iPad Apple's possible options for iPad 2 cracked screen repair

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HiDEF, Jun 9, 2014.

1. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

I was handed an iPad 2 with a pretty bad cracked screen; magnets are showing and even the housing has some dents.

I called Apple just to see if they would be able to repair the screen but I was told they won't. However, they still want me to go in and schedule an appointment with the genius bar. So, I asked 'why?' and they said they might be able to do something for me.

Anyone know what that 'something' is? Could it be a trade?

PS- I apologize for the title of the thread but I couldn't think of an appropriate one.

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

OoW replacement maybe. You pay the OoW fee and get a refurbished iPad.

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

That sounds like a logical scenario.

If you happen to want to sell it as is let me know.

4. HiDEF thread starter macrumors 68000

HiDEF

I would be willing to sell it however, only if it makes sense; shipping could be the deal breaker.

PM if you're interested.

5. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Definitely worth checking out what Apple has to offer. Another alternative, if you want to keep the iPad, is to check locally for screen repair.

I had my daughter's mini (shattered screen and corner dent) repaired by a local shop. They did wonderful work.

6. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

Probably an out of warranty repair, you give them yours they give you a refurb. Most times it might just be cheaper to get a new one.

7. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

How would it be cheaper to get a new one over an out of warranty repair?

8. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

No maybe. They don't do screen only replacements because they didn't put in screws to open the damn things (something they really need to fix).

they will replace it. The cost being dependent on the exact model but you can expect something in between $219 and $299 plus sales tax. if you have Apple Care it would be less, under $100.

As for the refurb issue, that one is a hard call. For older models that they no longer sell you can basically expect a refurb but newer ones its less likely because they may not have them.

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Screen replacements are possible on the iPad 2. However, you are probably correct that they do not do them in store.