Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2007
OLED will always have burn in unless the tech changes. Its the nature of OLED itself.
So better (as you point out) doesn't make it non existent.

OLED for monitors is just bad idea as the tech is fundamentally flawed. Sure, OLED is great for watching TV few hours a day but thats about it.
Unfortunately, until MicroLED gets cheaper etc. we are stuck in the transition.

I still prefer miniLED over OLED in TV and computer screens. Hence why my next TV this year will be MiniLED (most likely SONY as their new tech shows massive promises)

Once again, you need to pay attention to the newer models: WOLED type 2022 and onward and QD-OLED last year and onward. Anything older will show signs of significant burn-in, as shown in their videos and tests.
What you have pointed out is the first generation of QD-OLED from Samsung Display. That technology was brand-new in 2022 and it does show some severe burn-in. Their second generation released last year is nothing like that. Go to the their Samsung S95B versus S95C longevity tests and you will see what I’m talking about. WOLED type from LG Display was already better than that even in 2022.

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
OLED will always have burn in unless the tech changes. Its the nature of OLED itself.
So better (as you point out) doesn't make it non existent.

OLED for monitors is just bad idea as the tech is fundamentally flawed. Sure, OLED is great for watching TV few hours a day but thats about it.
Unfortunately, until MicroLED gets cheaper etc. we are stuck in the transition.

I still prefer miniLED over OLED in TV and computer screens. Hence why my next TV this year will be MiniLED (most likely SONY as their new tech shows massive promises)
Clearly, you don’t want to read, watch, or research even on one given website. You don’t even know the difference between different OLED types. WOLED, QD-OLED, etc. There will be a newer type of OLED soon as well.
Well, so be it.
By the way, the Ratings tests show that some LCD screens actually show even worse image retention results than some older OLED screens.
Also, it’s funny how you use the word flawed and then say mini-LED. It’s the definition of a flawed technology: there is blooming around bright objects as it can’t turn off individual pixels and uses local dimming instead. Gaming on those screens or watching fast-paced movies is a joke since the transition between the dimming zones is too slow. It even looks like strobing sometimes. But sure, go ahead use an inferior screen technology thinking that somehow it’s better than the other one while newer types of OLED don’t have any burn-in anymore.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Last edited:

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
It's the best tech around. Yes it can get burn in but modern oled panels have loads of built in ways to prevent it. It's not really an issue unless you try make it happen and even then by the time it does appear (if) then you'll have replaced your device.

OLED has been in iPhones for a long time now and it's not a problem.

I'd take the small risk of burn in over poor display quality out the box with LCD and MiniLED
For 11~32 inch computer display, it's a totally different story. Yes, it sucks and doesn't really do better than LCD/mini-LED. And wrong, using OLED iPhone for a while has nothing to do with it due to its different size, pixel pitch, power consumption, price, and more. Completely different story.

People seem to confuse that OLED is ready for computer displays but guess what? It never did. This is why there aren't many OLED laptop and computer monitor especially for professional uses. Using OLED will only risk its life-span due to burn-in which I dont want that. LCD itself still serves better than OLED. How about video? Well, we have mini-LED AND reference monitors which works way better than OLED.

Last edited:

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2007
what do you mean that I don't check? Rtings was mentioned so I went to see it (even though I saw it before) and they did confirm what I've said. That OLED monitors are only good for gaming and nothing else. Did you not check the video?

They clearly advised against OLED monitors which is the same sentiment I've said. OLED is ok for iPhone, iPad etc. as those devices are used differently. Monitors on the other hand have static bars and are on for hours and hours. Burn in risk is very high and hence why even Rtings adviced against it.

You don't get the same one Mini LED which is why I mentioned it. Sure there is tiny risk to have burn in with LCDs but compared to OLED its negligible. OLED will have burn in - its built in the tech!

Clearly, you don’t want to read, watch, or research even on one given website. You don’t even know the difference between different OLED types. WOLED, QD-OLED, etc. There will be a newer type of OLED soon as well.
Well, so be it.
By the way, the Ratings tests show that some LCD screens actually show even worse image retention results than some older OLED screens.
Also, it’s funny how you use the word flawed and then say mini-LED. It’s the definition of a flawed technology: there is blooming around bright objects as it can’t turn off individual pixels and uses local dimming instead. Gaming on those screens or watching fast-paced movies is a joke since the transition between the dimming zones is too slow. It even looks like strobing sometimes. But sure, go ahead use an inferior screen technology thinking that somehow it’s better than the other one while newer types of OLED don’t have any burn-in anymore.

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
what do you mean that I don't check? Rtings was mentioned so I went to see it (even though I saw it before) and they did confirm what I've said. That OLED monitors are only good for gaming and nothing else. Did you not check the video?

They clearly advised against OLED monitors which is the same sentiment I've said. OLED is ok for iPhone, iPad etc. as those devices are used differently. Monitors on the other hand have static bars and are on for hours and hours. Burn in risk is very high and hence why even Rtings adviced against it.

You don't get the same one Mini LED which is why I mentioned it. Sure there is tiny risk to have burn in with LCDs but compared to OLED its negligible. OLED will have burn in - its built in the tech!
Once again: the part in question in that video is about the first generation of QD-OLED. It was infamously bad since it was only launched in 2022. Last year Samsung Display fixed it and their second generation does not show any burn-in anymore.
On the other hand, the older more mature technology called WOLED was already burn-in free beginning in 2022. That’s the panels that come from LG Display. In that video there are no monitors with those screens mentioned, but many people have been buying LG C2 as a monitor for years now and nobody has had any issues with it when it comes to image retention or burn-in.
All this is covered on the same website. You just need to go over different articles and different videos. They specifically talk about WOLED vs QD-OLED recommending the former.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I guess “Touch on TFE + Pol-less” is a new type of OLED panel? Or the foldable one?
I would guess Touch on TFE means that the touch sensor panel is incorporated into the thin film encapsulation layer (meaning that a separate touch sensor panel isn't needed) and Pol-less means that a polariser is not needed. Both of these developments (if they happen) will mean a thinner display panel.
This roadmap is so laughable it truly is. Literally treating OLED as some new revolutionary tech, despite the fact iPhone has had OLED for about 7 years now and Apple Watch since day 1!
Still gotta give people a reason to upgrade I suppose.
The OLED displays for iPad (and presumably Macs) do use a new type of panel that Samsung and LG have only just developed (at Apple's request) - they use a tandem panel that allows the display to get brighter without an increase burn in risk.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Apple will still milk the "ProMotion" cow dry by 2027 by keeping it a "Pro" feature while cheap $200 Androids with 120hz screens will laugh at us. Apple needs to stop this "ProMotion" marketing garbage and use 120hz screens across entire device portfolio starting this year. There is noting "Pro" about 120hz screens in 2024.
Pro-Motion is about variable refresh rate up to 120hz depending on what the phone is showing. Unless those cheap android phones can understand what is on-screen and can change their refresh rate on the fly, then that isn't Pro-Motion, that's just a "dumb" screen in the sense that it's simply powered on at full-blast 24/7 with no awareness of what is being rendered.

Reactions: SouthBronx187

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2007
Once again: the part in question in that video is about the first generation of QD-OLED. It was infamously bad since it was only launched in 2022. Last year Samsung Display fixed it and their second generation does not show any burn-in anymore.
On the other hand, the older more mature technology called WOLED was already burn-in free beginning in 2022. That’s the panels that come from LG Display. In that video there are no monitors with those screens mentioned, but many people have been buying LG C2 as a monitor for years now and nobody has had any issues with it when it comes to image retention or burn-in.
All this is covered on the same website. You just need to go over different articles and different videos. They specifically talk about WOLED vs QD-OLED recommending the former.
ok, thank you.

SlightWince

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2022
I have to ask the question here, what is wrong with the mini-led display on the m3 macbook pro? It's amazing. Yes, OLED looks great, but I don't care what anyone says about the latest improvements, I don't want it on my macbook if there is even the slightest chance of burn-in. I'll gladly be satisfied with the truly amazing class-leading mini-led display we currently have, and wait until micro-led is ready for primetime.

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
I have to ask the question here, what is wrong with the mini-led display on the m3 macbook pro? It's amazing. Yes, OLED looks great, but I don't care what anyone says about the latest improvements, I don't want it on my macbook if there is even the slightest chance of burn-in. I'll gladly be satisfied with the truly amazing class-leading mini-led display we currently have, and wait until micro-led is ready for primetime.
Currently, there is no reason to get OLED. While the contrast ratio might be the best, that's not a big deal.

TheConnoisseur

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2021
I seriously hope the PWM/Dithering issues are somewhat mitigated or resolved as i can barely use an iPhone nowadays before my eyes start tearing up within 15-30 minutes of use.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: SouthBronx187

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
OLED MacBook Pros seem very far out, especially after this year's CES where a number of laptops jumped to OLED after fixing a number of holdbacks with it, such as solving VRR on it on the G14 and Dell using POLEDs which use half the power for the same brightness.

2026/7 seems so far lol. I hope they at least keep working on the pixel response times for the MacBook Pros because that blunts ProMotion's effectiveness.

Steve-Jobz

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
Hey! Have you noticed the change in the screen ratio of the BIG one?

The old one is 2732x2048 (4:3), the new one is 2880x1920 (3:2)

This is the first screen ratio change for the large-sized iPad Pro.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Hey! Have you noticed the change in the screen ratio of the BIG one?

The old one is 2732x2048 (4:3), the new one is 2880x1920 (3:2)

This is the first screen ratio change for the large-sized iPad Pro.
3:2 is the same screen ratio that Surface Pro uses

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
Well, so be it.
OLED is still OLED. It does not change how it works. Also, QD-OLED is a lot more expensive than WOLED, while WOLED is much weaker to burn-in.

Beside, most of monitors are still LCD based and blooming is not a big deal cause LCD is much worse than that. Professionals won't gonna like OLED anyway due to burn-in, low peak brightness, power consumption, price, and more. If it's inferior, how come the majority of monitors are still LCD based, especially reference monitors?

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
So far away :( It sucks we're still stuck with crappy LCD displays in many devices. Mini LED is not a replacement for OLED.

By the time Apple bother to add OLED microLED might be ready :p and that's the only display tech that could replace OLED.

It's the best tech around. Yes it can get burn in but modern oled panels have loads of built in ways to prevent it. It's not really an issue unless you try make it happen and even then by the time it does appear (if) then you'll have replaced your device.

OLED has been in iPhones for a long time now and it's not a problem.

I'd take the small risk of burn in over poor display quality out the box with LCD and MiniLED

I think you are greatly exaggerating the difference between LCD and OLED by calling LCD crappy. I own a variety of screens across a wide number of devices and while its true I prefer my 70 inch OLED TV in my home theater over the 65 inch LCD in the family room, if someone is watching something I have zero interest in on the OLED, I dont even hesitate to go to the LCD. And I dont sit there thinking, oh this sucks. My eyes are bleeding. Throw out this LCD! It's about the content, if the movie has my interest I dont care. I appreciate the OLED's blacks, but I dont miss them on the LCD. same with my iPhone. Same with my MacBooks, and yes I own a PC laptop with OLED but really dont think its any better at all then my MBP tech. So yeah. LCD is not crappy. Just my opinion. But I dont let specs drive me, the experience drives my decisions.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
This roadmap is so laughable it truly is. Literally treating OLED as some new revolutionary tech, despite the fact iPhone has had OLED for about 7 years now and Apple Watch since day 1!
Still gotta give people a reason to upgrade I suppose.
Why so cynical?

[I'm going to defend Apple here because—if the display is integral to creative work—they are doing the right thing by waiting.]

OLED is a broad category of panel technologies and diode technologies—and within that broad category there is a lot of variation and still a lot of development ahead of us. A lot has to be solved before Apple can replace the miniLED LCD panels on the MacBook Pros, which give us 600 nits SDR, 1000 nits HDR, and 1600 nits peak brightness.

But Windows laptops have OLED so why isn't Apple just copying them?

The Gigabyte AERO 16 OLED laptop is probably the best OLED on a laptop—according to a quick google search of "best OLED laptops"—but falls short to Apple's MacBook Pro standards because the Gigabyte AERO only does under 400 nits SDR (not 600 nits) and only peaks at 620 nits (not 1600 nits).

400 nits SDR isn't even bright enough to replace the display in an M2 MacBook Air—so how is Apple supposed to use current OLED to replace the miniLED displays in MacBook Pros?

Not to mention other complexities like battery life, the backpanel tech to make it variable refresh rate (ProMotion), the new blue diode being licensed this year, cost, and considering Apple has to consider more supply chain issues because it ships a lot more laptops than other manufacturers that can get away with smaller orders.

Lastly—Apple is the last company in the world that can get away with burn-in issues. The press, and us customers, would never let them get away with it. You think I want to pay $3K on a MacBook Pro and have the menu bar and dock burned into my display within 2 years? No, so Apple has to wait for RGB tandem (or "dual stack OLED") to be viable for production so that it can get that bright and not burn in with static content.

So tell me—how is this roadmap laughable?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Pezimak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.