and keyboard. They told me not to worry about it. I sold it all off individually on ebay and made like $100 bucks. The grey power cord went for like $15, restore discs for like $20, BT and WiFi antennas like $10 a piece.

If you want to ask for piece of mind go ahead, chances are they will tell you not to bother.

5. ttopp macrumors regular

they asked me to return everything except the remote as the new one didnt come with it as standard.. but i didnt query it i had spare ones anyway unfortunately the new one was 85 watt no 60 so while i kin use the 60 in emergencies its no best for batt ;life i believe..

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Not sure how this swap program is working.

But when my TC got replaced because of the power supply issue all I got in the box they sent was a new TC. I kept the old cord and reused it. But I sent it after receiving the new one, so I knew not to send the cord.

7. nastebu macrumors 6502

The straight up thing to do is call Apple and ask. You'll be worry free, and odds are pretty good if you ask with a sense of humor they'll give you the answer you expect--nope, they don't need it.

8. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Just curious - what made Apple do a free swap?

9. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

I found this to be the case. When my mbp was being swapped out with a new one (in retail box with all stuff) I asked if I needed to return the discs or charger and the guy told me that they would be happy to take them back from me but it was in no way required.

10. thirdykal thread starter macrumors member

Since I bought it in 2007, nothing but problems. Hard drive failure, dead fan, logic board replacement (permanent red light issue, wouldn't recognize the speakers as installed hardware and dead ethernet port), broken optical drive (wouldn't burn DVDs), cracked case, dead cable under the trackpad that makes the power button work (service guy couldn't turn it on when I took it in to confirm everything was broken), then again another dead fan. And now the Ethernet port is dead... again, so that's another logic board required. Oh yea, plus MAAAAAANY software issues which required OSX to be reinstalled over and over and over again, every couple months or so (using bluetooth would cause Finder to crash, Time Machine would fail to backup everytime, etc etc). Then a TON of kernel panics in OSX + BSOD's in Win7/Vista until I upgraded my RAM to 4GB using 3rd party. After explaining all that calmly to Apple Australia, they were kind enough to see that enough was enough.

Alrighty, my computer still works, so I'm waiting for a product refresh (ARRAAAANDDAAAALLLLLEEEE) to replace it (I have warranty until August), but I just wanted to see what other people's experiences were. When I'm close to getting it replaced I'll give them a call.

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

When they replaced my dead Time Capsule, they told me not to send back power cord.