Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
Since Apple just released the MacBooks, it would seem really weird for them to lower prices in 10 days. Are they already getting the CPU's cheaper? According to:

coreduoprice_FQhuJBPITD14.jpg

...the 2,0GHz Core Duo will be $129 cheaper. I guess this means a lot of PC manufacturers will lower their prices accordingly. Anyway, if they did lower their prices (which seems really unlikely), there's something you can do if you ordered the computer within 10 or 14 days, correct?

I worry too much. But I'm curious too.

The picture is taken from: http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/news.php?tid=600608
Google translation: http://translate.google.com/translate?&hl=en&u=http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/news.php?tid=600608

BlueT

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2005
Or, and this seems more likely, Apple got a deal with Intel that already includes these discounted rates. Obviously Apple would have foreseen this price drop (since many people here have known about for a couple of months, and Apple surely has insider knowledge) and incorporated it into their current pricing scheme.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
I think Apple already gave us any discount that may be passed along. Except they don't really give discounts - They increase specs at the previous price points.

They increased the MacBook Pro's processor speeds at the previous price points on the same day the MacBooks were released.

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
BlueT said:
Or, and this seems more likely, Apple got a deal with Intel that already includes these discounted rates. Obviously Apple would have foreseen this price drop (since many people here have known about for a couple of months, and Apple surely has insider knowledge) and incorporated it into their current pricing scheme.

That's what I was thinking. And of course Apple, like everyone else, know about the price drop. But they're probably already getting them cheaper, since they could've just waited two more weeks with the release.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
And there's the fact that production isn't same day as purchasing; so if there IS a price drop, it will happen a few months down the road, when the current stock of chips Apple possesses runs out and they have to re-order. But yeah, I'd be inclined to believe that they already have a pretty good rate with Intel.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
^ thats true. When I bought my iBook 8 months ago it was the exact same cost as it is today at the Apple store. Nothing has changed. This is not Dell where the price changes daily and there are a million coupon codes that work to get you a couple hundred off.

Think of it in Automobile terms. Go to a Ford dealer and you will be bombarded by rebates, customer savings, friends and family pricing, specials all the time. Go to a BMW dealer and you will be lucky to get $500 off the sticker of a $50,000 car. You pretty much pay the sticker at BMW. That is how Apple is compared to Dell.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
If the price of the chips drop Apple will probably not drop their prices straight away. Why? Well because when they buy processors they buy them in bulk. Even though the prices of those chips after May 28th will be less, the chips in their inventory will still have cost as much as they did before May 28th.

I think the current increase in specs while keeping the price constant is due to the last drop in price of Yonah chips. At least I think there was a price drop a few months ago although I may very well be wrong.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
If anything, we'll see a speed bump in the MacBook Pro's when the new chips becomes available - from 2.16 up to 2.33 - as indicated in the chart above.
Apple will keep the price point the same and just increase the specs on the higher end machines.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
So... given that we just HAD a speed bump (from 2.0 GHz to 2.16 GHz for the same price), does anyone really think that there will be a similar speed bump or price drop on May 28th, when the 2.33 GHz CPUs become available?

I am just about to order a MBP, so if it looks like there's going to be a change in the next couple of weeks, I'll be happy to wait until then... otherwise, I'll order this coming week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.