Apple's own certificates seems "forceful" ?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Tech198, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Hi all..

Just received this today after a new install of Lion 10.7.3. This probably wasn't only in Lion either. Correct me, if i'm wrong.

Even though the user can still continue installation anyway, ignoring the cert. (for example, an update of Airport Utility changes its GUI, and the user prefers previous version)

But, apart from that does this sound "more" like Apple is Forcing their users to stay current (as the less tech-savy will freak out by expired certs. so they will upgrade), while leaving a small population as the "geeky" level ?

Attached Files:

2. chrfr macrumors 603

That's silly. Apple's certificate which signed their updates had to expire at some point. Just redownload the file if you're concerned- updates have been reposted with new certificates.
    I'd rather they're signed so it's possible to verify the files are what they claim to be. This has nothing to do with Apple forcing anything.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

It may sound silly. but I remember the day Apple never signed their installers..

It was only recently they did..

If Apple was so concerned with this, why wasn't they done from day 1?

If they "were" signed always, there'd be no reason to question, but i just find it odd, that "they just started doing it"

Kind of fishy....... Its also not the fact that Apple are doing anything forceful, its the fact that this could be a good another reason to say "well..., have you upgraded" question.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This even sillier. Not only does Apple improve its design and engineering, it also improves its practices. Whether or not Apple signed certificate in the past, it it is a good thing that it signs them now.