iPhone X Apples official wallpaper XS vs XR - Why did they do it?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I'd love to hear your theories as to why Apple did what they did when it came to the official "Colorful Soap Bubble" Wall paper on the XS and XR models.

I think we are all intelligent enough to understand Apple selected this very pretty soap bubble official wallpaper in their marketing as it hides the notch.

Ok, we get that. Apple knows the notch is not the greatest solution to the problem, but for the time being, till tech advances happen we've stuck with it. (though the notch will reduce in size in the future without question)

So fine, They picked the wallpaper that looks nice and hides the notch.

But my question is. Why did they not do the same for the XR model they wish to also promote?
They could have so easily, say, had a similar image, say the soap bubble in a blue colour and used than on the XR to hide the notch of the XR in a similar fashion.

It's plain, they wished to hide the notch on the XS and show the notch on the XR.

My question is why?
Why would you wish to highlight a negative aspect of the cheaper model in your official marketing images?

You thoughts.......

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I don’t think Apple is as sensitive about the notch as people think. In fact, I think the may even be quite proud of it, which is why they did it and prominently feature it in icons. I do think they wanted to show the super contrasty black of OLEDs. Using that wallpaper renders the black portion of the wallpaper indistinguishable from the notch. Everyone knows there’s a notch - the wallpaper serves to show how black OLEDs can get, not to hide something that everyone knows already exists.

gpoop

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2017
I don’t think Apple is as sensitive about the notch as people think. In fact, I think the may even be quite proud of it, which is why they did it and prominently feature it in icons. I do think they wanted to show the super contrasty black of OLEDs. Using that wallpaper renders the black portion of the wallpaper indistinguishable from the notch. Everyone knows there’s a notch - the wallpaper serves to show how black OLEDs can get, not to hide something that everyone knows already exists.

This. Why would Apple try to hide something they are proud of? They chose the design therefore they clearly like it.

cwosigns

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Also, they are proud that the XR has the TrueDepth Camera system, so they want to make sure that people see it in their marketing photos.

Reactions: GrumpyMom

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I agree of course that in real life, the back of a LCD is not as black as an OLED.
but I'm sure we can all accept with "rendered" marketing images, such a difference would not be shown ;)

I did wonder if Apple was trying to persuade people to pay more for the version without such a visible notch, but I guess that's silly me thinking that.

Still seems strange to have such a different mind-set as one would have thought Apple is all about consistency.

It's of course been done to show the notch on the XR and hide the notch of the XS, which is still interesting as to their thoughts/thinking behind this deliberate decision.

EugW

macrumors G3
Jun 18, 2017
I think it's because the XR is LCD - blacks are not as true black as on the XS/Max, so a black wallpaper would probably still show the notch in a way it would not on the OLED models.
Yup. The notch would still be visible on the Xr. Invisible on the Xs, Max.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
I think it's because the XR is LCD - blacks are not as true black as on the XS/Max, so a black wallpaper would probably still show the notch in a way it would not on the OLED models.
And they’re color matching the wallpaper like they did with the 5C. No grand conspiracy or anything like that.
[doublepost=1537713941][/doublepost]
I agree of course that in real life, the back of a LCD is not as black as an OLED.
but I'm sure we can all accept with "rendered" marketing images, such a difference would not be shown ;)

I did wonder if Apple was trying to persuade people to pay more for the version without such a visible notch, but I guess that's silly me thinking that.

Still seems strange to have such a different mind-set as one would have thought Apple is all about consistency.

It's of course been done to show the notch on the XR and hide the notch of the XS, which is still interesting as to their thoughts/thinking behind this deliberate decision.
But if you don’t use that wallpaper and want your own the notch will show.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
I'd love to hear your theories as to why Apple did what they did when it came to the official "Colorful Soap Bubble" Wall paper on the XS and XR models.
Colorful soap bubbles? Clearly you don't know wtf ur talking about. Apple just built their new "Spaceship" Campus "Apple Park" ... and lesser known they've been building out a planet in an adjacent solar system to ours, dubbed "The Homeland" which is where the new campus will jettison and take all the believers to when there's no longer a safe space here on earth for the Cult of Apple.

The images are of varying stages of testing gasses in the atmosphere. Apple has been hard at work the last several years testing various mixes of gasses with oxygen to determine the optimal levels which cause the human brain to most likely be willing to part with $1000-2000 for a phone.

The photos are what the new planet looks like with various atmospheric gas conditions.

Get your facts right. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.