Apple's original Map app was the best ever

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by 3lite, Oct 7, 2013.

1. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

Seriously. It was simple, and it just worked.

Current apple map app sucks. Everyone seems to be using GoogleMaps but even that seems to be unstable and inaccurate 30% of the time.

I have location services on, wifi on, and I'll enter say "Panda Express" and they would pin point me automatically to a destination that is 20 minutes away when there is a Panda Express location 5 mins from my current location.

I have never had any problems with Apple's OG Map app.

Other apps like MapQuest etc. just look unprofessional and too colorful.

2. odin macrumors member

I'm noticing that Apple and Google both are suffering from poor crowd sourced data. (Yelp, etc.) Google in my area just did what seems to be a big update. It's so horrible now I can't stand it. Businesses are listed on the wrong side of the road. Closed businesses are shown as open when searching for things. And worst of all, the info has filtered through to apps like Yelp (and their website) which is showing businesses hundreds of miles away from a similar sounding city. Yelp says it's Google. Google isn't responding. What a mess.

I wish they'd all stop trying to integrate info from third party crowd sourced sources. And, god forbid I win the wish lottery, I wish both Apple and Google would update map issues more quickly once given feedback.

3. 3lite thread starter macrumors 6502a

3lite

I am honored a 2002 member with only 24 post responded to my thread. :cool:

4. odin macrumors member

HAHA. I haven't had much to say until lately. Maps and such are an interest of mine. I've enjoyed trying to figure out what the bigger companies involved are doing. I don't know if you saw my other posts about TomTom; but, in addition to submitting map errors to Apple, be sure to go to the TomTom website and do it. They will often accept a change and notify you that it will be in the next major release. (Sometimes they will deny it and explain that as well.) Since Apple pulls a lot of data from them, I do it in both in case Apple never gets around to it in my low population area. (Doesn't help the crowd sourced stuff though, I do that directly with places like Yelp, etc.)

5. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

You do realize that the "original" Apple maps was just a poor man's version of Google Maps right? I mean it WAS Google Maps, just without the branding and turn by turn. So its funny that you think the new Google maps isn't as accurate as the old one.

6. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Actually, it was branded Google right on the map as that where the data came from...

...and it sucked for anything other than looking up an address...

7. 3lite thread starter macrumors 6502a

3lite

Well then Google Maps fell off. Ever since it got rebranded GoogleMaps have been highly inaccurate.

8. odin macrumors member

I know you're responding to the OP: but, I hope you also realize Google has made many changes in the past couple of years that have led to more inaccurate maps than they've had in the past in some areas. Who can say why that is true; but, in many rural areas I've visited, Google has reintroduced errors that had been removed years ago. And the crowd sourced data in some areas is absolutely horrible now.

One example: a local road was a popular access point to the nearest interstate. At one point it was closed on one end (permanently) and renamed because a larger feeder had opened. That was added to Google fairly quickly. Great!

Now, it's back. Years later, the old road is showing up again. Totally bizarre.

9. cynics macrumors G3

Apple's original Map app was the best ever

I find Google maps to be extremely up to date and accurate when compared to Apple maps. Unlike others I'll show examples.

There is a bridge here that can take of 5-10 minutes of a drive.

[​IMG]

Google has it.

[​IMG]

There is a circle here and ended up being extremely confusing. It's been there for years.

[​IMG]

Googles

[​IMG]

I could go on if anyone likes but these to major flaws are within a mile of each other? I use Apple maps/Google maps everyday since my Garmin broke about 3 months ago.

And look at the microscopic text on the Apple app. What's that about? I can increase it but that increases the text size throughout iOS.

10. odin macrumors member

Cynics, be sure in addition to correcting inside Apple's app, you go here to correct to they pull better information if they do that more often than they update.

http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

11. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Navigation on foot was better than either Google or Apple Maps.

12. 3lite thread starter macrumors 6502a

3lite

$80 on the App store... lol what?

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Maps has separate text size controls as I recall.

14. zedzded macrumors regular

Bridges ceased to exist
    A Florida hospital became a supermarket
    Dubin's number of airports doubled
    Israel lost it's capital
    Directions to Washington, DC’s Dulles Airport took drivers to it's runway

Sorry I don't understand the bit about where you said

15. 3lite thread starter macrumors 6502a

3lite

You're talking about the current maps. I'm talking prime iPhone 4 maps.

16. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

I really miss the OG Maps app, the information density was perfect and the way Street View worked was great.

17. Zcott macrumors 68020

The original maps had no navigation, couldn't rotate and were static tiles.

Good but limited. Apple Maps has the potential to be much better than the original Google Maps.

18. odin macrumors member

Who said anything about buying an app? You can make corrections there, and view maps, for free.

19. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

I'm with the OP.

The original Maps app was the best.

Apple Maps is manure and Google Maps app is kinda annoying.

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

A few things to consider:

1. The OG Apple Maps you are referring to is the old version of Google maps from back in the day. Apple/Google was unable to update this app with any new features for whatever reason so it fell behind compared to the Android version of the same Google maps app.

2. It was a good move on Apple's part to no longer bake in the google maps app natively and to allow Google to support and update it as a 3rd party App.

3. The information you see in Apple Maps is not FROM Apple. They get their map data from Tom Tom and other map data sources.

I have seen an example where Apple maps will not display a restaurant where Google maps will. Then again, Google has been at it for how many years now collecting map data?