Apple's Pedastal Becoming a Bit Lower

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snook911, Oct 9, 2007.

1. snook911 macrumors 6502a

First of all let me start by saying that before I owned my iphone I really could have cared less about Apple or it's products. But the first time I stepped into the Apple store to buy my iPhone I was hooked. I since have also bought the new iPod Nano (for the kids) and have plans to buy Apple TV and a mac mini. The first couple of weeks I had my first Apple product I could'nt believe what I had been missing and I put Apple up on a very high pedastal. I think that most people who have been using Apple for years had Apple on the same pedastal like the where somehow above all other electronic companies. Now I don't know that pedastal seems to be getting lower and lower with each annoucement of how they are handling the iphone. I have no desire to hack to get 3rd party apps on the phone but it seems that may be the only way to get them. It also has occured to me that Apple is going to use the iphone as thier cash cow. I used to look up to Steve Jobs like he was someone to listen to but now he reminds me more of a bully on the playground who is holding all the marbels. Come on Steve share the marbles instead of hording them all to youself and then charging us when you decide to dole them out. I believe in free enterprise dont get me wrong but when you pay $600 for a phone you think it would be able to do all the things that the much older phones could do. I was shocked to learn that you could'nt MMS or use your songs in your ipod as ringtones. It all comes down to money any features that the iphone does not have now I dont think we will get until Apple figures out how they can cash in on it. I love my iphone I only wish Apple was still the company everyone says it used to be.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Paragraphs, making rants that much more effective since 12 BC.

3. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

The short response to this would be that it's you that's put 'Apple' high on a pedestal.

Apple cashing in? Yes, because that's new!

-Leemo

4. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

I was going to say the same thing.

My conscience got the better of me.

-Leemo

5. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know Apple cashing in is nothing new they cash in because thier products are great. But you don't think that locking down the iphone so you have to buy anything you want to do on it from them is a bit extreme. Apple does not want to let 3rd party apps onto the phone because they want you to buy them from them when they are released. IMHO.

By the way I dont come to these forums to get a grammer lesson if you don't like the way I post things don't read them.

6. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

And to be frank, that's fine by me. I'd rather have a little section on iTunes where I can buy software that I know is going to work properly and has been tested - I've had years of having Symbian phones from Nokia going absolutely haywire after installing a few apps. Both Apple and people who buy Apple products want a certain level of experience.

Just imagine the forums here if they opened up third party development officially and things got out of control:

"f00kers! application x f00ked my iphne! wtf111!!!"

My own personal opinion is that MMS, iChat etc will come in the future - and third party is a possibility. Either way I can't wait to get mine on November the 9th - I'm accepting its shortcomings. The sooner I can get rid of this bloody BlackBerry Pearl the better.

Yawn.

-Leemo