Apple's plan to speed bump/introduce new rMBP models, and when?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WardC, May 11, 2014.

1. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

So...this topic has probably been beat over like a dead horse 1000x times, but I could not immediately find a suitable thread to bring this topic up, so I am doing it here.

I've decided that I am in the market for a 15" Retina MacBook Pro, but I realize that the newest models were introduced back in October of last year.

Is there any possibility Apple has plans to unveil upgraded or new MacBook Pro models at WWDC on June 2nd? Or will I have to sit and wait until September to see any updates to the line?

I do not have any huge problems with the specs of the top spec model and the fast PCIe storage, the great display, etc....I am just wondering if there will be any (at all) speed bump upgrade to be expected anytime soon, if anybody knows.

2.9GHz Crystalwell is the next iteration to that line, from what I hear.

2. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

Any update will likely just be a bump to the updated Haswell processors like on the Macbook Airs. A quiet update at WWDC is possible, but I'd expect it later than that. There were product listings for stores well before the Air refresh, and for WWDC only being a short time away, there's been nothing like that for the MBP.

Time will tell, but I'd expect a refresh closer to fall.

3. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Deader than a horse and it keeps coming back like a zombie.

Apple is highly unlikely to an update the current crop of MBP's until next year. At most we may see a slight 100MHz boost to the top level MBP but thats about all you can count on. That amounts to a negligible speed increase...

4. mcarling macrumors 65816

The whole rMBP line might get a 100MHz speed bump sometime before the holiday peak shopping season, but that would depend on Intel releasing suitable improved Haswell chips, which they have not done yet.

I would be very surprised if this would happen by WWDC.

5. The Mercurian, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014

The Mercurian macrumors 68000

I would be surprised if it didn't. The parts are coming out already:
    http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/34494-intel-lists-haswell-refresh-parts
    http://www.computerbase.de/2014-04/intel-haswell-refresh-cpu/

I presume they will have to bump it when they use up stock of the slower parts as intel are surely not continuing to make both. They probably sell alot more Air's so they had to be bumped already - although who knows Apple's stocking strategy.

6. mcarling macrumors 65816

You presume wrongly because Intel certainly will continue to make both. Do you know how many fabs Intel have? They do not all get switched over at once. Intel are still make Ivy Bridge CPUs.