Apple's policy changed (conc. proof of purchase)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rasmusonline, Jun 25, 2012.

1. rasmusonline macrumors regular

Hello everyone!

I have a serious problem, Apple started to refuse servicing my products without a proof of purchase.

For example, I have an iPhone which has been repaired / replaced several times under warranty and currently, it is defective again and when I call Apple to get service they say they can't help me without a proof of purchase.

I don't have a proof of purchase anymore, the phone is kind of old and the last time it has been replaced, they said I have three more months warranty and they didn't say I need to bring forward any proof of purchase.

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Um...

You don't have an emailed receipt?

They can't look it up by serial number?

3. rasmusonline thread starter macrumors regular

No, I don't have an emailed receipt otherwise it would not be an issue!

Of course they could look up the serial number they actually did that, but due to "internal provisions" they need a proof of purchase which I don't have! Help!

4. All Taken macrumors 6502a

If you're UK side and paid with a card your statement from that date showing the transaction is normally more than enough for a retailer. May differ for the US.

5. rasmusonline thread starter macrumors regular

I'm from Germany but it doesn't matter at all.

Apple directly demand the proof of purchase(s). When I ask concretely they say internal provisions from their head office in Cupertino.

I have nothing concerning the phone. I bought it second hand once, got it repaired/ replaced several times under warranty and now, all of a sudden, they deny to service it further without a proof of purchase.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

7. rasmusonline thread starter macrumors regular

It is just do they have the right to decline service? Like I said, I got the phone repaired and replaced several times before, so I have three more months warranty. Whether it is flagged or not. It also had an Apple Care Protection Plan before. I want my service!

8. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Where did you buy it and how did you pay for it?

9. rasmusonline thread starter macrumors regular

I bought it years ago and probably on eBay.

It is just curious why they start now demanding a POP even though in the recent time I got it replaced several times!

10. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Have you tried contacting Apple customer service to discuss the situation with them. Maybe they can offer a way around the POP.

11. rasmusonline thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I spoke to Apple Care, they got in touch with CR /CS and they said then they have provisions from above. If I have further queries I should contact Apple in Cork in writing.

12. LaWally macrumors 6502a

And what did the folks in Cork say .. or haven't they responded yet?

13. rasmusonline thread starter macrumors regular

I got this information today. Didn't send them a letter by now. :D

But this kind of communication in writing is insufficient, it will take too long.

There must be a department that I can call directly!

14. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

What model of phone, how many years? If you bought it used, it is quite possible that any possible extended warranty has expired. Even if it hasn't, Apple's warranty transfer policy in EMEA requires:
    So, officially to get the extended warranty, the seller would have to have provided you with the original proof of purchase, and you would have to have notified Apple of the transfer in ownership. (Similar terms, with a different address, apply in other locations of the world.)

15. rasmusonline thread starter macrumors regular

No, this is not how it happened. I bought the phone used and I registered the Apple Care Protection Plan by myself!