Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
Apple doesn't need to negotiate with the music labels.

Online radio like Pandora and IheartRadio is governed by statutory rates set by Congress.

http://www.broadcastlawblog.com/201...-comparison-of-how-much-various-services-pay/

Pureplay Webcasters Per Performance Royalty Rates

2011 - $.00102 per performance
2012 - $.00110 per performance
2013 - $.00120 per performance
2014 - $.00130 per performance
2015 - $.00140 per performance
So each song that iRadio play, it will pay $0.0012 in royalties. 1000 songs play = $1.2 USD in royalties

Anyone can set up an online radio and do this as long as they pay this rate. From Google to a kid in his garage.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Whatre they going going to do?Just constantly speculate until it launches?Well its expected to launch 2012 no wait 2013 no wait 2034 :rolleyes:

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
Apple should focus on subscription music instead.

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2013/20130103cannibalism2012
Growth of Paid Downloads vs. Streaming, 2012 vs. 2011

A. Paid Downloads: 1.336 billion. Up 5%.
(iTunes, Amazon, etc.)

B. Spotify Subscribers: 5.2 million. Up 86%.
C. Spotify Active Users: 20 million. Up 100%.
D. Deezer Subscribers: 3 million. Up 114%
F. Pandora Listening Hours (per qtr): 3.56 billion. Up 67.9%.

streaming_v_downloading2012.jpg

Subscription Music

http://www.ifpi.org/content/library/DMR2012_key_facts_and_figures.pdf

2010: 8.2 million paying subscribers
2011: 13.4 million paying subscribers (growth of 63%)
2012: ?
2013: ?
2014: ?
2015: ?
2016: ?

Spotify5mmsubs.jpg

isarat

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
This gonna rock!

iTunes has better reach across the globe than Pandora or any similar services. This is certainly going to be a super hit like iTunes

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012

We have both google music and itunes match. I prefer google music better at this time. iTunes match seems to always have a hard time connecting and when it does, it plays the wrong song about half the time.

Apple doing a pandora thing...I dunno. I don't see a point to it. But if it were an on demand type thing...like pick whatever song I wanted, when I wanted, I would sign up for that.

taxiapple

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
LaLa

Back in December of 2009 Apple bought Lala for 80 Million only to shut it down mid 2010.

Maybe they might be finally doing something with their investment.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
We have both google music and itunes match. I prefer google music better at this time. iTunes match seems to always have a hard time connecting and when it does, it plays the wrong song about half the time.

Apple doing a pandora thing...I dunno. I don't see a point to it. But if it were an on demand type thing...like pick whatever song I wanted, when I wanted, I would sign up for that.

I don't get it, plays the wrong song how? It's not a streaming service

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Instead of wasting tons of money on this program that will only copy already existing 3rd party applications, why not include an FM radio in all of the various iproducts? Apple wont have any licensing issues, and consumers will get their music.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
word on the street is that these services just bleed money.

Is iTunes a big money maker now anyways? I always was under the assumption that it was just a tool to tie in an ecosystem for hardware sales.

----------

I think a Pandora service would be a major coup for Apple. In my friend group (18-25) almost no one buys music from iTunes anymore. People use Spotify on their computers but I don't know anyone that actually pays for it. Then on the go everyone uses Pandora on their iPhone or Android. Could be huge for Apple if they do it right.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
they need to get itunes, itunes store, and itunes match working right first. the whole "it just works" thing has not been true for so long now. just today the mobile itunes store was making me want to punch babies because it took almost 5min to load my "purchased" list on my iphone. this is not downloading the list, mind you. this is just so i could look at it. sheesh. the reasons why i fell in love with apple are starting to stretch thin.

iTunes Match is a pain like this it has two option neither are that practical.
Either go store pull items that way or have the full catalogue on device and make it hard to find whats on the device.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Is iTunes a big money maker now anyways? I always was under the assumption that it was just a tool to tie in an ecosystem for hardware sales.

My recollection is that Apple actually makes money - not a whole lot, but the service does make them money enough to keep the system going. That isn't the case with services like Pandora which I hear looses money since there aren't enough people paying for the service.
----------

I think a Pandora service would be a major coup for Apple. In my friend group (18-25) almost no one buys music from iTunes anymore. People use Spotify on their computers but I don't know anyone that actually pays for it. Then on the go everyone uses Pandora on their iPhone or Android. Could be huge for Apple if they do it right.

I don't think your group of friends is enough to make a statement with any real accuracy - it's way too small. Plus, why would Apple release a service that is music based that nobody (really) would pay for that they have no incentive to release on other platforms, that would have to compete equally with other services that are multi-platform (and web based) that people already use and are happy with.

People like services like Spotify and Pandora because they are available everywhere. Apple's proposed service would surely be not only DRM heavy but Apple device or iTunes only.

I just don't see it happening. Apple has always been about owning content. They have shrugged off rental services for years despite people saying that Apple has to do this since everybody else does it.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
iTunes Match is a pain like this it has two option neither are that practical.
Either go store pull items that way or have the full catalogue on device and make it hard to find whats on the device.

Go to music app...go,thru and pick albums and if there isn't a cloud next to the song it's on the device. If is a cloud is next to it just hit download all....not sure why its so difficult?

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
how about fixing that garbage iOS 6 app store first? Loading the top25 list on the iPad is just brutal, let alone trying to scroll through it.

EvanBlive91

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2009
This makes sense. I was wondering why the radio tab was on the forefront of the iTunes 11 redesign. Looks like they'll expand the functionality a little more in that area

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Hope it supports Sonos... Otherwise a non-starter for me.

It won't be on anything other than an Apple device or in iTunes - Apple would have no incentive to offer it on other platforms any more than they will make an Android version of iBooks or offer Non DRM free content on other platforms.

This makes sense. I was wondering why the radio tab was on the forefront of the iTunes 11 redesign. Looks like they'll expand the functionality a little more in that area

Apple has offered streaming audio from other providers for a long time. I don't see this as any more than that. Apple wouldn't tease something like that.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I'd give it a shot, but I'm pretty skeptical that Apple would do this better than Pandora currently does. Also I don't really see what their motivation is to launch a service like this. If they made iTunes "in the cloud" a truly streaming service than we could already access our music on the go without taking up all the space on our phones. iTunes match is a total mess and does not work as advertised, at least in my experience.

I have been a Pandora user since it first came out, so color me biased.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
I have apple computers, I had apple computers, I have an iPhone and an iPod and your wireless accessories but music I listen via a tube fm tuner, vinyl and scad's. I like my live feeds from among many others the Vienna philharmonic, Berlin, Paris, I like some public radio in the US, and I like my underwear and food not to have the apple logo. You Cuppertino geeks, there are things you should really stay TFOO.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
sounds good to me. though i probably wouldnt use the service much. i like to 'own' my music files, and keep the files local. but i can see a lot of people using the service

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
This sounds pretty darn cool. I might even consider switching to it from regular radio if it works when I need it to (since Pandora is worse than regular radio).

----------

I'd give it a shot, but I'm pretty skeptical that Apple would do this better than Pandora currently does.
Apple is a company that makes Macs and iOS devices and has a robust music program, iTunes. Even if they don't make the actual service better, the amazing convenience of it being in iTunes would make it worth switching for anyone with an Apple product, especially because switching isn't any commitment with these things.

netvvork

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
Imagine streaming all content you own on iTunes like how pandora works but with music u own.
Cutting out random songs u don't wanna hear

----------

Punch babies? Man you're mature

You missed my point entirely. This is a discussion forum. Even though my choice of color may have been crude, my concern is still a valid one. Lighten up a little. Sheesh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.