Apples Photo app ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bearcatrp, Jul 12, 2015.

1. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Just did my update from SL to yosemite. Went well. BUT, getting my photo library to convert to the new photo app won't convert. Gets hung up around 15% then freezes. I have a very large library and need this to work. Made a backup before upgrading so if something goes bad I can revert back to SL. Multiple crash reports have been submitted to apple already. Suggestions?

2. Evren Carven macrumors regular

Evren Carven

Why do you think it hangs up around 15%? Because your library is very large, it needs more time to move the photos. Please wait for it patiently.

3. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

4. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

My update seemed to freeze, I'd started it about 10pm. I went to bed - leaving it alone and it what appeared to be a frozen state and when I got up in the morning it was done.

5. Sam Gumgee macrumors newbie

From experience with upgrading iPhotos in the past, one must note the difference between incremental upgrades and 'quantum' upgrades such as you are attempting + the fact not only are you jumping from 10.6.8 to 10.10.4, they are also completely (yes completely) different software (iPhoto vs Photos).

With my incremental upgrade just within iPhotos, because I have 2 desktops, 1+1 MacBook & older PowerBook, and so on, they don't get upgraded all at the same time as in when I get to it... some may take a year or two after upgrades released. While singular incremental upgrades usually are devoid of problems (as how Apple likes you to do it), it is when I do a lets say upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mtn Lion (may not be precise but guesstimated happening in the past), the Database in question may actually require an upgrade itself (possibly called a compatibility restructuring) before one can implement the latest version software. So the thing I am getting at here is that.... Unless Apple specifically said that the iPhoto Database in 10.6.8 is readily & directly upgradable by Yosemite's iPhoto (later on Photos), you may actually need to seek out some Apple iPhoto database upgrade software to Make the Database conducive to being Recognize by the latest version of iPhoto. Failing which (that is you did not upgrade the database with this special database upgrader software from Apple), your database will seem corrupted by the latest version software even though you see & think the upgrade went without a hitch!

Following the above line of thinking, there is the possibility that your iPhoto database from 10.6.8 requires a database upgrade to that version of iPhoto in 10.10.2 Before the Apple Photos software in 10.10.3/4 could Correctly move stuff to the new Apple Photos Database structure. The thing is that a lot of times Apple upgrades are missing subroutines that warns you or stop incompatible database upgrades, proceeds and results in Hangs or Error messages later on when you try to see/retrieve media via the latest version software.

The good thing is that You Have Backups! So all is not lost. Well Done! The safest way moving forward is the painful method of doing incremental upgrade between version OSs i.e.. Snow Leopard -> Lion -> Mtn Lion -> Mavericks -> Yosemite to not 'Chance It'. The short cut is to seek out so called 'database upgrades' from Apple Software support (which unfortunately is made harder by the implementation of Apple 'App Store' which doesn't make everything apparent unlike in the past where you just tool around all their released software chronologically and find that... Aha! There is a database upgrade released software for people who jumps OSs releases.... So, you want to find such a Database Software upgrader that can help transition the Snow Leopard iPhoto database to that of say Yosemite's last released version of iPhoto.

Another thing to shorten your process is to find out definitively how far back Yosemite's iPhoto upgrade software can go back to without any compromise. It may be more then a one step process unfortunately. Also, make clear the point from Apple that the Photos Software from 10.10.3/4 can Only assimilate iPhoto database structure from 10.10.2.

Good Luck! Currently, I am staying put with 10.10.2 because I do Not currently want to deal with all that i have read about Apple's Photos. I am also running Aperture (yes, Aperture and iPhotos worked well together) to the ground while keeping abreast of developments of 3rd parties photo software. As it is, iTunes 12.1 is already giving me problems with sync issues for shared photos from iPhotos (that's my main use of iPhotos - synching to handheld devices & social/shared repositories while keeping Aperture insular) as Apple tries to 'drive' people to take up their 'new and greatest - not' Apple Photos. [Rant Off] ps.. same thing is happening with iTunes 12.2.1 with the music/media database and iCloud Match/DRM/Not-DRM fiasco currently ongoing (read today's News).

6. bearcatrp thread starter macrumors 68000

It finally upgraded. Yep, just let it run, which it did. Thanks for all the help.

7. lht0747 macrumors newbie

lht0747

The same thing I updated iPhoto to Photo app. When done, it said can not open my photo library.