Apple's potential deal with Time Warner

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by dvir971, Feb 7, 2016.

1. dvir971 macrumors regular

dvir971

Hey,
    So I've been reading Apple might be interested in signing some kind of deal with Time Warner Cable.
    First of like to ask- is there any development with this? Haven't heard anything since mid-January.
    Also- can someone explain a little more about this deal? I mean- do they just want to buy the rights to stream Time Warner shows on Apple TV or something like that, or will they actually own the freaking company (or something in between)?

Thanks

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

According to 'sources close to the situation', Apple has been in talks with a variety of media providers to include their content in some sort of subscription service. If you do an internet search you'll have plenty to read. Apple has not announced anything one way or the other. All you'll get posting your question in tech forums is regurgitated rumors ;)

3. rluvbeach macrumors member

I think they are in talks to buy Time Warner, the production comapany/cable channel owner (hbo, cnn tbs, tnt, etc.), not Time Warner cable, the cable company. They are two separate companies.

4. twobelowpar macrumors member

Does this mean WB digital HD codes would include iTunes!?

5. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

apple had a much grander vision than little app channels. I think it will be a year or two to see this play out. The media companies want to own their own media portal (like cbs app) and the cable companies want to control the media companies. Apple was thinking "hey, partner with a cable company to be an apple-way IPTV set top box as long as user abc enters their cable credentials" or some such.
    I guess the advantage for the players are:
    1. the cable box is subsidized like a phone
    2. all the media rights are there
    3. it ties internet and tv service (cable gets a cut of the cord cutting pie)
    4. apple can break in like they did with AT&T... get some provider to 'believe' and demonstrate to the world what it can really be like.