Apple's Podcasts Get Overhauled Web Interface With Web Playback

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently redid the web interface for Podcasts, providing new podcast webpages with a streamlined design that's easier to navigate and built-in web playback.

Each new page features a clear recap of each episode along with a "Play" button for playing an individual episode or all of the episodes in order directly from the web browser without the need to open up iTunes.

Clicking on an episode's name opens up a full page for the episode in question, so you can see complete details about what's included in each one before deciding to listen.

As 9to5Mac points out, the prior design for podcasts on the web was just a list of podcast episodes that opened up podcasts in iTunes with no web playback option available.

Apple is planning on introducing a standalone Podcasts app on the Mac when macOS 10.15 launches, so this new web look may be a precursor to the future launch of the dedicated Podcasts app.

Article Link: Apple's Podcasts Get Overhauled Web Interface With Web Playback

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

AnoneemusOne

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2016
Virginia
I am so pleased to see the world's greatest innovator, Apple, copy some innovation in podcasting. :-(

Now maybe they can copy some innovations in Mac keyboards. Geez!

cuencap

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2011
Will this allow me to search for a guest within a podcast? As a relatively new listener of podcasts, it’s super frustrating to scroll through all of the available podcasts to find the one I’m looking for. Unless I’m missing something, it doesn’t seem possible to search with a podcast in the current iOS Podcast app.

Reactions: McG2k1 and jimthing

jimthing

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2011
London, UK (Europe, Earth, Space)
I am so pleased to see the world's greatest innovator, Apple, copy some innovation in podcasting. :-(

Now maybe they can copy some innovations in Mac keyboards. Geez!
Fair enough. But the word "Podcasts"...now where did that originate from?
[doublepost=1554938282][/doublepost]BTW, here's a link to the one in the picture:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/reply-all/id941907967?mt=2

So readers can, you know, see it / try it for ourselves, kind of like. ;-)

NB: be careful, as sometimes hitting a Play button on the webpage will just open it straight inside iTunes software, instead of the actual webpage. YMMV.

Last edited:

darkcompass

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2018
Will this allow me to search for a guest within a podcast? As a relatively new listener of podcasts, it’s super frustrating to scroll through all of the available podcasts to find the one I’m looking for. Unless I’m missing something, it doesn’t seem possible to search with a podcast in the current iOS Podcast app.
Searching for a podcast? There's a search option in the bottom right corner:
IMG_E7A65F52FA55-1.jpeg

ericg301

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
If there's anything they should make a Web version of, it's Apple Music and News+ (and soon, TV+). They can't expect to compete head-to-head if they don't offer the same, if not better, experiences as their competitors.
why? they want you to use their services, on their devices. to build up the ecosystem. it's not in their best interests to have web based versions

Remy149

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2016
If there's anything they should make a Web version of, it's Apple Music and News+ (and soon, TV+). They can't expect to compete head-to-head if they don't offer the same, if not better, experiences as their competitors.
They aren’t trying to compete head to head they are trying to make their platform more valuable. Ironically there are several services I would never have signed up for from a 3rd party especially streaming music.

CarlJ

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Apple recently redid the web interface for Podcasts, providing new podcast webpages with a streamlined design that's easier to navigate and built-in web playback.
It seems weird that an article entirely about how Apple has a new thing available on the web, has, as far as I can tell, no links to either the feature or specific examples of it. Seems like such an obvious omission. Am I overlooking something?

Last edited:
Reactions: Marekul

iRutherford

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
why? they want you to use their services, on their devices. to build up the ecosystem. it's not in their best interests to have web based versions
If that is indeed what Apple wants, then they shouldn't have made an Android version of Apple Music in the first place.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
I don't know anyone who does this. Marco Arment has a great search facility in his app, and he also provides a web version at overcast.fm. I love both of these. Marco provides great functionality in the free version of his app.

If you're searching for a particular person, I'd google on likely terms and/or see what podcasts the particular person references in his twitter feed. A search on

paul kafasis podcast

caught the recent episode he recorded for Gruber's "The Talk Show". If you're just hitting one episode, there's no need to subscribe. HTH.

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
I wouldn't count on this. History has shown that web apps aren't a core competency at Apple.

In addition, things like TV+ aren't really meant to be money makers on their own. The idea is to sell iPhones, iPads, and Apple TVs to access these services, pushing their market share higher.

cuencap

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2011
First known use of the word in print was by journalist Ben Hammersley in 2004. Before iPods supported podcasts.
But he was clearly referencing the iPod:

“With the benefit of hindsight, it all seems quite obvious. MP3 players, like Apple's iPod, in many pockets, audio production software cheap or free, and weblogging an established part of the internet; all the ingredients are there for a new boom in amateur radio.

But what to call it? Audioblogging? Podcasting? GuerillaMedia?“

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2004/feb/12/broadcasting.digitalmedia

I like “Podcast” better than “downloadable radio!”

Reactions: CarlJ

jimthing

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2011
London, UK (Europe, Earth, Space)
But he was clearly referencing the iPod:

“With the benefit of hindsight, it all seems quite obvious. MP3 players, like Apple's iPod, in many pockets, audio production software cheap or free, and weblogging an established part of the internet; all the ingredients are there for a new boom in amateur radio.

But what to call it? Audioblogging? Podcasting? GuerillaMedia?“

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2004/feb/12/broadcasting.digitalmedia

I like “Podcast” better than “downloadable radio!”
Netcasts you love, from people you trust!(tm)
Twit.tv ;-)

darkcompass

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2018
The old guard (like me, darkcompass started in dec 2004) still record and put it out on an RSS feed.
Glad the word podcast has stuck.
Adam Curry probably made it common place with his "Daily Source Code", and other shows like "Daily Download", Yeast Radio, and Coverville.