Apple's policy to be secretive about practically everything

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Superdelphinus, May 27, 2009.

1. Superdelphinus macrumors regular

why do they do this? They must lose as much actual business as much as they gain through being so secretive about things.

For example, the IT team for the department i work in (a department in basically the largest employer in europe) decided not to use iphones as an enterprise solution because of concerns about current hardware and also because of the lack of tethering (this was before 3.0 beta was announced). If apple had made a few simple announcements confirming details then they probably would have gone with them instead of using blackberries again.

I think if apple are serious about getting more share in the business market they need to adapt their strategy accordingly. Business IT procurers aren't going to base very large investments based on details only found in rumours

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If the product is not out you can't 'invest'. So theres no real problem. :rolleyes:

3. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

It builds interest in what Apple's doing and keeps other companies from beating them with new tech say if they said that a new iPhone was coming in 8 months with features X, Y & Z, Nokia could push something out before Apple.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

I don't think Apple is serious about getting more into the business market (at this point). The only layoffs they've done this year (AFAIK) has been from their enterprise sales team.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...well Nintendo Wii isn't the best game system but due to similar practice as apple, Nintendo Wii is the most sought after system...

It builds anticipation to be secretive and keep the supply low... makes you "want" it more that its rare...

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

7. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Interesting read lol. Thanks.

But why is it that Microsoft is VERY open about the development of Windows 7 while Apple keeps Snow Leopard NDA? I guess Microsoft is okay with losing Vista sales at the moment then?

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There are a lot of complains about things that need to be improved in Windows. That does not seem to be the general consensus about OSX. Microsoft has an interest in assuring the public that they are working on fixing things. Apple just releases security updates. I mean, sure there are problems with OSX; but, the general public consensus is that there are not problems.

9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Its not really that different. Microsoft's only been 'open' about its development of Windows 7 for the last six months or so. Apple's been pretty much open about Snow Leopard since developers got their copies about a year ago. Apple does usually like to keep a few hidden secrets left for closer to launch so that competition doesn't have time to implement similar concepts.

Besides, if you're looking on the hardware side of things, I'd far rather buy products from a company such as Apple where if I buy close to launch, I'll know that it'll be current for a good few months at least. Compare this to Nokia and they already announce the successor to a product before the first products even available for purchase. I got pissed off by that so many times back before the iPhone came out. It made me feel like *all* Nokia tech was *always* old tech.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

But they announced tethering for 3.0 with the beta, rather than it suddenly appearing. They will probably announce the features of the new iPhone but not start selling it right away, just like they did with the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G. So, yes, they do make announcements. So, what's the concern? That they don't make them early enough for your IT department?