• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Major camera upgrades coming to the iPhone 13 series are putting increased pressure on suppliers to meet Apple's demand for key lens components, according to a new DigiTimes report.

iphone12protriplelenscamera.jpg

Apple has reportedly put Taiwan-based makers of voice coil motor (VCM) components on notice to increase their capacity by 30-40% in order to meet the company's demand, which is expected to outstrip the entire Android market this year.
The sources pointed out that the next-generation iPhones are expected to have upgrades in camera modules and 3D sensors for Face ID, resulting in increasing use of VCMs, said the sources adding that Apple has also asked related component suppliers to increase their capacities by 30-40% in order to meet its demand.
Apple's order pull-ins for VCMs are expected to turn strong as soon as this month and begin surging in July. Meanwhile, the reduced demand from Android makers for VCMs is partly due to the impact of Huawei's US-imposed sanctions. That said, successive iPhone models have required more and more VCM components, which are involved in camera lens focus functions, because Apple keeps increasing the number and quality of lenses in its camera modules.

This year, Apple is expected to make several notable camera improvements in the iPhone 13. The new "Pro" models are likely to feature an upgraded Ultra Wide camera lens with a wider f/1.8 aperture and a six-element lens, with some rumors suggesting that the Ultra Wide upgrade could come to all four iPhone 13 models.

Sensor-shift stabilization is expected to be expanded across the entire iPhone lineup, introducing improvements in low light performance and stabilization by reducing camera shake, with the feature rumored to be available for the Wide lens and the Ultra Wide lens of the Pro models. One rumor claims the new iPhone models will also be able to take Portrait Mode videos.

In addition, there are also claims that the iPhone 13 models will have astrophotography camera capabilities for capturing the sky. This could involve a special mode that activates when the iPhone is pointed at the sky, allowing the device to detect the moon, stars, and other artifacts and adjust exposure.

If the rumors are accurate, all of these improvements are likely to require a slightly larger camera bump, although individual lenses may protrude less from the device's body, according to one source.

Apple's iPhone 13 lineup will be unveiled in the fall of 2021, with the company likely aiming to return to its traditional September launch timeline.

Article Link: Apple's Orders for Key iPhone 13 Camera Component Expected to Outstrip Entire Android Market

Last edited:
Reactions: One2Grift

One2Grift

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2021
Thanks for the great information. The 13 is my cycle target for next summer (refurb or discounting). Look forward to the camera.

that kind of prediction is also an Apple stock discussion. Apple has been stuck about 20% off it’s 52 week high (it has the lowest PE of FAAMG stocks, about a point lower than FB). Much of this step down then sideways price action is due to wall street’s belief that Apple is so big it can’t significantly grow revenue(the big funds have drifted away). Last earnings Apple destroyed expectations yet the stock dropped. If this story on the demand is true and demand is that high? AAPL right now in mid 120s is a buy. (But if they’re wrong and growth is meh or even flat? It’s not a buy imho).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: subi257
Comment

raymond7

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2016
Woot woot! The iphone 13 is going to be a camera beast with bigger batteries. I can't wait to abandon my S10+ for the iphone 13 :p

Comment

wanha

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2020
In addition, there are also claims that the iPhone 13 models will have astrophotography camera capabilities for capturing the sky. This could involve a special mode that activates when the iPhone is pointed at the sky, allowing the device to detect the moon, stars, and other artifacts and adjust exposure.

This seems like an EXTREMELY niche feature to add to a mass market product.

Comment

One2Grift

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2021
Even the camera of my Huawei 2018 Mate 20 Pro was better compared to my iPhone 12 Pro Max when I put the pictures side by side on the mac and enlarge them.

The camera is not the reason to buy an iPhone - but an improvement is very welcome.
Actually the camera is a reason to buy the iPhone 12 Pro Max. Videos are excellent and it’s night exposure (yes not a typo) is going to win it more often than not. Yet Huawei definitely was setting some standards with gold level hardware and it’s ultimate photo quality in some instances were singularly stellar above all competition. But because there’s going to be a number of variants to shooting a pic or video, each camera isn’t winning all categories (Samsung has a seriously great image quality for a number of photo/vid scenarios). But testing with IP12 Pro Max wasn’t performed against the 20 (or at least I could find). The equivalent ip12 Pro Max comp is the Huawei Mate 40 — of which you can definitely find side by sides photo, video, numerous environment scenarios. Everyone will quickly see each one has its categories it wins in and loses in. Ultimately IP12 Pro Max is a great camera as is the Huawei Mate 40.

Last edited:
Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
You just described why I love Apple so much in one sentence.
What wanha just described is why, if introduced, there's a good chance the feature would be deprecated shortly after introduction. 3D Touch was one such feature. Ironically, 3D Touch was a useful feature that wasn't marketed properly or consistently applied across iOS. Astrophotography? About as niche as one could get. If they did it, would be the definition of a gimmick added to a phone imo.

Reactions: wanha
Comment

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2002
Actually the camera is a reason to buy the iPhone 12 Pro Max. Videos are excellent and it’s night exposure (yes not a typo) is going to win it more often than not. Yet Huawei definitely was setting some standards with gold level hardware and it’s ultimate photo quality in some instances were singularly stellar above all competition.
I think one advantage Android makers have is that when they think of an improvement, they only have to consider sourcing a few million of them (accounting for modules that don’t work, etc.). ANY change Apple makes has to be fairly reliable among millions of millions of phones, and that’s just those sold in the first month!

Reactions: Will do good
Comment

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2002
They need to fix the lens flare in night mode.Other than that,I have no complaints.
This is one of those things where I wouldn’t mind a little ML tech inserted. It’s aware of the location of the light source, AND the shape/quality of the lens. I’d like to see it use that information to detect where these little points of light might appear and mask them intelligently.

Comment

subi257

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
Even the camera of my Huawei 2018 Mate 20 Pro was better compared to my iPhone 12 Pro Max when I put the pictures side by side on the mac and enlarge them.

The camera is not the reason to buy an iPhone - but an improvement is very welcome.
It is among the many, if not then what is?

Comment

now i see it

macrumors 604
Jan 2, 2002
Remember that every single component down to a tiny screw needs to be made in the tens of millions.
Change a screw? We'll need 20 million of those. Change a gasket? We'll need 20 million of those. Change a lens element, that's right, We'll need 20 million of those too.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.